Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
More ideas for those who battle.
« on: September 29, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
Hi, while messing with the user sounds for the tanks I found one asking for more ammo, and that reminded me a function that I have in an old Rctanks australia board, and is the running out of ammo function.

I think it would be great to being able to set with the open panzer config the amount of the ammo the tank is cariying. In a tank I have I put exactly the same rounds the actual tank had.

For reloading it, there were three options.
1) Being destroyed. When resurrecting you appear with your ammo again.
2) Restarting the tank. Obvious reasons.
3) Repairing the tank with IR. That can be cool, either a repair tank or a service depot using the repair protocol.

Second idea, the cannon IR protocol, among others, you can select Tamiya or Tamiya 2 shot kill. I think it would be great to be able to select the one you really want to use while battling. It would be like selecting explosive rounds or armor piercing rounds. So yeah, why not to add some way to select the ammo in the heat of battle?

I dont know, I think it adds more realism to those who might want to do everything with the tannk

Anyway, if you want to add those functions, dont rush at all. At this moment I dont battle, (my children are still to young and no tank clubs in the entire country...) But I am planning to do it as soon as they grow a bit more. So the more functions, the better. :) Anyway those are just ideas, not asking for a request.

I also always wondered why in the Opconfig there is the option "accept hits from" and you only are able to select one protocol. Why is not possible to select "all"? Is not that I needed it, but I am just curious.

Offline Snipah

• As Real as Models can sound
    • View Profile
  • New Zealand
Re: More ideas for those who battle.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 12:26:39 AM »
That's a great idea. Means more tactics in play. Choose HE for Emplacements, soft skinned, and AP for a Tank! Cool
As Real as Models can sound

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 12:07:24 PM »
Hi Rad,

I had many of these same ideas at the start. In addition to what you suggested, I also provided the basic framework in code to create different damage profiles other than the stock Tamiya which simply reduces speed, for example we could have random damage parameters such as slowing down only one track, or disabling just the turret, etc...

Your ideas are good ones, I think the limited ammo amounts would make particular sense in conjunction with a phone app so the user could see how much was left, but this was never developed. As for the different types of ammo, this would work best with a custom IR protocol such that the receiving tank would also know what type it had been hit with. The custom protocol I think would need to be a community development initiative if it were ever to become a new or even alternate standard. But again, there was never a demand for such a thing and I can't say a community ever developed around the OP project (not a community of developers or clubs anyway). 

All these things are possible but as with all features they have to be prioritized and as I say there simply aren't enough people who would even use them to make it worthwhile at this point. Even among the existing RC tank user-base, IR battling is not something that is done very much except at a few large clubs. I personally have never participated in an RC tank battle and I have been in this hobby for nearly a decade. It's also an open question how practical these extra options would be in an actual battle situation, there is something to be said for simplicity and the Tamiya standard has been used for decades and people are familiar with it and seem happy with it.

Unless and until the TCB is resurrected someday, and gains much wider adoption, I am not likely to invest further development time on these fronts for now.

I also always wondered why in the Opconfig there is the option "accept hits from" and you only are able to select one protocol. Why is not possible to select "all"? Is not that I needed it, but I am just curious.
This is also possible, but I guess I never thought it would be needed. It seems likely that only tanks of a similar type would battle each other. Even if your tank can accept hits from all, no other electronics can do so. If you are battling against Heng Long, Tamiya, and VSTank models, and they are all able to hit you but they can only receive hits from one type, then that is not a very fair or useful fight.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 04:28:32 AM »
Well, this is a debateable topic.

As you point, those who battle, for example the Danvile guys, seem to be more than happy with the standard Tamiya battle options... But that is because the vast majority of people are still using Tamiya electronics and plain 4ch futaba radios, and I think nothing will make them improve the tanks. It seems they think the other electronics are too complicated, or even worse "nothing is better than tamiya" ... sigh...

Also another thing that IMHO ruins the battles is how the people drive. King Tigers jackrabitting back and fowards is just... well... LOL. I think Id never would go there just because of that.

So the way I would play IR battles with the tanks is in an ultra realistic way, and that can be only achieved using the TCBs, Elmod fusions, or crazy radio programming. But a realistic driving would benefit of realistic ballistics!

So yeah, ammo count, piercing and explosive rounds, the aleatory damage you mentioned and so on... It can be the hell of a fun. If I remember well, with the MAKO and ASP boards you even have the aleatory posibility of one hit kill, so it adds more tension to the battle.

About seeing the ammo count in a phone app, as far as I remember you can order some sort of screen at rc tanks australia that keeps monitorizing the battle, and that includes how many rounds you have left, how many "lives or hits" left, which tank shooted at you, friend or foe and much more.

Anyway, as I said, I dont battle yet, and if I do it in the future I am sure it will be pretty much with my family, so no rush at all, and not even a request. Just some more ideas to make the TCB even better.

But yep, I understand the situation, and it would be great to have a seller of the boards first. Now the benedini mini is easilyy obtainable we have some of the path done.