Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
Gear change effect
« on: February 22, 2017, 11:03:52 AM »
This was posted about some of the features that Elmod has..I have read though the wiki and curious if this type of effect of gear change effect also possible? (Unless I missed it and it is incorporated in the momentum/nudge effect or adjustments)

"You don't push the stick forward and the tank takes off, you push the stick forward and the driver blips the throttle, puts it into gear, and then its slowly starts moving, and without the user doing anything it changes gear, jolts, and carries on accelerating."

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Gear change effect
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 12:21:46 PM »
It is certainly possible to program such a thing if someone wants to develop that, but a gear change effect is not presently implemented on the TCB.

I have not tried the Elmod but in my own experimentation the effect usually came off as gimicky if not annoying in the sense that it robs control from the user. I did not want to implement something unless I could do it well. Gear changes in forward movement would seem to look best only if the user accelerates slowly and continuously from stopped to full speed in a straight line but when you are driving around randomly that is never actually the case, the speed is constantly changing especially in turns, and having the model jerk around for no reason gets to be old. 

But as I say the project is open to anyone to add these sorts of features if they like. It's not a bad idea, it just needs to be done well and that is not simple.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:30:16 PM »
Great points! Thank you :)

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 07:07:55 PM »

If it is useful... a few of us are curious about the Elmod gear shift. It looks to be fully adjustable including shift points for each gear and
I think able to be turned off. It also won't engage at slower speeds during for instance.. a spin turn. The squeek effect seems to be much better than
what people have been experiencing with their IBU's too. Will drop in a video of it all in action for you to see..which will include gear shifts
and squeeks in motion. The one major downside of the Elmod is the absence of the TBS..which is not only sound programmable but top in sound transitions. My view is if that isn't smooth or perfect then the motion becomes irrelevant. And of all the various features I think gear shift may be lower than anything else for me and especially if not as you said, not done well.

Note from Elmod owner regarding gear shift:
"I will have to get back to you on that. What I have noticed is as you shift forward it's not immediate throttle. Similar to you releasing the clutch in your car or truck. A bit delayed unlike a stock Heng Long that immediately goes forward or reverse.The longer I hold it at part throttle the slower it is to "catch the gear" and lurch forward."

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 09:45:39 PM »
There are quite a few youtube video showing both squeak and shift effects for the Fusion. So no idea if this helped just
getting feedback on what is out there that is working well and some things that are not.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 07:50:55 AM »
This could be a fun and simple shift into gear effect. Just assign this sound to a trigger switch then when idling you can play it before
you decide to acel the tank.
Shift sound.wav.zip
(25.11 kB ~ Downloads: 396)

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 08:02:55 AM »
Or even more simple maybe is to just add this on the start of the acel clip on TBS. So ( idle) (Idle + gearshift + acel) (move) (decel) So upon
normal movement the shift sound would auto proceed movement. Then no extra sound slot used.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 08:22:16 AM »
Didn't think that though properly. If in the engine files then revving before transmission wouldn't sound right. So that sound (or something like it)
triggered with transmission engagement might be really cool. Then you would hear the transmission clunk into gear.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »
Or you could assign it to the trigger Vehicle Speed Increases Above 0%.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 11:34:42 AM »
Good idea :)  Though there would be a nice feeling to flip a toggle for engage transmission and hear it clunk into gear too! Though not
sure if that would be difficult to program.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »
Though there would be a nice feeling to flip a toggle for engage transmission and hear it clunk into gear too! Though not sure if that would be difficult to program.
You can do that already, just assign the sound to the same switch that you assign the transmission engage to. You can assign more than one function to a single trigger.

The only issue here is that, as a convenience to the user, the transmission automatically engages when you start the engine, and so that on that occasion the sound wouldn't be triggered because the effect is automatic, not user-controlled. Once the engine is running then yes you can manually engage/disengage the transmission with a switch and like I say, you could assign a sound to the same switch that you use to engage. But for that first time when the engine starts, it wouldn't happen.

The solution would be to create another ad-hoc trigger for transmission engage and use that to trigger the sound, then it would occur whether the system engaged the transmission automatically or whether you did it manually. That is not hard to do. But at the same time I think it will be good for people to use this for a while, test things out, experiment, and then see truly what features will be useful and needed, and which won't.

Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 01:08:11 PM »
Great options I also like the clunk at 0% then maybe squeaks 10-20% I think that would make a great effect
or as you said assign to the trigger toggle as well then it would also clunk later when engaged disengaged.
Also the more I look at all of these systems the more I see what a good choice the TBS is for sound. It has
already been developed to create amazing sounds and super smooth engine transitions. Even on the Elmod
the engine transitions are not nearly as smooth..so this to me is the best of both worlds.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
  • USA
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 02:03:21 PM »
Made another sound with a bit more to it so it will be heard over the idle maybe better. Just another option if needed
as you guys test :)
Transmission engage.wav.zip
(39.67 kB ~ Downloads: 402)