Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline osika

• View Profile
Squeak settings
« on: June 11, 2021, 10:17:45 PM »
First off I love the function of the 3 slots for random track squeaks and how adjustable it is! Great idea. My only issue is
it seems to work at times but not others? When it does it sounds great but other times, just won't kick in..curious if this is a common issue. Or if any way to get it to be more consistent? Interval setting is set at 1000/2000 2000/5000 3000/8000 mS

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Squeak settings
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 04:12:30 PM »
Hi osika, as you know there is a minimum speed setting in OP Config right beneath the squeak timings, that determines what speed the model must achieve before the squeaks will become enabled. So if you are just moving slowly they may not come on.

Another thing which I don't think was ever documented in the Wiki, is that even when the model exceeds the minimum speed, the TCB waits 3 seconds before starting the squeaks. In my testing it sounded strange to me when the squeaks started right away, which is why I added that. And of course, even after the 3 second delay, there will also be the random delay based on your interval settings before any given squeak begins.

Anyway, if you are driving slow, or if you are doing a lot of stop-and-go driving (where you don't maintain a speed above the minimum for more than 3 seconds), then it could appear they are not working.

Of course it is possible there could be another issue, but that is less likely. You can do a test where you run the model beyond the minimum speed for greater than 3 seconds and the squeaks should always begin.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline osika

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 11:09:11 PM »
Hi Luke, thanks all makes sense. One thing though, could you reduce the 3 second minimum to 0 - 1 second?
As the setting minimum % speed before squeaking could adjust that better..as in 3 seconds it would be possible
to get a pretty high speed but if left at zero time, this then could allow the squeaks to start at 5 % 10% etc.
But either way..thanks!

Offline osika

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 10:41:16 PM »
I'll test again tomorrow but it does seem even when driving steady for more than 3 seconds and min speed set low 3% sometimes the squeaks don't happen? I tried setting the min max to the lowest settings too but that didn't effect it. Usually the TCB works fine and it is something else! But right now it seems the squeaks are not being activated.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 09:20:01 PM »
Hi Osika, my sincere apologies for the very slow reply. I certainly can remove the 3 second delay and I think it makes sense to do so. I will also try to see if I can reproduce the problem that you describe and figure out what is going on there. I know back when I was writing that I finally drove myself crazy with squeak noises and I've had them turned off ever since. Possibly a bug has crept in since.

I might be a bit slow to update the firmware, but rest assured I won't forget.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline osika

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 09:22:04 AM »
Thanks Luke! That would be awesome. When they activate it is a great effect. Tricky to get the right sounds but that is part of the fun
and can be experimented with. Activating a repeat sound layered over the engine is good too but the loop needs to be longer to sound right so the problem is when the tank stops, those sounds keep going on. So the random squeaks are great idea :)

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 06:39:25 PM »
Hi Osika. I've posted a new version of TCB firmware that removes the 3 second delay before the squeaks can begin. Now they will simply begin whenever your vehicle speed exceeds the level that you specify.

The new firmware is 0.93.74 and you can download it in OP Config. You don't need to download a new version of OP Config.

I tried to reproduce your problem where sometimes the squeaks would not start at all, even after the delay. In my testing this never happened, they always came on eventually. Looking at the code I couldn't see anything that would prevent it from working correctly either. It is certainly possible that other sounds can interrupt or prevent a squeak from playing, if that other sound has a higher priority (for example, if you are firing the machine gun this may temporarily block the squeaks). But even so, those cases should be temporary and if you are still moving forward they should resume when the other sound is done.

Anyway you can give this new firmware a try, but please let me know if you still have the same problem.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline osika

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 03:34:20 PM »
Hey Luke,

Thanks for the firmware update! It seems sporadic in terms of squeaks going off?
Lowered engine parameter volume so I can make sure..and sometimes it triggers
but not others. Tried shutting engine on and off..turning everything on then off
and again sometimes it works and other times no squeaks:) ?

Tried both TCB boards and doing it on both so it is interesting.

I attached the settings to see if anything stands out to you.

King Tiger B.opz
(23.75 kB ~ Downloads: 190)

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 07:50:23 PM »
I am not really sure what could be causing this. I have made a change which may or may not help. Please give the attached Hex below a try.

You can load this hex using OP Config on the Firmware tab by clicking the "Use your own Hex" button instead of the get latest release button.
SqueakTest.hex
(319.05 kB ~ Downloads: 203)
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline osika

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 08:38:20 AM »
How cool Luke you fixed it! What ever you did..it worked..now squeaks activate perfectly :)

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 09:56:18 PM »
Great! If you wouldn't mind, could you try one more test (attached below)? Whether it works or not will help me to understand what might have been the cause.
SqueakTest2.hex
(319.39 kB ~ Downloads: 199)
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline osika

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 10:15:25 PM »
Sure will try tomorrow!

Offline osika

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 10:41:39 PM »
Do you want me to test on the board that is now working or test on the other board that I did not load the new hex onto yet?

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 10:52:13 PM »
Good question. I would test on the board that is now working. If it still works, that will tell me something, or if it goes back to being broken, that will tell me something too. Either way it will be good information.

No hurry, and thanks for your help!

Open Panzer FAQs

Offline osika

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 09:09:16 AM »
Works with both! Great fix what ever it was :)  Now working on getting the right sounds which is tricky but fun.

bomber-explosion