Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
Barrel and turret stabilizer
« on: March 10, 2020, 05:24:26 AM »
Hi Luke, I don't know if it has already been discussed here in the forum or in the wiki, but I am currently replacing the stock elevation and recoil with servos in my Tamiya tanks.

The other day I had the idea of fitting a gyro as barrel stabilizer. So far I have zero experience with gyros but I think Ill be able to do it. The question is, will it be compatible with the TCB? do I have to take care of something?

After creating the magic smoke with the soundcard and that external amp, I am more cautious than ever.

Thanks!

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Barrel and turret stabilizer
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 06:57:48 AM »
If you are using servo outputs on the TCB and your gyro takes servo inputs, then no you won't have any problems with releasing magic smoke.

Various people have tried gyro stabilization using different methods, no one yet to my knowledge has found a simple and straightforward method that works, though I have seen some very complicated methods that work. If you have success be sure to let the forum know, it would be useful for any tank that uses servo elevation, not just those running the TCB.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 08:54:42 AM »
Ok, I will try this new project then :)

I am curious if when the gyro moves the barrel, the TCB will play the barrel elevation sound too.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 08:59:22 AM »
I am curious if when the gyro moves the barrel, the TCB will play the barrel elevation sound too.
In this case I think not, the gyro would be controlling the barrel and the TCB would have no idea what it is doing.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 01:55:58 PM »
Hi,
the only way to have the barrel sound with the gyro is a solution looped into the SBUS between the receiver and the TCB.
There is the S6R and S8R from FrSky - receiver with built in 3-axis stabilization.
But this reciever cost arround 40,- or 50,-€ and you cannot set anything...
The StabiWII cost half of them and have a lot more features and is better to configure/parameterize.

bomber-explosion