Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline JPS99

• View Profile
  • Beautiful Erie, PA
3D printed 1/10 scale IS-1 Russian Tank
« on: August 21, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and thought I'd show you my 3D printed IS-1. It is pretty big at 1/10 scale and was my first tank.  I am retired and started 3D printing 1 year ago when I bought my first Creality Ender 5.  My first big project was a 1/10 scale Tatra 815-7.  While assembling it I came across Lubos Hort's gorgeous IS-1 which compelled me to build.  It is available through links on Youtube, Thingiverse and Cults3D.  It is a well designed tank with a very nice build guide. You can see the build guide on Thingiverse if you wish.
The IS-1 took close to 300 hours to print and I ended up buying a second Ender 5 to speed up the process. They are great, economical printers that are reliable and print well.
I ended up using a custom sound board for the tank, designed by TheDIYGuy999 on Youtube. It is a sound/light/motion control board that was originally designed for trucks and cars, but he added some customization for tracked vehicles and tanks.  The board is based on the ESP32 and I really like how it controls my Tatra, but for my tanks, i think a TCB is the answer.  I am working on building Kim/HECLO 's TCB hat that goes on an Arduino Mega 2650 board and hope to put it in my IS-1 and the T-35a that I am printing now.

Here is my IS-1. Please let me know if you have any questions about it.
RETIRED!
Don't Want To
Don't Need To
Can't Make Me!!!

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: 3D printed 1/10 scale IS-1 Russian Tank
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 11:46:27 AM »
Hi JP, that is quite impressive and I was also very interested to hear about Lubos Hort and TheDIYGuy999, neither of who I had ever come across before. Both are doing some very interesting things, I see DIYGuy is working on suspension simulation. There was a tank project a few years back that promised to implement the same thing, if I recall it was in smaller scale tanks, and the demos were extremely impressive. I don't think they ever finished their project.

Anyway your tank looks great and I think the sound is good too. Keep us posted on your Heclo shield. 
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline JPS99

• View Profile
  • Beautiful Erie, PA
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 06:06:37 PM »
Thanks, LukeZ. I mentioned Lubos because he designs very nice, well thought out RC tanks to 3D print, and his were the only designs that I came across during my search of one to print. His IS-1 was a good tank to start with as he has a pretty good build guide for it.  I was thinking about building his T-34, but Dean's T-35A caught my eye and I went with it. There is no documentation for the build, but hopefully what I learned printing and assembling the  IS-1 will get me through it.

Cheers,
Joe/JPS99

RETIRED!
Don't Want To
Don't Need To
Can't Make Me!!!

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 05:29:24 AM »
I was very impressed with the work Mr Hort put into his design, you are right, he has a very detailed build guide, almost like a Tamiya manual!

For anyone else interested in his designs I found his webpage: Luboš Hort 3D Printed Models
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline JPS99

• View Profile
  • Beautiful Erie, PA
Re: Tanks by Lubos Hort
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 07:20:14 PM »
I see that Lubos has now finished his 1/10 scale King Tiger II tank and has the STL files available for purchase at the very reasonable price. He has also just released his 1/10 scale Panzer Kpfw.38, not to mention is IS-1 and T-34.

Lubos' kits are well designed and the build guides are nicely laid out for ease of assembly. Check out my IS-1 in the 'Show and Tell' section of the forum. I had a lot of fun printing and buillding it.

Lubos' offerings can be found here:  https://3dtisk-rc-modely.webnode.cz/en/

Lubos tanks.jpg
3D printed 1/10 scale IS-1 Russian Tank Lubos tanks.jpg
Views: 2053
RETIRED!
Don't Want To
Don't Need To
Can't Make Me!!!

Offline CodeWarrior

• View Profile
  • Detroit suburb, Michigan, USA
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 02:29:44 PM »
That is a very impressive IS-1!  The sound is great too and the video is very nicely made.
There are 10 kinds of people:  Those who understand binary and those who don't.