Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
It's all over?
« on: May 27, 2020, 08:38:29 AM »
Nothing has been written here for 7 days ...
Is there no longer a TCB user?

Offline rockchuck

• View Profile
  • australia
Re: It's all over?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:27:52 PM »
Hi -- I check in on this page a couple times a week-- not have anything to post just at the moment but maybe later as I,m in the process of making the sound cards. I'm looking into making a reflow oven at the moment. I don't think the Open Panzer is dead-- a lot of people use this site for the tech tips etc and the wiki. The TCB is still the best board out there for tank control.
happy tanking

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 06:22:02 AM »
There are several people tinkering with DIY-versions of the TCB but you're right posting activity has declined. However web stats still show healthy traffic to the site, I think a lot of people find the information they need without having to post anything.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline JPS99

• View Profile
  • Beautiful Erie, PA
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 07:04:56 PM »
Nothing has been written here for 7 days ...
Is there no longer a TCB user?
I'm new to Open Panzer and am trying to get up to speed on the TCB and some of the new offshoots that are recently available here in the developer forum. I've only recently gotten involved with Tanks, having 3D printed a 1/10th scale Russian IS-1. I am currently working on a 1/16th scale T-35a and will need a TCB to control all the turrets it sports. Trying to learn what will work best.
Cheers,
Joe in Pennsylvania.
RETIRED!
Don't Want To
Don't Need To
Can't Make Me!!!

Offline CodeWarrior

• View Profile
  • Detroit suburb, Michigan, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 10:47:46 AM »
I have recently restarted my efforts to build a small battlefield accessory that would present a challenge for the solo RC tanker.  I've known about the excellent work that the OPEN PANZER team has been doing but didn't realize that the TankIR project existed until recently.  I happened to have stumbled onto the RCTankWarfare forum where LukeZ mentioned the link to the TankIR code.  Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am very thankful for all of the hard work the OP team has done, and even more so because of their incredible generosity in making it available to us all.  I'm very glad that the OP website exists and hope it remains that way for a long time to come.
There are 10 kinds of people:  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 05:01:01 AM »
Hi,

Like many others I'm in the process of making 3 more control boards, Scout and 3 sound cards. I use the forum for reference as theres loads of helpful stuff. But don't post that often. I think alot of people do the same.
Thanks
Steve

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 09:05:41 AM »
Thanks guys for the kind comments, I'm glad there are people still finding the site useful. I hope someday the board will become available again, but things move very slowly, and the global situation has not helped, so I have nothing to announce for the moment. But do not worry, the site is not going anywhere!
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Brian Tulk

• View Profile
  • south australia
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 04:17:00 AM »
hello, Luke, Brian from south aus here ,i too keep an eye on the op website but dont post, i have one of the last ones from hk in aus, iwill be fitting it to my crusader iam scratch building and will post when i am further along, slow going.Thank you for all your help when i was setting up my chally2, its still going great and is run at least 3 times a week,very reliable love it, cheers to all regards Brian

Offline JPS99

• View Profile
  • Beautiful Erie, PA
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 09:32:06 AM »
Hi -- I check in on this page a couple times a week-- not have anything to post just at the moment but maybe later as I,m in the process of making the sound cards. I'm looking into making a reflow oven at the moment. I don't think the Open Panzer is dead-- a lot of people use this site for the tech tips etc and the wiki. The TCB is still the best board out there for tank control.
happy tanking
Hi rockchuck, I recently made a reflow oven from an old toaster oven. All I did was drill a hole through the back of the oven and insert a cheap thermocouple probe that I bought on Amazon for about $20. I set one of the oven trays (it might have been the crump tray) on top of the metal probe for good readings.
 In my testing, I just set the oven on high and monitor the temperature rise.  It is pretty close to the nominal reflow curve I found. I just turn the temperature down once I reach the 'soak' temp, wait 2 minutes or so, then crank it back up until i reach peak.  so far it has worked out great. I plan to use it on Kim Olsen's Heclo TCB Shield for Mega2560 Boards.

I've been pushing off that project as I am just getting up to speed on SMD soldering.  Apparently the motor drivers on Kim's board are pretty fussy.  I will soon have to take the plunge and build one as I'm running out of excuses... I have the PCBs and all the parts, I now have a hot air soldering station and my reflow oven.  Just need the courage to start placing components!
My T-35 project is going to force me to build one as there are too many turrets and guns to handle without it!
Cheers,
Joe

RETIRED!
Don't Want To
Don't Need To
Can't Make Me!!!

Offline Chi-el

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 03:23:46 PM »
Hi All,

I'm completely new to tanking and the OP TCB, but as this seems the perfect board for the plans I have in mind for the build of a tracked vehicle, I'm currently looking to get one fabricated.

Just out of curiosity, given the current extreme scarcity, what would be an acceptable price level to buy a TCB? What would be the cost of just the components alone? Asking this since everybody's wallet has a different size and in case I do come across a willing manufacturer the price obviously goes down if larger volumes are ordered.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated once I get some quotes in.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 04:03:55 PM »
It's been a while since I've obtained quotes but they were usually in the range of $50-$75 USD per board for order quantities starting at 250 units. That is a very reasonable per-unit price, but of course most people don't need 250 units and when you multiply it out that is a lot of money to put down...
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Chi-el

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 03:19:25 PM »
Hi Luke,

Would it be an idea to set up a centralized group purchase, finding buyers for 250 pieces sounds feasible? Alternatively, perhaps organizing a crowd funding set up or so? Collecting $15.000 amongst buyers and donations feels possible?

Perhaps this has all been tried in the past, but maybe an interest poll on a few forums might give a better feeling on this.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 08:07:22 PM »
Crowdfunding has not been tried but I did consider it at one point. There are a few issues in addition to finding the 250 people. One is that someone needs to package and then make 250 trips to the post office to ship all the boards, which is something I didn't want to do. Your other suggestion of having people donate a small amount is something I considered as well, but what would those people get for their $15? Nothing, so really the minimum "donation" would need to be whatever the price of the final board would be.

However if someone wants to take this on themselves I do not mind!
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline tankme

• View Profile
  • Austin, TX
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »
It's a tough sell right now to find 250 dedicated orders.  Unless you get money up front you are taking on a big financial responsibility because people will ultimately back out at the last minute when it comes time to pay for their TCBs.  Personally I would buy more than one if they came available again.  I have three currently.  Dealing with electronics is tricky also since you may have to account for a few bad boards unless the manufacturer will warrantee them.  I doubt Hobby King had such an agreement since it seems they didn't make any money on selling these or didn't make enough to make it worth their time.  I know there are lots of folks that would love to get ahold of TCBs once again, but even 250 boards might be a tall order.

Offline NS-21

• dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 03:47:45 PM »
There are several people tinkering with DIY-versions of the TCB but you're right posting activity has declined. However web stats still show healthy traffic to the site, I think a lot of people find the information they need without having to post anything.

Panic aside!

I am always here and I work!

bomber-explosion