Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
12ring 360 kit need more leads.. Common ground?
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:48:59 AM »
I'm working on two RC tanks at the moment from Torro (a KV2 and a King Tiger) with the taigen recoil unit, IR receiver/sender and hid flash..

Now this 360 kit is included: https://www.torro-shop.de/navi.php?a=2108&lang=eng it has 12 rings.. But with the Openpanzer i have:

MG LED
- positive
- negative
IR transmit
- positive
- negative
IR Receiver
- positive
- signal
- negative
Barrel elevation
- positive
- negative
Recoil
- positive
- signal
- negative
Flash unit
- positive
- signal
- negative

This sums up to a grand total of 15 wires.. So, would it be possible to create a common ground lead between..?
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
Re: 12ring 360 kit need more leads.. Common ground?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 12:32:02 PM »
I believe the board has negative logic, so the common would be the positive potentials.  Take your ohm meter and check for a common bus between the positive pins.  Most of the lights use a common positive, and a few on the other side of the board.
FWIW the taigen IR 360 ring has 14 wires, which is what I have used, it gives a few spares for future upgrades.
Jerry

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 02:31:27 PM »
Sorry for the slow response. Jerry is right, but specifically, you can combine the following:

MG LED (and the other LEDs along the top edge of the board including AUX, L1, L2, and BRK) share a common +5v signal (listed as POS on the underside of the TCB board). These can be combined with +5v on the IR Receiver, +5v on the HIT LED, and +5v on the high intensity FLASH. Additionally if you are using a servo recoil you can also combine these with the + of the servo connector (middle pin of the three pin servo plug).

There are a few grounds that can be connected but not many since as Jerry says most of the switching is done on the negative side. But you can combine the IR Receiver negative (not the HIT LED negative) and the high intensity FLASH negative together. And if you are using a servo for recoil you can tie the servo negative to these as well.

Additionally if you are using the mechanical recoil/airsoft output you can combine its positive with the positive of the IR LED. This level is equal to battery voltage, not 5 volts, so only those two can be combined, but don't mix them with the positive 5 volts listed above.

The barrel elevation motor outputs can't be mixed with anything.

Anyway that should get you down to 12, but Jerry's point is worth remembering that the IR version of the slip-ring gives you a few extra wires.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the wire gauge on these slip-rings is extremely small, meaning it can't carry much current. This probably won't matter for lights and such but I could see it maybe being an issue with mechanical recoil/airsoft units since the motors in these are pretty much under-powered to begin with.

Additionally, any glitching can also cause problems with mechanical recoil/airsoft units because it can interfere with the brief signal these devices send back to the board to let it know the action has completed. Slip-rings by their nature can easily cause such glitches, so if your mechanical recoil doesn't work try by-passing the slip ring and see if that is the problem.

NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 04:27:27 PM »
Thanks, i did not know the TCB is switching on negative side.. So its common positive  :o

But about the taigen IR 360 slip-ring.. I have the TG360-12 which was sold as the IR version.. It has 12 cables??

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 04:39:24 PM »
The Taigen documentation is confusing for sure. There are apparently actually 4 different slip-ring kits, and the one with the most wires is TAG120628, which has IR and turret MG. They have another one for IR without MG which is probably what you have.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 04:54:15 PM »
Wait a minute, so taigen sells the one WITHOUT turret MG for the Kingtiger (that is what i'm working on) so the King Tiger with IR does not have a turret MG? I guess the IR transmitter is in its place?
That would mean i do not need the two cables for the MG.. And the number of cables drops to 13.. Hmm.. that sounds good..

Thanks guys! And talking about King Tigers, in two weeks i'm visiting Militracks. It seems the Saumur King Tiger is going to be there. So i can see one of the last running King's live!