Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline JPS99

• View Profile
  • Beautiful Erie, PA
T35 Secondary and Tertiary Turrets controlled by Maestro!
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2021, 03:00:17 PM »
Since my 3D printed T35 Russian Heavy tank has 5 turrets I need some way of controlling the two Secondary Cannon turrets and the 2 Machine Gun turrets.  The main cannon and Turret I will control directly from my Taranis QX7 radio, but for the others I will control them using a 6 channel Polulu Maestro controller.
Thanks to Dean Rauch for the awesomely detailed T35 STL files available on Thingiverse!

Check out the Maestro controllers at Pololu  https://www.pololu.com/category/102/maestro-usb-servo-controllers

Check out my video of turret control on Youtube
RETIRED!
Don't Want To
Don't Need To
Can't Make Me!!!

Offline CodeWarrior

• View Profile
  • Detroit suburb, Michigan, USA
Re: Started my T-35 Tank (Thanks to Dean Rauch)
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2021, 07:47:47 AM »
Nice job Joe, thanks for posting.  It's good to see that the work continues on the T35.  It will look amazing on the battlefield.  Nice find on the Maestro controller too.
There are 10 kinds of people:  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline JPS99

• View Profile
  • Beautiful Erie, PA
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 06:33:05 PM »
Nice job Joe, thanks for posting.  It's good to see that the work continues on the T35.  It will look amazing on the battlefield.  Nice find on the Maestro controller too.
Thanks, the T35 is pretty much finished except for finalizing the electronics.  I've been slowly working on Kim's HECLO TCB hat, but have found a troublesome adversary in the VHN5050A motor driver chips he uses on the board.  I've managed to ruin a bunch of them so far without success, although I just soldered up two more boards that look promising.... the continuity tests will determine the outcome.   Worse comes to worst I will build the boards without the drivers and use the Quicrun 1060 escs I have installed already for testing and use the board for the other functions it offers.

The weather has been crappy so I haven't had the opportunity to get some video of the T35 running outside all assembled and with the guns travelling thanks to the Maestro board.  It really is a wizard bit of tech and reasonably priced!  Because the tracks are so grippy I don't dare run it on carpet inside as the tracks grab and tear apart if I attempt any kind of a turn. The fine 1mm wires joining the segments snag the carpet with gusto.

The weather is improving, so I'm hoping to add to 'show and tell' soon.

Regards,
Joe
RETIRED!
Don't Want To
Don't Need To
Can't Make Me!!!

Offline JPS99

• View Profile
  • Beautiful Erie, PA
T35 Outdoors testing
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2021, 07:12:01 PM »
The weather has improved here in Erie, PA and the snow has cleared from the driveway and walkways so it is time to do some outside testing on my T35.
It is running pretty well although I did have a track displace on the drive gear on the right side. I think it happened while I was driving over the snow at the start of the video. It appears the T35 is fussy about the road surface... much like the real one!

Anyway, please enjoy the video!
RETIRED!
Don't Want To
Don't Need To
Can't Make Me!!!

Offline JPS99

• View Profile
  • Beautiful Erie, PA
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2021, 11:30:44 AM »
Well, the T35 is now complete.  I am currently printing a 1/10 scale King Tiger tank which I will probably start assembling in the fall, as I've returned to an old love of mine, RC aircraft flying.  After being cooped up in the workshop all winter/spring I'm ready for some fresh air and sunshine!

Anyway, here's the latest on the T35

RETIRED!
Don't Want To
Don't Need To
Can't Make Me!!!

Offline CodeWarrior

• View Profile
  • Detroit suburb, Michigan, USA
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2021, 03:01:32 AM »
Well done Joe.  Thanks for posting the update on this huge project.  I honestly thought that you may have run into one problem or another which had caused you to stop work on it.  I'm glad to see it complete and running so well!
There are 10 kinds of people:  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

bomber-explosion