Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
Project Status
« on: December 17, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »
December 6, 2016 -

After several years of internal development, it's time to hand this project over to the "community" - a community which maybe doesn't yet exist, but we hope will come into being soon.

It is important for you to know, that as of today there is no way for you to purchase any of our products, unless you want to build them yourself. Although we have made dozens of prototypes, assembly is simply too time-consuming and complicated to make these by hand for sale in any quantity and right now there is no manufacturer lined up for production.

The original intent was not to publicize the project until people could actually purchase the TCB - if you can't get one, what's the point? But getting a manufacturer to invest a substantial amount of money in a production run, without knowing the potential demand ahead of time, is a tough sell. Talks are ongoing with several different manufacturers but so far none have made a firm commitment, and I can't predict when or if any will.

So it is time to take the opposite approach - make the project public, let people examine and discuss the capabilities of the Open Panzer project, and let things take their course. 

Everything we design is completely open source. If you are a manufacturer and want to produce these boards, all the designs and bill of materials are freely available on our Downloads page. Have at it! We do ask that you respect the copyright and maintain attribution.

To the tankers and hobbyists - I created this project because this is what I wished existed when I started building model tanks.  I hope you like it. Please read through the Wiki to see what we've made and start some conversations in the forums if you have questions.

Please remember that like the rest of you my time in this project is volunteered, and no one (so far!) has paid me anything. The work accomplished to date is my gift to the RC community, given freely. I will continue to invest in, advocate for, and lead development, but the future of Open Panzer belongs to you!

LukeZ

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
Re: Project Status
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:16 AM »
January 10, 2017 -

Great news! Hobby King has decided to produce and sell the TCB. This is a very generous move on their part as they are funding completely the manufacturing costs and undertaking all the financial risks. Hobby King has a long history of supporting open source projects and we're excited to be working with them!

Availability is tentatively scheduled for the spring of 2017. The final price price has not yet been announced but when we know more we'll post it here.

We are still shopping the Scout ESC around to various places but nothing definitive yet.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
Introductory threads have been started at the RC Universe and RC Tank Warfare forums.

RC Universe Introduction

RC Tank Warfare Introduction

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:04:53 AM »
April 3, 2017

Hobby King indicated to me they are just now starting TCB production and boards are expected in the store sometime mid-May.

Sale price for the TCB has tentatively been projected between $50-$60 US per board.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
May 16, 2017

Hobby King has revised their schedule. They are now estimating boards to be in store early July 2017.

It would not surprise me if the schedule changes yet again, I will post here with updates as I receive them.