Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

ATMEGA2560-16AU Alternative
« on: October 25, 2021, 04:27:01 AM »
Hi,

Am struggling to get this chip, seems in very short supply ATMEGA2560-16AU is there any alternatives i can use, i can get on back order but its months away.

Thanks

Steve

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: ATMEGA2560-16AU Alternative
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 07:41:19 AM »
No, there is no alternative. There are other form-factors of the same chip (for example ball-grid-arrays) but they will not be compatible with this board design.

I am sure you have heard of the global chip shortage that has affected many industries... this is it. Someday theoretically it should clear up, but when that will be I can't say.

I do see there are still Chinese sellers on eBay and probably AliExpress and other similar sites selling individual chips. You take your chances with those but it's the only avenue I see open right now.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 08:34:30 AM »
Hi Luke,

Thanks for the response, i thought that might be the case. I may take a chance and get hold of a couple from China and hope for the best.

thanks

Steve

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 09:56:35 AM »
Hi,

did you try the atmega from alliexpress? There is some that seem to be ok. Did some people have good experience with these chip and from wich seller?

Offline NS-21

• dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 02:28:03 PM »
I was in great shock when I learned that ordinary components (microchips, not graphics chips for video accelerators) turn out to be - there is a huge shortage all over the world.

I'm sorry that I can't assemble my small version of the Open Panzer Sound Card due to the complete lack of key chips.

Mouser.com promises tiny availability (700 chips) only by August of this year.

For my TCB crafts, I use Robotdyn MEGA2560 Pro Embed boards bought on Ali as chip donors.

I already got working test versions of my TCB version - just soldering the chips from this board, without even programming the bootloader. Everything worked great.

In order not to create a new topic with questions regarding the radio elements of the TCB project, I will ask the respected LukeZ what he thinks about replacing the MIC29300-5.0WU with the LM1085S-5.0

I am very confused by the manufacturer LM1085S-5.0 (Manufacturer - HGSEMI)

The microcircuit that LukeZ uses in its original project is a well-known manufacturer, but the price of the microcircuit is high.
The only replacement that I picked up - the manufacturer is unknown to me, and the price is small.

I read the data sheet - it seems identical.

Thanks in advance for the responses and opinions of all members of the community.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 12:34:08 PM »
Hi NS, you are right, the chip shortage is a real problem everywhere now.

Yes the LM1085 should work. The biggest difference I can see is that it has a larger "dropout voltage" of about 1.5 volts. This means that the output voltage could be up to 1.5 volts less than the input voltage (your battery). Depending on what kind of battery you are using, this could mean the regulator becomes unable to maintain 5 volts as the battery starts to get low. A 6-cell NiMH would be the most problematic, and you might find your board rebooting or just stopping before the battery is fully discharged. A 7 cell NiMH or a 2S LiPo should have no problems.

Another option if you can find it is MIC29310-5.0WU. They seem to be in stock at the EU Mouser. It has a maximum dropout voltage of 1 volt so is a little better.

The MIC29300 we used has a maximum dropout voltage of less than 1/2 volt which is really impressive, and is also why it was more expensive.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline NS-21

• dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 12:53:04 PM »
Live a century - learn a century (s). Russian proverb. Thanks.

That's the level of voltage drop - I did not pay attention.
In general, this is very upsetting.
I just started to understand electronics, gained some basic knowledge - but you can’t assemble anything because of the lack of elements.

Dear LukeZ.

You reminded me about the bootloader, and the need to flash the chip from the store. I redesigned my boards and added pogo-pin pads to flash the bootloader.

Can you tell me how to turn the Arduino chip - as if it were from the factory, so that I can try out how to flash the bootloader.

I also had problems in the OP Config version, which I translated into Russian.

There are problems in the section - reading the radio. The program stops showing the movement of sticks and switches.

Tell me where I should write to ask you a question.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 01:07:11 PM »
Can you tell me how to turn the Arduino chip - as if it were from the factory, so that I can try out how to flash the bootloader.
I recently created a thread just for that topic, you can find it here: Flashing Bootloader to Blank ATmega2560

If you have any questions about flashing the bootloader you can ask them in that thread.

I also had problems in the OP Config version, which I translated into Russian.

There are problems in the section - reading the radio. The program stops showing the movement of sticks and switches.

Tell me where I should write to ask you a question.
For this question it would be better to start a new thread in the Open Panzer Help area. Try to describe as best you can what problem you have and I will help you there.
Open Panzer FAQs

bomber-explosion