Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
SD socket hand solder?
« on: March 31, 2020, 04:44:05 PM »
Hi Luke,

I'm turning my attention to the sound card now, since I have my FatFingerTCB at OSH for prototype trial, and am wondering if it is possible for us fat fingered folks to solder the micro SD socket on the board by hand?  If not too easy, then is there an alternative?? 

Thanks,  Jerry

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: SD socket hand solder?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 05:07:23 PM »
It most likely is not possible, or anyway practical. The reason isn't because the pads are so small, it's because they are hidden underneath the socket where you can't really reach them. You will find the same issue with the amplifier IC.

The solution here as with the Scout is really to reflow the board.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 10:26:16 AM »
It can be done. I've done it several times... with sausage fingers.

Normal SD sockets are easy as the pins are (depending on the brand of the socket) at the rear and easily accessible.

Micro SD is where the pain starts. The pins are under some of the shielding/top cage of the sockets. Either a tiny point solder iron (I'm so very lucky to have a solder station which can accommodate tiny tips) and tweezers or reflow paste (leaded is best) and a hot air rework soldering station. Just avoid direct heat on the plastic parts.

Like I say... Its possible but buy spares and try to practice or stick with the full size SD socket that's easy.

Edit: another thought. If your dead set on micro SD, you could try conductive adhesive if your willing to spend on it. Sourcing a free sample could be simple as calling up a supplier and asking as well.

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 04:04:30 PM »
Thanks Rich,

I'd not heard of conductive adhesive.....sounds interesting....as long as its long lived? 

I finally found a socket that had pins accessible by a soldering iron....tiny indeed!! 

Now if Seed would finally get my first run PCB's to me....the Corona seems to have way laid them ;)  and OSH seems to have raised their prices by 1/3....sheese.

Jerry