Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Costique

• View Profile
  • Gothenburg, Sweden
Re: Trouble some TCB
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 02:49:54 PM »
Hi LukeZ,

I did it, the results are:
1. with baud rate to 9600 the left motor is working with strange behavior, is working even the transmission is not engaged. After one command of transmission engage-disengage, come to normal. At 19200 and 38400 is not working at all.
2. RC outputs are working but the same behavior, the motors are under power even the transmission is not engaged. After a transmission cycle, the power is coming just with the transmission engaged. It seems a little difference between the motors speed, how we assure the straight-line drive?

I did not like this too much as 2 RC outputs are gone but for the moment seems the best arrangement to continue the works on it.
Is it possible a problem with the firmware in Sabretooth, not to recognize-reset the superior baud and to decode wrong the serial pack?
Thanks a lot for your support, I had results, finally.
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning"- W. Churchill

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 05:00:50 AM »
1. with baud rate to 9600 the left motor is working with strange behavior, is working even the transmission is not engaged. After one command of transmission engage-disengage, come to normal. At 19200 and 38400 is not working at all.
2. RC outputs are working but the same behavior, the motors are under power even the transmission is not engaged. After a transmission cycle, the power is coming just with the transmission engaged.
Probably what you describe with the transmission is normal. The transmission will always be engaged automatically when you turn the engine on, it doesn't matter what your transmission switch position is in. After the engine is started, now you can disengage the transmission.

For this reason you might prefer to use the "Transmission - Toggle On/Off" function instead of the individual on and off functions you are using now. Assign the "Transmission - Toggle On/Off" function to Position 1 of your Aux Channel 7, and assign nothing to Position 2. Every time you move the switch to position 1 the transmission status will be toggled.

If you have a 3-position switch on your transmitter what I like to do is put "Engine - Toggle On/Off" in Position 1, "Transmission - Toggle On/Off" in Position 3, and nothing in Position 2 (the middle position). But everybody has their own preference!

It seems a little difference between the motors speed, how we assure the straight-line drive?
Presently the TCB does not offer any special steering adjustments, but you can use the steering trim on your transmitter (but make sure when you do Radio Setup the trim are centered first, and only adjust them later. You have already done radio setup so you're fine). However using steering trim can only work a little bit, if you adjust it too much the tank will start to "neutral turn" when you are stopped. If the tank is really turning a lot while you are trying to go straight it is worthwhile looking at mechanical issues, and possibly you might want to adjust the track tension on one side.

I did not like this too much as 2 RC outputs are gone but for the moment seems the best arrangement to continue the works on it.
Is it possible a problem with the firmware in Sabretooth, not to recognize-reset the superior baud and to decode wrong the serial pack?
There is nothing wrong with using 9600 Baud if the Sabertooth responds to it, I don't think you will notice any difference compared to 38400. So if that works you can do that and leave those 2 RC outputs free.

I don't know why your Sabertooth is not responding to the other baud rates, many people are using the Sabertooth with the TCB without problem. One other thing you could try is to connect to your Sabertooth using Dimension Engineering DESscribe software (download here, manual here). However it requires you to buy a USB-TTL converter before you can make the connection. The DEScribe software will let you change the baud rate and maybe for some reason it will work better than the OP Config tool.

But if it is working at 9600 baud I think the easiest thing is just to leave it there and enjoy!
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Costique

• View Profile
  • Gothenburg, Sweden
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 11:17:20 AM »
Hi LukeZ,
Thanks again for your sustained effort supporting me.
I am done with the Sabertooth controller, I just think that the RC variant is cheaper. My intention was to have the machinegun controlled with 2 servos on RC outputs and some ideas about some other stuff but for the moment I am OK and I will control the rest of them directly from the radio as servos. It is a long way until there, I work intermittently on the tank when time and my personal mood permit (I need to be in the right spirit to make it).
My plans include an electromagnetic gun (natural recoil) shooting plastic balls with flash and smoke, a working machinegun shooting 1mm diameter metal balls (airsoft) and a moving and a gesticulating commander. I will be very happy to succeed but this will take time ...
I will modify the functions as you suggest, I like it much more than the actual setup.
The 9600 is not working, I have just one motor moving, not both of them. I understand that the signal for both is mixed in the package but somehow the second motor is getting no commands, as at the 9600 bauds just one motor commands are read in Sabertooth. And the automatic update of the signal speed is not recognized. Maybe I will try the DE software with serial adapter, just to see if work.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 10:00:54 AM »
The 9600 is not working, I have just one motor moving, not both of them. I understand that the signal for both is mixed in the package but somehow the second motor is getting no commands, as at the 9600 bauds just one motor commands are read in Sabertooth. And the automatic update of the signal speed is not recognized. Maybe I will try the DE software with serial adapter, just to see if work.
It is very uncommon but I wonder if you might have a defective Sabertooth. Perhaps you will have success with the DE software. The Sabertooths are very good controllers and no one has yet reported a case where they didn't work, until you, but I suppose there is always a first time for everything.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Costique

• View Profile
  • Gothenburg, Sweden
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 03:55:02 AM »
Yes, I read some reviews before to go with Sabertooth and  I still cannot exclude that the wrong signal sent with improper functions arrangement (not wrong wiring) which could damage the firmware. Once I had those red+S2 LED lightening and I cannot explain why and what error reported. I bought a USB-TTL serial, tomorrow I planned to check with DEScribe (I think this serial shall be useful in the future as my dreams about the commander gestures can be done under an Arduino board command. I have to move my living place and a lot of others things in line to be done but I still dream on it. And Arduino is complete new for me). I keep you informed.

PS: I made it today, is working!!!
The DEScribe tool was able to change the baud  rate properly to 38400 bauds, and I am able now to drive the tank using the serial package. The end of beginning! Thanks LukeZ, I really was lost without your support.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:54:13 AM by Costique »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 12:02:07 PM »
Great news! I don't know why the OP Config utility didn't work when the DEscribe did. I have never tested a 2x12 personally but I know others who have used them, and the commands are the same for all Sabertooth models. If I someday find a bug in my program I will fix it but for now I don't know what it could be.

The main thing is yours is now working.

Good luck with your move and keep us posted on your model!
Open Panzer FAQs

bomber-explosion