Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline FuzzyJack

• View Profile
  • Nottingham - UK
QtAssistant/Help Files
« on: January 04, 2024, 02:42:40 AM »
Following previous conversations about the OP Config tool, I have been having a nosey at the Qt Assistant issue and why the help files no longer work.

Turns out the use of QtAssistant is more intended to be used on machine that has Qt installed specifically but you can (and as Luke has) bundle the Assistant application as part of the build.   There is also a QtHelpFile API in the Qt suite now that can be used to display the content of helpfiles within any type of window you like but will take a look at that later.

Poking the current deployed version of OPConfig on my machine I have tried to launch the qch collection file using the Assistant.exe included in the build and get a library error initially (see attached files) but that is because I ran the assistant from within the assistant folder.  The library file it moans about is in the main directory and if you run the assistant from there it works although the actual display then has no content.

The actual application uses assistant\assistant to call the tool anyway so that's probably correct, why the qch file appears to be empty is different.

I get the same if I use the actual QtAssistant on my Qt install to point at the deployed qch file as well so not sure why the qch file would be empty or perhaps it is just because I haven't specified a page in the call but on a newly generated qch I don't need to so that's strange.

If I generate a new qch file in the source I get output but most of the links in the TOC don't actually work and try to open an "untitled".   Turns out in the qhp file each of the sections is referenced using .\ in the file location which appears not to be working.   removing the .\ renders the section links operable again.

e.g.
<section title="Program Layout" ref="./formlayout.html"></section>   -- doesn't work
<section title="USB Drivers" ref="drivers.html"></section>                -- works

I'm also getting some interesting output in some of the help files where certain graphics or links are used (DodgyGraphics.png).

The HTML file itself displays fine so it looks like rendering of the h4 heading type in the css is a bit broken.  Somef  othe spacing is as as well on other pages and the fonts appear to be a but up and down.

The h4 entry is meant to be non-repeating but it appears to be ignoring it:

h4
{
   margin: 0px;
   padding: 0px;
   border: 0px;
   margin-top: 20px;
   margin-bottom: 10px;
   font-size: 18px;
}
h4.entry
{
   padding-left: 15;
    background: url('images/h4_icon.png');
    background-repeat: no-repeat;

}

These all look very much like issues that probably were absolutely fine on older versions of the application 8 years ago but Windows and/or Qt have moved on and things have gone a bit squiffy.

Fun fun fun :-)
DeployedAssistantFailure.PNG
QtAssistant/Help Files DeployedAssistantFailure.PNG
Views: 244
EmptyQch.PNG
QtAssistant/Help Files EmptyQch.PNG
Views: 163
UntitledPage.PNG
QtAssistant/Help Files UntitledPage.PNG
Views: 145
DodgyGraphics.PNG
QtAssistant/Help Files DodgyGraphics.PNG
Views: 138
HTMLView.PNG
QtAssistant/Help Files HTMLView.PNG
Views: 137

Offline FuzzyJack

• View Profile
  • Nottingham - UK
Re: QtAssistant/Help Files
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 02:45:54 AM »
I haven't gotten to actually look at how the application is being built yet to include the assistant and the help_files and plugins and things.   

It doesn't included them by default in the debug build for the application so I assume this is done as part of the actual build process of the installer/exe program iself.

I haven't found any notes yet on how Luke did this other than he didn't use the Qt build tool itself.

If you see this and have any pointers Luke that would be appreciated.  I can work around it by just copying the right files/folders into the debug folder for now anyway to poke things :-)

bomber-explosion