Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

1/6 scale T34 project
« on: August 02, 2021, 02:16:10 AM »
Just introducing my sons tank.
It’s a 1/6 scale Russian T34 76 from mark 1 tanks.
We bought as a project and have rebuilt pretty much the whole thing.

Full metal chassis, cad designed and made in my workshop.
Original motors, tracks and sprockets with modifications.
Control is now a 10 channel fly sky and openpanzer TCB, sabertooth 32amp ESC.
Sound is benedini mini with additional amplifier, and 2 box speakers. Subwoofer is an under seat pioneer car speaker.
Smoke is from rcsmokers.com and works well, it’s water based so no odours or fumes.
More pics on my flickr
https://flic.kr/s/aHskLducVp

Untitled by minimivic, on Flickr

Tank lower chassis by minimivic, on Flickr

First test run with Openpanzer and new ESC
T34 first run on Open panzer TCB,Sabertooth 32amp esc and benedini sound. by minimivic, on Flickr

Offline JPS99

• View Profile
  • Beautiful Erie, PA
Re: 1/6 scale T34 project
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 07:52:00 AM »
Wow, that's a really nice T34!  Would love to see some video in action and to be able to hear the sound programming.
Thanks for posting!
RETIRED!
Don't Want To
Don't Need To
Can't Make Me!!!

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 10:46:06 AM »
That's pretty impressive! The sound of the clacking metal tracks is quite realistic. I see it tears up your grass in a realistic manner too. ;)

Joe, there's a video on his Flickr if you go there.

I'd be interested to see how the water-based smoker turned out.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 12:07:51 PM »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 01:58:23 PM »
Wow, super cool video. I am not sure if you are the absolute first, but you are at least the first that I'm aware of to fully utilize the TCB in a 1/6 scale tank. It is very gratifying to see it work so well. You were even brave enough to try track recoil!

You may find it enjoyable to experiment with the different turning modes as well as acceleration and deceleration constraints. If you are using the FlySky FS-i6 transmitter I like to put the three turn modes on one of the three position switches, and acceleration and deceleration adjustments assigned to the two knobs. This way you can adjust everything while driving (rather than setting it to some fixed thing in OP Config), and it lets you really see what difference each of the settings make. 

I can also see your smoker working once you get moving. The smoke looks pretty much the same as the traditional oil-based smokers which is nice, but it doesn't seem to do much at idle. If you wanted to improve that, there are two approaches you could take, but both of which would require modifying your smoker so you have separate wiring to your fan and heating element, whereas now I believe they are connected together inside the smoker unit.

The first approach would be as Osikia described in your smoker thread. Leave your OP Config setup the same as now (where Smoker Type is set to "Combined Heat & Fan" in OP Config). Plug the fan into the SMOKER output on the TCB. Then you will need a 5 volt relay unit to turn on/off the heating element (the 5 volts is to turn on/off the relay, but the relay itself can control something at higher voltages, in this case your 12 volt heating element). Connect the relay unit to either the General Purpose A or B outputs and assign it to a switch on your transmitter. You could assign it to the same switch you use to turn on/off the engine so it comes on automatically when you start the engine and turns off when you turn off the engine. Now whenever the engine is on your heating element will always be on full power no matter what your speed, but your fan will continue to vary with engine speed as it should. This should give you more smoke at idle.

The second approach is more fancy but may not result in any better of an effect in the end. Here we select "Separate Heat & Fan Controls" as the Smoker Type in OP Config, and this time instead of the fan, plug the heating element into the SMOKER output on the TCB. Typically then we would connect the fan to the Aux output, but your fan I believe is 12 volts and the Aux output on the TCB is only 5 volts. But what you can do is a get a cheap small brushed ESC for the fan. Your fan draws hardly any current so the ESC doesn't need to be anything special but it does need to be able to handle 12 volts since that's what you're using in your tank.

Because you are using the Sabertooth for the drive motors, you have RC Output 1 and 2 both free for other uses. Connect your fan ESC to one of those RC Outputs then on the Functions tab select the "RC Output - Pass-through" function and assign it to the "Engine Speed" trigger.

The only difference here from the first approach is that instead of your heating element always being on 100%, you can adjust the amount of current that goes to the heating element (under the Smoker section of the Motors tab of OP Config). You could even set it so the heating element has less power at full speed than it does at idle. But whether this will really make any noticeable difference is hard to say. These heating elements don't change temperature very quickly, and the visible effect is mostly dictated by the fan speed. However I'm just putting out all the options in case you like to tinker. ;)
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 04:37:10 PM »
Luke thanks for the pointers.

We are at bare bones right now, it’s working. Fine tuning to come but the 10 channels have run out fast. I have 2 mgs, 1 is the main, the second on light 2 output which I can get working with the mg but I loose sound. I have the hatch on a servo, light on/ off, smoker on/off, engine start,mg, main gun fire, volume all on switches or dials.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 06:58:51 PM »
Yeah the channels go quick on a full-featured model, that's for sure! But your project is a great example of exactly why I wanted to create this board and have it accept up to 16 channels.

You should be able to get sound for your second machine gun, put the sound file in position 11 of the 1st coder column in Benedini's TBS Flash, and then use the "2nd Machine Gun" functions in OP Config. It doesn't have to be the same sound file as you use for the first MG (which goes in position 4 of 1st coder).
Open Panzer FAQs

bomber-explosion