Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline bayou

• View Profile
  • Germany
Re: Gyro Turret lock function
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 06:07:01 AM »
Problem in "normal" mode is the ESC behind for turning the turret. it wants to turn but don't move.
when i connect a servo it work very well.

i have built in a 3-axis gyro. now i am asking me if it would be better to replace it with a 6-axis gyro with more features or the 3rd one with "hover" or "balance" mode.
for details see screenshot
built in is at the moment the "right" one - column 4
ScreenShot 386.jpg
Gyro Turret lock function ScreenShot 386.jpg
Views: 1455

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 03:34:10 PM »
Hi Ulrich, can you give us a link to the gyro you are using as well as to the other ones you are considering? It would be nice for us to see what you're doing so we can follow along, or try it ourselves. 

You will want to make sure the ESC you are using for the turret rotation does not have "brake" enabled (most do). With brake it will not want to change direction immediately.

The other problem I would think is that the standard turret rotation motors (Heng Long/Taigen) are very slow and would not be able to move fast enough. A high speed servo, modified for continuous rotation, might work better.

From your description it sounds like in theory the 3-axis gyro is all you need, the problem is in the mechanical implementation (if I understand you correctly). There is actually no such thing as a "6-axis" gyro, there are only ever 3 axis of movement. What they call "6-axis" just means essentially that it is more sensitive, but the functionality is going to be basically the same. However as you point out maybe one of the advanced "modes" available on the "6-axis" would work better in practice.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline bayou

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 04:08:01 PM »
Hi Luke.

thanks for your reply.
i've already used several ESC without brake. one started directly with grumbling after plug to the OP board. (the "grumbler", brake is switchable https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OCDAY-RC-ESC-20A-Brush-Motor-Speed-Controller-w-Brake-for-RC-Car-Boat-Tank/32802971854.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dT9fTqC)
these one completly without break function. (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JMT-20A-Brushed-ESC-Car-Motor-Speed-Controller-Bothway-No-brake-function-For-1-16-1/32766637613.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4daFY0Xg) and used for the turning unit.

also is the turning unit modified. one gear reduction is removed and also the motor. a much faster one from a small 1/24 buggy. a lot of torque and 60% more rpm's
see screen shot for details.
i've used the HL/TG unit. drilled some new holes. changed postion from gears. that's it. the mounting points for the TU from the HL Leopard upper hull fit. the ring from the turret sit a bit strong but don't move any more will driving. turning with this modified unit is nearly scale (and not so fast like the Clark one)

more details about the gyros will you find here.
www.hobbyeagle.com
A3-L is built inside the Leo 2

one solution which should work (when i calculate it right)
a second gyro from the same type
- one in "normal mode" for the gun
- one in "3D mode" for turning
i know about the channels. i can use 6 and 7 in passtrough mode with 3-pos-switches

else the other gyro which i am thinking about - A3S3 - will work in "hover" or any other mode. here is the possibility for a "user defined mode". may be it works. but the  request which i've started is still unanswered.

regards Ulrich
ScreenShot MTAT.png
Gyro Turret lock function ScreenShot MTAT.png
Views: 1140

Offline bayou

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 01:56:12 PM »
Here's a small video about how it works. it has a delay ...

meanwhile have i ordered the A3S3 and hope that it wokrs better because of the config-possibilites.

regards
Ulrich

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 10:48:25 PM »
If I understand your earlier comments correctly, it is possible to get a gyro to work on one axis or the other correctly, but since they are designed for helicopters and not tanks, there is not an appropriate mode that will control both the turret rotation and barrel elevation channels in the manner we need, is that about right?

I wonder if using two independent single-axis gyros, one for each channel, might be the simplest approach. But we will look forward to seeing your progress with the A3S3.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 03:45:18 AM »
Hi,
the best and easy solution is the StabiWii from Squirler.
It works direct without any delay and is fully configurable.

Offline bayou

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 10:18:10 AM »
I wonder if using two independent single-axis gyros, one for each channel, might be the simplest approach. But we will look forward to seeing your progress with the A3S3.

Hi Luke.
i've looked for single axis gyros but have not found what i'am looking for. so i've tried the above one.

@jhamm
i am looking for an easy solution. which is for all easy in use, installation and configuration. plug and p(l/r)ay ;-)
(about MultiWii -> i know how to use and configure.)

Offline bayou

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »
"normal function in 3D-mode" when powering on WITHOUT moving gun barrel after init.

after moving gun barrel