Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
Problem with transmission engage/disengage.
« on: May 12, 2019, 03:07:20 AM »
Hi, I think I have a glitch, or something wrong configured either in the TCB, radio or so... But the thing is, sometimes the engage/disengage transmission seems to automatically engage. It happened to me many times, and in the video I did for testing the sounds can be seen too.

Second 38. As you can heard, even the engage transmission sound is automatically played, and the tank flies away for my horror.  I broke the rear mudguards of my king tiger many times just because of that  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Am I doing something wrong or do I have some kind of glitch?

EDIT: Another thing I just noticed. Then idling, transmision disengaged and shotting the cannon, the rear light shuts of for a fraction of second. Not sure if it is normal.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:43:45 AM by Rad_Schuhart »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Problem with transmission engage/disengage.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 02:17:26 PM »
Hi, I think I have a glitch, or something wrong configured either in the TCB, radio or so... But the thing is, sometimes the engage/disengage transmission seems to automatically engage. It happened to me many times, and in the video I did for testing the sounds can be seen too.
The transmission is always automatically engaged every time the engine is started. This is normal behavior. Most people want to start the engine and start driving, they don't want to trigger two separate function. So starting the engine engages the transmission too. Then, if you want, and have enough channels, you can disengage/engage it manually with a function.

In your case you are using a rather long startup sound, so the transmission isn't engaged for quite some time (whatever you have set as the Transmission Engage Delay on the Driving tab). So it may seem like it is happening randomly later, but in fact it is as designed.

Note that even if you manually disengage the transmission during the startup sequence, when the startup delay is complete it will still automatically engage.

EDIT: Another thing I just noticed. Then idling, transmision disengaged and shotting the cannon, the rear light shuts of for a fraction of second. Not sure if it is normal.
That is not normal. Does it happen every time or intermittently? You may want to try to replicate it under Snoop to see if any function is being accidentally triggered. Let me know what you find.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 03:50:58 PM »
Hi Luke, yes I have assigned a switch for toggling the transmision on and off. Please take a look at my video again, in the second 30 I disengage the transmision.

Then I start accelerating, and in the second 38, the transmision engages itself, automatically (you can heard the sound of it) and the tank flyes away. At second 42 I disengage the transmision again and works normally.

I really believe I am having a glitch or something. It might be my radio though, after so many mods maybe there is something loose, I dont know.

And regarding the rear light, well, I dont know what a Snoop is, but what I can tell you is it happens always. My Op config file is attached in the sound pack if it helps.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 04:09:47 PM »
What I see is that at second 6 you start the engine, and according to your OPZ file there is a 16 second transmission engage delay, meaning the transmission will automatically be engaged at around second 24 in the video. At exactly second 24 you appear to flip a switch which I'm assuming is the transmission switch, but then you hit the throttle and the tank takes off. Most likely you hit the switch just before the automatic engagement.

Of course I could be wrong but you will need to look at Snoop to be sure. The Snoop option is on the Firmware tab of OP Config, it allows you to connect to the TCB not in order to read and write settings, but in order to monitor what the tank is doing in real time, or anyway, what it thinks it's supposed to be doing. It is incredibly useful for debugging. It will give you a myriad of messages including when the transmission is engaged. It should help you narrow down exactly what is happening. If there is a bug I will fix it but I need to know exactly what the issue is first.

As for the brake light - I am guessing it is a bug having to do with track recoil. I will look into it.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 09:34:35 PM »
As for the brake light - I am guessing it is a bug having to do with track recoil. I will look into it.
There was indeed a bug related to track recoil. Adding a feature in one place often breaks code in another place. It wasn't something I had thought about until you mentioned it, but then I realized that track recoil was going to be interpreted as movement and if you have the brake light set to auto "On When Stopped" they would turn off on that movement. Which we don't want.

I've posted a firmware update that should fix the problem (v0.93.50 - TCB firmware only).
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 07:50:27 AM »
Great, we solved another bug :)

I will inspect the throttle/transmission problem tonight. I thing it might be related with the ESCs activation too. Once powered On they need to be full trottle back and forth, and then work normally. I will try several things, study it more in dept and then I will update the thread.

But if this is Ok, then I think the rest of the things in the board work fine.  :)

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 01:18:58 PM »
I will inspect the throttle/transmission problem tonight. I thing it might be related with the ESCs activation too. Once powered On they need to be full trottle back and forth, and then work normally.
Using ESCs that require that sort of arming routine is definitely not ideal, and I don't think I have ever encountered any like that designed for surface vehicles, only quads and occasionally some airplanes. Are those the Banggood ESCs? If so I will want to put a note about it in the Wiki, or remove them from the recommendation list altogether.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 01:45:16 PM »
I will inspect the throttle/transmission problem tonight. I thing it might be related with the ESCs activation too. Once powered On they need to be full trottle back and forth, and then work normally.
Using ESCs that require that sort of arming routine is definitely not ideal, and I don't think I have ever encountered any like that designed for surface vehicles, only quads and occasionally some airplanes. Are those the Banggood ESCs? If so I will want to put a note about it in the Wiki, or remove them from the recommendation list altogether.

I just triple checked everything. Nope, there is no need to arm the ESCs. Everything seems to be OK now.
I think the other day when I had the problem, I just was a bit saturated of switching the tank off, unpluging the SD card, modifiying the sounds, plugging it again, reseting the tank, flick one million of switches back and forth... So yep, everything seems ok. I tested just a little bit the small aliexpress ESCs, I used to use the tamiya DMD, but I sold it. It had no sense to keep it.

So yeah, It seems I only needed to sleep a bit.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 01:52:37 PM »
Good to know! I have definitely had the same experience myself...
Open Panzer FAQs