Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
Sabertooth driver 12 Ampx2
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »
I am currently using the Sabertooth 12 x2 and have the S1 and S2 cables plugged directly into the Elev/Ail on the
receiver. With this particular model would Sig 1 (Forward/backward) cable only plug directly into the TCB or is there
a combination that needs to be spliced in? Thanks :)
81BGlwOgOaL._SL1000_.jpg
Sabertooth driver 12 Ampx2 81BGlwOgOaL._SL1000_.jpg
Views: 1954

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Sabertooth driver 12 Ampx2
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 10:26:22 AM »
Tom, have you read through the Wiki? There are detailed instructions there. Here is the page on serial motor controllers, there are even photos showing how to connect.

The Sabertooth connects to the TCB with a serial cable (included with the TCB). That's it, that's all you need to do. No splicing.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »
Tom, on closer inspection it appears you may have the Sabertooth 2x12 RC, not the regular Sabertooth 2x12. I recommend everyone buy the full version of the Sabertooth, no the RC versions - the full version will do RC, but also serial. The RC versions only accept RC control.

But you can still use an RC version Sabertooth with the TCB. Set the Drive Motor Type to RC Output in OP Config, then plug in the servo cables into the TCB's RC outputs 1 & 2. The dipswitch settings will not be as shown in the Wiki. You will want to turn off all mixing, exponential, and ramping on the Sabertooth and let the TCB handle those instead.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »
Thanks! Pretty cool can even use RC version (which I have) but will probably get the other one (non RC for the TCB) as I was going to
get one more for another tank using BARC/TBS atm.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
I guess I had never thought of people using the R/C only versions of the Sabertooth controllers, so the documentation had never addressed them. I've update the Wiki to include a section on these.

For those who may read this thread later, note that Dimension Engineering sells two types of Sabertooth controllers. The 2x5 R/C and 2x12 R/C can only be controlled by R/C signals, not via serial! Observe that those have "R/C" in the product name.

The entire rest of the Sabertooth range including the full featured 2x5 and 2x12 (without R/C in the product name) can be controlled in multiple ways including RC but also via Serial which is the best option.

If you already own one of the limited R/C versions, it can still be used with the TCB. But if you are looking to buy a new Sabertooth, I highly recommend you get the full-featured version. If you want to use it later in a regular RC model you still can, but when combined with the TCB it can be controlled via serial. In the case of the 2x5 the price is even the exact same so there's absolutely no point in getting the R/C version.

Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
I intend to use the recommended Saber or the Scout ESC you guys are working on with my first TCB but is there
any downside at all using the RC version of the Saber?

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 07:42:14 PM »
There is no great downside, just minor inconveniences.

• It is more wiring to use the RC version (but not much).
  • If you use the serial-capable version you free up two RC outputs on the TCB for other purposes, although most people won't need those outputs for anything, so again not a big deal.
  • The 2x12 RC has a calibration routine that would be an inconvenience to go through, although the factory defaults should work out of the box so you might be able to avoid it.
I have not tested the RC versions personally so who knows, some other drawback may be discovered. But really they should all work; however I still recommend people buy the serial-capable versions (that can also do RC for other projects if you need).

This Sabertooth 2x5 is the one that will best meet the needs of most tankers in 1/16th scale.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 07:13:42 PM »
No downside to the 12 x2? (non RC version) Figure with a few tanks with 480 motors and 20 lbs. may not be a bad idea or do you think it is overkill?

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 08:05:58 PM »
Actually the size of the 2x5 Saber is nice so if you guys have been testing it with 20 tanks doing neutral turns fine with it..it seems to be the best option!
Really looking forward to the TCB release and with the TBS upgrade to open up a few more sound options it will be awesome. 

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 09:35:53 PM »
I have not tested the 2x5 with 20 tanks or with 20 lb tanks either one. If you want to know what is best for your model you need to measure the current draw of your setup.

There is no downside to the 2x12 unless it is more than you need, in which case the downside is the extra cost and its enormous size.

In testing with my own heavy Jagdtiger with Taigen steel 4:1 gearboxes, I can confirm the motors are capable of drawing more than 5 amps, but not in normal usage. They pretty much have to be stalled, and in fact by the time I get to about 5 amps the motor has already begun smoking.

The 2x5 can handle up to 10 amps per channel for short periods of time, and has over-current protection so you can not damage it by drawing too much. Personally I'd rather have my ESC shut down my motor if a rock gets stuck in the tracks rather than power through it and break something worse.

But there are lots of gearboxes, motors, and models out there. Only you can answer your question accurately, by taking your own measurements. Then you will know exactly where you stand and what you need.

Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 09:46:06 PM »
Based on what you said the 2x5 appears to be my best choice...thanks.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 09:11:24 AM »
Ordered the  Saber 5 x 12 and looking forward to hooking it up to the TCB! May try the RC verison on the next tank with a TCB but for now trying to make it all a smooth as possible. Plus as you the stated it (5x2) is quite a bit -smaller which will be necessary in small tanks.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »
Again other people read these threads and it's important we be clear so as not to create confusion.

There is no such thing as a "Saber 5 x 12". I think what you meant to say is that you purchased the Sabertooth 2x5. We don't know what tank you have, or what motors/gearbox, but you have assumed that 5 amps per side will be adequate for your needs without measuring your actual current draw.

Most likely that is a correct assumption but either way, it will be good in the future if you can report back your specific setup and how you fared with the 2x5. That will be useful information for others with similar models wondering which controller to buy.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 01:19:29 PM »
Luke good point..I will take more care with these names as yes all of it is confusing potentially without  my adding to it. But yes will report back as soon as it is connected and running.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
The Scout when released will be 2 x 10 amps per motor correct? Though I will test the 2 x 5 Saber in my heaviest tank at
first to see how it performs etc.

bomber-explosion