Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: "Manual" transmission possibilty
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »
Hi Rad, you're the first person on earth I've found who prefers Rar to zip, but then again I don't know many people on earth out of the total. I've allowed Rar attachments to the forum so you can go ahead and try to post it.

For those who would like to read more about Rad's radio programming adventures please see his thread on OpenRCForums: Realistic driving in land vehicles

At some point you'll have to try to get a video of the model in action, if you think it would illustrate the functionality. What do you think of it?
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 05:07:48 AM »
Lol, back in the day, when I was a teenager and the dinosaurs ruled the earth... Nah, not that much, but something like 15 years ago or so I used winzip all day long... But it has been a long time since their software changed and now I just dont like it anymore. I preffer to use the primitive looking but light and fast winrar. Lol, I just remembered this meme:

Heading back to the gears, I just attached the file to the forum. For making the things easy, I did it for the stock Tamiya Electronics, which are so basic that you can use this setup for a lot of RC systems. You can use it as a base for your open panzer radio config, of course.

I have set this file this way: Left stick drives, right stick throttle, THR Machine gun, TRN Maingun, the 3 position ID switch selects the gear, one push button at the back triggers one speed up, and another selects one speed down. If you have no push buttons you can change them to wathever you want in the L.Switches area.

Regarding the video, yes, thats the idea, but so far I have two problems, I still have a lot of snow out there, and second, due to I have to trigger a lot of things, now is impossible to film and to drive at the same time, so I need some help from my wife, so thats not easy neither, lol.

But yeah, it is my plans.
Gears.rar
(0.63 kB ~ Downloads: 367)

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 07:36:48 AM »
Ok, I did two small videos, but this is one of those things that are cristal clear when you do it, and not so when you see it.

Im using a Tamiya King tiger in very early stages of painting (note the mufflers are still masked, lol)
From second 0 to 22, thats the maximum speed on first speed-
From second 31 to 39 thats the maximum speed on second speed
From 46 to the end, thats the maximum speed, but I messed the config a bit here. It means the tank can go a bit faster than that, which is way faster than the maximum scale speed.

In the second video... Just driving around. Not a lot to say but thanks to my wife for filming, and to my daughter for making her sounds, lol.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 04:33:57 PM »
Good show Rad, and I enjoyed your daughter's sound effects. I also nominate you for the best jacket award! :)

I think the video does show the shifting at work and it seems to operate as you would expect. Like you say, one would really need to get behind the sticks for the full experience. What are your impressions when driving, does the shifting add the realism you had hoped?
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 08:05:54 AM »
Hi. Lol, this jacket has lived so many stories... I bought it about 17 years ago. When I saw it I spent almost all that I had on it... It was an instant love! I liked it a lot because it looked like the Terminator and Mad Max´s jackets. I felt like the big bad boy at school too, lol. I think I wear it about 8 months a year, and you dont believe how many stories we have lived together... I used to wear it in winter under my uniform when I was a paratrooper in the spanish legion, so go and figure! It has such a good quality leather that still looks like new, and is one of the few things that my sons are going to inherit, lol.

About my impressions driving the tank, well, I still have to adjust it a bit more, and to try it in another tank and with other electronics... It was also the first time I take the king tiger outside home and then the first time I drive it over grass, so it behaved very differently than driving at home specially when turning, I guess those big and wide tracks had a lot of grip, and turning at maximum speed was not very easy, or at least very different than stock, but I think it turns now as it should, so no more tank drifting.

I must say I like the new way of driving a lot. I feel it more realistic, less toylike and more like the real thing. I also feel it like having a total speed control. When in first speed you have all the stick (instead of half as stock) for selecting the exact speed you want, so I can really crawl like a crippled turtle if I want to. And of course no more jack rabitting at IR battles. So the tank now drives as it was expected, like a big heavy beast.

If I get bored of it is as easy as selecting another radio model with the stock programming and done. So I think is a win-win situation :)

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »
I also feel it like having a total speed control. When in first speed you have all the stick (instead of half as stock) for selecting the exact speed you want, so I can really crawl like a crippled turtle if I want to.

This sounds like a very attractive benefit to me, I have always wanted very smooth control at extremely slow speeds. I used things like accel/decel constraints as workarounds but your gear system would give you even finer control by effectively increasing the resolution of your throttle input several hundred percent.

I hope some other people will find all this work you've done useful. In my experience many people read and utilize the information on these forums that never post, so even if we don't hear from them I suspect others have taken an interest in your experiments and are following along.

I will still consider integrating this functionality into the TCB firmware someday as I have the time, but I am entering a phase of life where development time is limited.

PS: Your jacket definitely doesn't look 17 years old! Here in America we'd have to say congratulations to someone if they could still fit into the same clothes 17 years later...
Open Panzer FAQs