Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Smoker advise for 1/6 needed
« on: July 07, 2021, 03:42:44 PM »
On my t34 1/6 scale I’m wanting a smoker.

I have the TCB smoke outlet and I have both 12 and 24v available. Also a sabertooth esc.

I have a tarr on the 1/16 tank with less than impressive results.

I’m looking at rcsmokers.com and a water based unit is appealing.
Would I need a 6v, 12v or 7.2v with or without esc. Confused.

Any recommendations or advise would be great.
I’ll upload some build pictures soon.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Smoker advise for 1/6 needed
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 04:36:26 PM »
Hi Minimivic and welcome to the forum,

I checked out the rcsmokers.com webpage which appears simply to be his eBay store. I didn't see anything listed with regards to current draw and that would be interesting to know, for both the fan and heating element. The SMOKER output on the TCB can supply up to 3 amps (at whatever battery voltage you provide the board). This limit is actually only the limit for the JST connector on the board, the MOSFET can handle more current. Assuming his combined fan/heating element current doesn't exceed 3 amps, or doesn't by much, you will be fine without a separate ESC.

Since the TCB can't operate beyond 15 volts, I would recommend you feed it 12 volts and go with the 12 volt smoker attached to the SMOKER output on the board.

In the Smoker section of OP Config (on the Motors tab) use the following settings:
Control - "Auto (with engine speed)"
Type - "Combined Heat & Fan"
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 01:14:32 PM »
rcsmokers just replied saying 2.6 amps at 12v so I have ordered one and will see how it goes. It better work at the price.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 06:48:47 PM »
Well I am sure it will work from a technical point of view. Whether it generates as much smoke as you hope, you will have to let us know!
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline osika

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 01:08:49 PM »
I have a TARR smoke unit and use the smoke output on the TCB to control the fan and have a separate input from the battery to a voltage regulator to the heating element. This way I can dial up the voltage on the smoker. About 9 volts seems about right. The switch is the one Luke suggested that can be used as on/off via the radio. So if I want to use smoke unit..just flip two switches on the radio to activate fan and current to smoker.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 01:22:58 AM »
I’m going to add Openpanzer to our second 1/6 tank over Christmas.
The smoker is 24v and has a separate switch which is good for the club events as you can’t accidentally turn it on from the tx.
At the moment it’s not proportional but has separate fan and heater.
How do we tackle this challenge? Op has 12v output so thinking use that main 24v switch for heat and the op for fan with proportional.
Any better ways.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 06:01:21 AM »
OP has 12v output so thinking use that main 24v switch for heat and the op for fan with proportional.

That should work, so long as the fan will run at 12 volts.
Open Panzer FAQs