Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
Banggood dual channel motor controllers.
« on: May 27, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »
Hi Luke, I am going to sell my Tamiya electronics, so that means I wont be able to use the Tamiya DMD with the TCB anymore. I started looking for other options and I found this:
https://www.banggood.com/DC-5-12V-30A-PWM-Dual-Channel-Motor-Control-Module-H-Bridge-Motor-Drive-Controller-Board-p-1255703.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Do you thing we could use it with the open panzer? If yes, this might be a great find!

EDIT: Ow, I have just read the "DC" and I think that means not radio controlled...

EDIT 2: Option B: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brushed-ESC-320A-7-4-22-2V-Electric-Speed-Controller-for-RC-540-Dual-Motor/311928740222?hash=item48a066d97e:g:ChMAAOSw~l5aovJw

EDIT 3: I just noticed the ESC above wont work, it just has one servo plug... So yeah, looks like I have to buy a couple of the escs you recommended us in the wiki, or wait for you to release your esc...

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Banggood dual channel motor controllers.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »
The first controller you linked to (H-Bridge) has been mentioned before, I think on RCUniverse. It will not work because it doesn't accept RC inputs. It is an interesting piece of gear and operates very similarly to the Scout, Pololu, Sabertooth, etc... The only thing it lacks is a small processor to convert RC signals to the kind of signal the controller chips require. It wouldn't be hard for the Chinese to add this and then it would be perfect. You could get it to work with a small Arduino Nano in-between the TCB and the controller along with some code taken from the Scout project. But the wiring would be a mess and by the time you get all the little bits and bobs it would not save much money.

The second ESC you list will work just fine but you will need to buy 2 of them. That is the same as with any other ESC. The HobbyKing XCar 45 is probably of higher quality though.

The Sabertooth and Pololu controllers are the best options for performance and simplicity. Yes they cost a bit of money but RC tanks are expensive!

NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 02:05:57 PM »
Yes, let us know. Obviously we want a speed controller without brake. The documentation says nothing about the ability to disable it, but maybe that is what the switch is for. At 2kHz frequency these are likely to be  bit noisy, but they're definitely cheap!
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 03:38:36 PM »
Hi, yes, the small switch at the back is for enabling or disabling the brake. Ill update as soon as I have news... Hope it does not do a lot of noise...

Offline Brycevr

• View Profile
  • Bathurst, NSW, Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 03:52:23 AM »
Little update here. I ordered a couple of this today:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-0V-9-4V-2KHz-Driver-Frequency-RC-ESC-20A-Brush-Motor-Electronic-Speed-Controller-W/32884825228.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.687c4c4dEi8lka

So lets see how it goes! :D

I've ordered a few of these as well.
I have heaps of the cheap 45A if I need them but I'm trying to do a mini install with on of these as well

I intend to solder it straight to the input pins so it sits perpendicular the TCB.
I'm also going to test a few cheap blue tooth modules and I'll get back to you on those.
PPM AFHDS receiver.jpg
Banggood dual channel motor controllers. PPM AFHDS receiver.jpg
Views: 2497

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 01:32:58 PM »
I'm also going to test a few cheap blue tooth modules and I'll get back to you on those.
Our friend Sergey has some information about using a cheap Chinese bluetooth module in his thread here.

At this moment the recommended Bluetooth module from Adafruit is discontinued while they create a new version. When they release the updated product I will update the Wiki, in the meantime you can always use the cheap Chinese ones but they are more difficult to setup and will not support flashing new firmware.

Anyway I don't want to derail this thread so if more discussion of bluetooth is desired go ahead and start a new one and we can keep this one focused on the Banggood motor controllers.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Mini_Char

• View Profile
  • FRANCE

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 10:19:43 AM »
Thanks for posting those, I had seen the Scorpion before but the AliExpress controllers seem to be new designs.

Yes, all three should work with the TCB by setting drive motors to RC Output. All three controllers offer BEC, be sure to disable this before connecting to the TCB! This is very easy to do, see instructions here.

Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Mini_Char

• View Profile
  • FRANCE
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »
Thank you for your answer ! Which one will be the best ?  Is the 5A controller powerful enough for a 1/16 metal tank?

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »
I would recommend the 20A instead. The listed ratings are often optimistic and 5 amps is already marginal for heavy models.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 02:01:47 PM »
Lol, just when I have received the ESCs a new dual controller appears...

Anyway, as I said, I just received a couple of those cheap aliexpress 20A Escs, and I did my electronics package for the king tiger.

In the base, you can find the TCB. On top the Open Panzer sound board. Those two black things on the right are the two ESCs, (I removed the bulky on-off switch, and also the brake switch, and of course the red wire from the servo connector) and what about the 16ch receiver? It is between the sound card and sound unit and seems to work well. I run my tank close to me, if it was a plane it could be a problem, but for the tank it just works good. I might need to replace the power wires because the ones I am using might be too small. Also BEWARE! I used a JST connector that came straight from China, and the black wire was the positive and the red the negative! I almost fried my boards, I am glad I just checked before switching it on!

So as seen, a nice and small package can be done, and it will fit most (if not all) of the 1:16 scale tanks.

IMG_20180811_133137.jpg
Banggood dual channel motor controllers. IMG_20180811_133137.jpg
Views: 1594
IMG_20180811_133040.jpg
Banggood dual channel motor controllers. IMG_20180811_133040.jpg
Views: 943

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 11:37:25 AM »
Uops, yesterday I forgot to say, if you remove the power switches in the ESCs, you have to bridge the contacts, otherwise it wont turn on. And regarding the small switch that I removed too, thats for activating or not the brake. When removed, you dont need to jumper anything, so thats great.

Offline Shorty54

• View Profile
  • MN, USA
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 08:18:40 PM »
Looks great!  Very neat and clean. 
I hope mine will look that nice and neat.

Enjoy,
Shad

Offline smaily

• View Profile
  • Slovakia - Košice
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 07:55:33 AM »
Rad_Schuhart how nice set You have done with ESC, and sound card. I hope OP sound card will be available soon, as I would like to see such setup in my Pz. III. As You know, there is not much free space for all that is needed in this small tank  ;D

bomber-explosion