Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline osika

• View Profile
RC on off switch
« on: October 07, 2020, 04:39:29 PM »
Looking to use a rc switch RC (Remote Controlled AUX on/Off Electronic Switch Relay for Car Truck Boat LED Light Drone (8A)
I think maybe two ways to control this..but the IO output is best? What would it be set to in functions/triggers?
Going to use it to turn power on/off to the heating element which I boosted voltage a bit to. Using Smoker
switch for fan only.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FLVGTXQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: RC on off switch
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 05:01:55 PM »
The RC switch takes an RC signal so it would have to be plugged into one of the RC outputs, which would be mapped to a channel on your transmitter and set to type "analog" in OP Config, even though you will obviously actually use a switch on your transmitter.

That is one option, but depending on your setup you might not have a lot (or any) RC outputs free. The easier way is just to get a relay module that can be controlled directly from the General Purpose I/O ports. There are several mentioned on the wiki page.

Note there are built-in options for controlling the smoker fan and heating element separately already. If you choose to go that route, the fan is driven from Aux output (but it only delivers 5 volts) and the heating element is driven from the smoker output (at full battery voltage, as usual). You can control the level of the element and the fan separately with options in OP Config on the Motors tab.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline osika

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »
Hi Luke,

If I set Input out put A to "external"

External Output A-toggle
Trigger to switch 2
Pos. 1

Would that work to trigger the on/off function on this device (RC Remote Controlled AUX on/Off Electronic Switch Relay)
plugged into GP I/O-A pins?

Sorry for the confusion still trying to get all of this down..

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 05:43:17 AM »
No, that will not work. The device you are looking at only accepts RC signals for input. RC signals are 20Hz PWM pulses from 1-2mS. The device you are looking at converts an RC signal into a simple on/off.

The General Purpose I/O ports can not output an RC signal, so your device will not recognize it. However, the General Purpose I/O ports can turn on and off. And that is all you want.

The General Purpose I/O ports however are not strong enough to power a heater or fan. That is why you still need to use a relay. See the link I provided above.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline osika

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 07:56:47 AM »
Thanks Luke :)