Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Openpanzer and Beier?
« on: March 17, 2022, 03:00:03 PM »
I’m starting a new 1/6 build, an Armortek Jagdtiger. I’m looking for better sound and looking into Beier. Can openpanzer be used with the Beier sound modules.

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
Re: Openpanzer and Beier?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 04:07:23 PM »
The basic fuction will work.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 05:56:15 PM »
Hi Minimivic, yes, since the Beier can be controlled by standard RC signals, and since the TCB can output standard RC signals, you can control it that way. The Beier has many functions and you may not be able to take advantage of all of them, but as Jurgen says the basic functions should work.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 07:31:33 AM »
Just about to try this idea, I’d like to keep OP in the system so Beier is only controlling sounds and some basic function.
The way I see it:
Prop 1 and 2 are easy and should give movement sound.
Prop 3 from OP, does this output different switch values for the gun, mg and other sounds, if it does I just need to work out how Beier reads these values.
If not then the OP outputs for elevation,traverse and recoil could be used as inputs on the Beier for sounds by using a y cable.
Mg this is an unknown until I test.
Lights, OP output to Beier input and then sound and light from Beier.

Any input would be appreciated.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 01:22:54 PM »
Hi minimivic. If you set the sound card to "Benedini - Mini," the signals from both left and right are combined into the Prop 1 output, so as far as the Beier is concerned, you have a "model with 1 drive motor." As for Prop 2 and 3, they may or may not be of much use. Prop 3 serves as a 16-position RC switch with each position controlling an output as shown on the picture of the Parameter tab on the Benedini page. The Beier is designed to read a similar type of switch, which they call "Nautic." You would connect Prop 3 from the TCB to "proportional channel #3 (X2/3) or channel #4 (X2/4) of the Beier sound module." However, I am not sure if the positions that we use for the Benedini will be the same positions that the Beier expects, so this may or may not work. You might want to use the Diagnosis function of Beier "Sound-Teacher" program to monitor the outputs of this channel, and see if they can be used.

If not, it might better to set the sound card to "Open Panzer Sound Card" in OP Config. You will not be using the OP Sound Card of course, but this frees up RC Output 6-8 on the TCB (Prop 3 - 1) for other uses. On the Functions tab of OP Config, you can then assign the "Throttle Command" trigger to the "RC Output 8 - Pass-through" function, and then connect Prop 1 to the Beier proportional channel 1 for movement sound.

For other sounds, you can use a pass-through RC channel connected to the Beier. You might also be able to use the General Purpose Outputs A & B on the TCB (set them to Default High) connected to some of the "switching inputs" on the Beier.

You will have to do a lot of experimenting and in the end you may not be able to take full advantage of all the features of the Beier. I will be curious what results you have, so let us know!
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs