Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
Anomaly with HK 45A ESCs
« on: June 30, 2018, 02:58:34 AM »
Hi All,

I've run across something I can't explain, nor understand.  Here is the background:

I'm assembling a KV2 from bits I've purchased from multiple vendors.  I'm using the OP TCB, HK 45A ESCs, and Taigen gearboxes.  In assembling the components in the metal chassis from Taigen, I nestled the ESCs between the 4:1 gearboxes by servo taping them together on their bottoms, and soldering the outputs directly to the motors.  I then soldered the inputs together on a Dean's connector that connected to the switch in the normal fashion (left switch pole to black/negative, center pole to ESCs & TCB, and right pole to Battery).   It is quite a compact arrangement, and I thought it would be great having the ESC's and gearboxes so neatly arranged leaving the rest of the chassis available for the TCB, speaker, etc. 

So, the anomaly:

When I connected the battery up to the completed arrangement, the switch failed on overcurrent.  So I replaced the switch after checking for shorts, and boom, the next failed.  Suspecting an undersized switch, I installed one with more current capacity.  The solder joint on the switch positive melted off.....wtf??  I checked all wiring for shorts, nothing.  All wiring is sound.  So I re-soldered the positive lead, and tried again, and the wiring got VERY warm, ESC's LEDs did not turn on, so I disconnected quickly. 

Then I connected the battery directly to the ESC combination, and they both lit the LEDs, made the appropriate noises (they make a few tones upon energizing) and sat there waiting for instructions from the TCB.  So I connected the switch up again, and bingo, the problem resurfaced.   

So I connected in a series 10A fuse, and it will blow every time I try to use the switch.  I've checked continuity between all the connections, wiring, switch poles, etc. all not showing any shorts or anything.

I've either run across a resonance issue due to the bottoms being so close in proximity, or the charging current of the these ESC's is too great for the wiring to surmount due to voltage drop in the wiring and switch.  I have used these ESCs on two other installations with no problems, though they don't have the bottoms servo taped together. 

Anyone have any explanations on what I am experiencing??  I didn't think the ESCs should have a charging current of this magnitude.  I've connected them both up individually to the battery directly, no proplem, but individually with the switch...it will blow the 10A fuse every time.  Perhaps a bad batch of ESCs?? 

I'll continue to test, but right now I'm going back to purchasing Sabertooth products. 

Jerry

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Anomaly with HK 45A ESCs
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 05:03:02 AM »
I then soldered the inputs together on a Dean's connector that connected to the switch in the normal fashion (left switch pole to black/negative, center pole to ESCs & TCB, and right pole to Battery).

Can you draw a diagram of how you have the switch wired? This verbal description actually does not sound like the normal fashion, but perhaps I am not visualizing it correctly. Maybe take a picture of your arrangement.

If you are melting contacts then you are most likely experiencing a direct short somewhere. My best guess is that your ESCs are fine, but you have accidentally mis-wired your switch harness somehow.

Then I connected the battery directly to the ESC combination, and they both lit the LEDs, made the appropriate noises (they make a few tones upon energizing) and sat there waiting for instructions from the TCB.

It seems highly unlikely the charge current is the issue. If it were, when you connected the pair directly to the battery as described here, you would probably see/experience one heck of a spark when you plugged in the Dean's connector to the battery.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »
Luke,
You are spot on.  I got a fresh look the next AM after tearing it all apart in frustration and found the connector to both ESCs reversed.  Its all back together now and working.  This metal kv2 is a beast, and with all ball bearing gears and wheels has a bit of a problem turning, even worse than the panther. 
Thanks for the input.  Jerry

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 04:03:53 PM »
I'm glad that's all it was, and nothing got fried!

Out of curiosity I wonder if your Scout assembling experiments ever came to fruition? It would be interesting to see if the Scout is able to compensate for the turning issue using the special setting that it has. It works for me but to my knowledge no one else has tested it on a comparable model with similar issues.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 09:55:02 PM »
Yea, very lucky though I was careful with fusing things after the switch issue though those HL/Taigen switches are not too robust. 

I haven't screwed up my courage yet to heat up the boards.  I've tried a couple of old board pieces, but it takes a delicate touch to get the solder to melt and not overheat/discolor the board.  Since I now have a good test bed (KV1 metal ball bearing wheeled with 3:1 steel taigen boxes that will not turn even with the OP board set on 2) I may take you up on that.  I'll be away for a few days, so maybe a week or two from now I'll give the board assembly a try. 

Jerry

Offline tankme

• View Profile
  • Austin, TX
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 04:06:45 PM »
Jerry,

What kind of solder are you using?  The 60/40 (tin/lead) has a lower melting point than the 40/60 (tin/lead) solder.  I heard people say the 60/40 is much better when heat is a concern.