Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Odd Motor A B problem with turret rotation
« on: May 12, 2022, 02:19:49 PM »
For my turret rotation (slew on the 1/6 jagdtiger) I am using an actuonics linear actuator 12v. I cannot get it to work from the A or B outputs.

TCB is fed with 12v linear actuator is 12v, I can test the A and B outputs with a 12V LED and it works perfectly, but the linear actuator will not operate.
I can directly power the actuator and it works fine, what am I missing.
Specs if it helps.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Odd Motor A B problem with turret rotation
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 08:25:38 AM »
Hi Mini, I assume you are talking about the A or B Motor outputs? (And not the general purpose I/O ports).

I see there are various versions of the L12, the I, S, R, or P. Can you tell us what version you have? For use with the A or B motor outputs, I think you would have to have the L12-S. If that is what you have and it is still not working, it could be that the actuators only accept on/off voltage (in other words there is no speed adjustment), whereas the motor outputs are variable speed.

If you had the -I or -R version, you could control them with one of the RC outputs on the TCB. I don't think have the -R version because that is limited to 6 volts.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 09:37:44 AM »
Luke,

Yes l12s 12v is what we have. I have l16r for my elevation and that’s works great with pan effect.

From previous email response with action is
“                    Sounds like you want to emulate a hydraulic system, so the "R" series are not what you need.  As you have noticed they will directly follow the stick position. If you use one of our "S '' series actuators with a brushed reversible speed controller the actuator will only move when the stick is either side of center, much like hydraulic controls.”

I thought it would work just fine, I have tried with full stick and no different.

Confused.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 10:11:17 AM »
Ok, that is interesting. They say it will work with a brushed speed controller, and that is what the A and B motor outputs are, so I don't know why it wouldn't work. The motor outputs do use a higher frequency than many cheap speed controllers, to cut down on motor whine, but that is the only difference.

You said you have tested the actuator by "directly powering" it. Assuming that means you just connected it straight to a battery, do you have a brushed speed controller you could try? If that doesn't work, maybe the actuator is defective in some way.

One other test is to connect the actuator to the Motor A output, but on the Motors tab of OP Config set the Turret Rotation to "Detached." Next create a function trigger that assigns a switch on your transmitter to the functions "Motor A - On" and "Motor A - Off." Now the Motor A output will operate simply like a switch (full on or full off). Of course you will get movement only in one direction, and at full speed. It will not be useful for your turret but it is a test to see if there is any issue with voltage from the motor outputs (I doubt it).
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 12:33:37 PM »
The detached option works perfectly

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 12:38:18 PM »
Problem solved. Motor speed needed to be set at 100% and any speed change has to be done with the transmitter.
Thanks again for the help.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 02:03:36 PM »
Good work! I'm glad you found the solution, and I hope this will be useful to someone else in the future.
Open Panzer FAQs

bomber-explosion