Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

1/35 first build guidance.
« on: May 13, 2020, 05:29:56 AM »
Hi all.

So... I'm new here. I have for many years had an unfinished full option Tamiya Sheridan on a shelf (the programming proved VERY difficult for some reason and it was shelved for a better day). And a Heng Long jagdpanther that is beside it.

What I'm keen on is the build. I have a 1/35 STRV 103C I want to RC and was thinking due to size the scout board would be best rather than the full TCB which I believe will be too big.

I was just wondering if anyone had already done similar 1/35 conversions with open panzer? 

And as a new I will have loads of questions, but will assist where I can. I am a mechanical designer by trade (automotive industry at the moment but my past includes handheld electronics, antennas etc). I'm not bad at soldering and make many of my own SMD PC s all hand soldered (including QFN packages). I'm a dab hand (since 1998) at 3D CAD including solid works, Catia, pro/E (Creo) and now at home fusion 360.

As I say. I will ask... But always try to help too.

Tschüss

(PS images Brit that's lived in central Germany for 7 years)

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: 1/35 first build guidance.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 06:31:32 AM »
Hi Tschüss, welcome to the forum. I'm sure your many skills will be useful for tinkering with tanks and I saw your other post about soldering SMD micro-SD card sockets, thanks.

As for the Scout, as you may know it is only a speed control (ESC) so by itself won't allow you to do much other than drive two motors, but for 1/35th scale there are much smaller ESCs that would be better choices.

I agree with you the TCB will no doubt be too large to fit into a 1/35 scale model. It might be just possible to fit one into a 1/24th scale model, such as the VsTank and FOV type models, if they are still sold.

Tamiya has a line of 1/35 RC tanks and you try to use those electronics, but I don't know if you can find them for sale separately, you may have to buy a whole kit and being Tamiya they are not cheap. There is also a company called 35rctank.com that sells RC conversion kits for various 1/35 scale models, possibly some of their electronics could be adapted. Finally Clark lists a TK30 board on their website for 1/35 scale models but I don't know if the board is for sale anywhere.

For such a small model I would probably just control it via RC directly without any fancy electronics which you probably don't need anyway. Just an RC receiver, speed controllers for the drive motors, and program the mixing in your transmitter.

NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 08:36:43 AM »
Hi Luke,

Thanks for that. I know your all 8nto the bigger stuff buts that's not to say I'm not planning a 1/16 along the way.

One reason I like the STRV 103C is that's its turret less so steering and drive is enough... But im toying with how to control and actuate the elevation (which the Swedish engineers managed through suspension manipulation).

I'm keen on making as much as possible (even if it's building boards).

Thanks for the welcome again.

Rich

(Tschüss in German is like "Ciao" Italian or "see ya" in English)  😄

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 09:39:18 AM »
(Tschüss in German is like "Ciao" Italian or "see ya" in English)  😄
Thanks for letting me know! I knew you went by Rich, should have guessed!
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

bomber-explosion