Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
Strange Behavior
« on: July 24, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »
Hello Luke,
i recognize a Strange Behavior when the cannon is fired...
In my Panther i use the Taigen mechanical recoil with  Taigen high-intensity flash unit
Fire the cannon by drive - the tank stuck very hard.
Fire the cannon three or four times the motor sound is stopping - all other sounds function
to reenable the motor sound i have to reset the TCB.

Cannon Fire by turret function top middle.
Auto start engine with trottle.

When i change the Function like the follow picture, all do fine:

Config.jpg
Strange Behavior Config.jpg
Views: 985

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Strange Behavior
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 01:44:20 PM »
When you say:

Fire the cannon by drive - the tank stuck very hard.

Do you mean that if you fire the cannon while the tank is moving, the tank comes to a stop?

It sounds like two different issues - the stopping issue, and the Benedini sound synchronization issue. But both issues are resolved just by changing the cannon fire trigger from Top Center to an aux channel?

I see you also have Machine Gun - Fire set to Top Center, that would probably conflict with the Cannon Fire if you had set both to Top Center.

I will try to replicate on this end. Can you also post your OPZ file of the configuration that doesn't work (ie, cannon fire top middle).

EDIT: Actually, can you post both OPZ files, the one that is not working and the one that is.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jhamm

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 02:22:30 PM »
Hi Luke,

yes the Tank stop very hard.

change the MG to Top Center and second MG to bottom center , when change the cannon trigger to the switch.

i have only the actual file.... ::)
PantherG.opz
(21.94 kB ~ Downloads: 334)

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 07:44:30 PM »
Jürgen, I have made a setup almost identical to yours but I can not replicate your problem.

Here is my best guess - it is very easy for the turret stick to trigger something you don't want, especially when you use a trigger in a corner next to a trigger along a side.

In your case, you had Engine toggle in the top left corner, and Cannon Fire at the top center. Sometimes when you fire the cannon if you did not move your stick exactly straight up, the TCB may have detected that it was getting close to the top left corner. So it also triggered the toggle engine function, even though you only meant to trigger cannon fire. This would cause your immediate hard stop, and it would also turn off the engine sound, but the other sounds would continue to work, exactly as you described.

If you are going to use the turret stick for triggers, it is best to keep everything in the corners, or everything on the sides. You can do both if you must but then the odds of triggering the wrong thing by mistake are higher.

For example if you want to keep engine toggle in the top left, maybe try putting cannon fire in the top right, instead of top center. Or if you want to keep the cannon at top center, perhaps move engine toggle to middle left. This moves the triggers farther away from each other on your turret stick so you are less likely to trigger the wrong thing on accident.

The fact that everything works, including the fact your tank does not stop on cannon fire, when you move the cannon fire trigger to an aux channel, tells me this must be the explanation.

Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 07:49:45 PM »
One more comment not related to your problem, but which I noticed when I look at your OPZ file. You are using User Sound 1 for your second machine gun sound. Instead of the Play Once function, you probably want to use the "User Sound 1 - Repeat" function so your machine gun sound continues to loop for as long as it is active.

But I have also given more thought to implementing a second machine gun after we talked about it the other day. In the next release which I will issue this week, I am going to make a dedicated 2nd Machine Gun function and it will be assigned to L2. It will have its own blink interval setting (so it can blink faster or slower than regular MG) and like the regular MG function this one will also automatically trigger the correct sound, so you don't have to create extra function-triggers for the sound.

You can still create a second MG exactly as you have done using the Aux output, but this method will be more direct, and it will leave the Aux output free for other uses (for example your cannon flash).
Functions.png
Strange Behavior Functions.png
Views: 887
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 08:59:54 PM »
Here is my best guess - it is very easy for the turret stick to trigger something you don't want, especially when you use a trigger in a corner next to a trigger along a side.

PS: you can confirm whether my guess is correct, if you operate your tank while connected in Snoop mode. This is where the bluetooth adapter would come in handy, but you can still do it at your desk.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jhamm

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 12:11:00 AM »
Hello Luke,

At the time when the problem was present, the Turret Stick had only two Functions:
- Cannon Top Center
- MG Bottom Center
There was no possibility to use something wrong.

I will setup the TCB at the evening to the old settings and check if the behavior returns....

Better we find such errors now, before the TCB is available in large quantities.  ;D

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:52:32 AM »
Yes I agree if there is an error I want to find it. Let me know if you can reproduce it and I will examine further.

Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jhamm

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 01:05:10 PM »
Hello Luke,
today i do a test with the old setup...
Noting - now all work fine!    ::)
I don´t know what happens.  :o

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »
Well thanks for following up anyway. It is certainly possible to create a set of conflicting function-triggers and I would not be surprised if that had something to do with it. But of course it is not impossible for a bug to be present in the firmware as well. If you find anything strange again let me know and we will track it down!
Open Panzer FAQs

bomber-explosion