Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Settings for Airsoft and IR on one tank
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »
Good analysis, I agree in this case the 2x5 will be plenty adequate. In the event of a stuck track I would be more concerned about protecting your expensive drivetrain than the controller, which as you say will take care of itself. But in this case since your stall current is close to the Sabertooth shutoff that works out to be fairly good protection right there.

Thanks for making the measurement and posting it, that will be good info for others. It aligns with the measurements I have made of a handful of models, 5 amps is usually just adequate for metal-tracked models in normal conditions but sometimes just a bit shy of what might be preferable. It's a shame the 2x12 is so expensive and worse, so massive. For that reason I prefer the Pololu Qik 2s12v10 or the Scout if the Sabertooth 2x5 is not enough. A controller in the 10 amp range is about the sweet spot for heavy 1/16th models, but most including your Hooben will be fine with 5 amps unless you plan to pull a sled through mud.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 05:45:39 PM »
Hi Luke,

Rather than open a new topic, I thought I'd just tag it onto this one since its relevant.  When out driving the Panther today, I noticed an anomaly:

When driving along and shooting the cannon on the move with the airsoft off via the transmitter switch, and then stopping, switching the airsoft on and shooting; the recoil is no longer coordinated with the cannon sound and pellet expulsion, but instead it recoils instantaneously with the hitting of the cannon switch.  And it will continue like this until I switch off the airsoft, and fire the cannon.  Then all is back to normal when I turn on the airsoft switch with the recoil, pellet, and noise all synchronous. 

It seems like a small coordination in the firmware?  perhaps? 

Anyway, just thought I'd pass it along so you can add it to your already way too long to do list...glad to be of service 8^). 

jerry

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 12:43:53 PM »
Hi Jerry, you can try this test version of firmware, I sort of doubt it will solve your problem and I haven't had time to test it, but it does fix a very minor bug related to the track recoil.

If it doesn't then I will have to try to re-produce the issue on my end which I can do later when I have more time. I do not think it is likely that driving around is actually the thing causing the issue.

Are you using the airsoft enable/disable functions, or the airsoft toggle function? (Typically that is the difference between a 2-position and 3-position switch respectively). Whichever one you are using, you might try swapping for the other function(s) to see if that changes anything.
TCB_0-93-03_TEST.hex
(278.75 kB ~ Downloads: 409)
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »
Hi Luke,

Okay, now I'm totally confused!!   Lets see if I can remember exactly what I actually did:

1)  I loaded the hex file you sent, thank you for that (I think?). 

2)  I loaded the saved Panther configuration file. Just to be sure. (got a note that 2 settings were deleted and need to resave a new file?)

3)  Tested the tank, and now the sound won't turn off....If I attempt to turn it off then the smoker quits, tank won't drive, etc. but the sound remains...cannon works, even airsoft, idle sounds still on.  Hmmm......
4)  So I tried to go back to the standard firmware flash, and reflashed it.   

5)  Pulled up the config file, and it repeats the 2 settings deleted, etc.)

6)  Sounds still won't turn off.  Checked the functions, and it still looks okay, lower left is toggle on/off.....??

7)  recoil/pellet/sound coordination is still off after running and firing in IR mode. 

I'm going to recharge the LiPo, just in case (did it recently but just in case) and repeat.  Jerry

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 05:16:42 PM »
Hi Luke,

Tried a differnt LiPo, no joy

So then I re-calibrated the radio, thinking that would maybe be why it won't turn off the idle sound.  Nothing

So, with the tank started then shut off via transmitter, verified by smoker starting then stopping, I unplugged the lead to the Taigen sound card, and the sound stopped.  I plugged it back in and it stayed off.  Curious.

So I swapped with a known good Taigen sound card, and no change.

I'll try and go back a change or two in the hex files to see if that helps.

Jerry

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »
It sounds like you have multiple things going on and it's not all entirely clear to me. Let us focus on a single issue at a time and ignore the others until one is resolved, and then move on to the next.

There should be never be a message about settings being "deleted." However if you import an OPZ file from an earlier version of OP Config into a later version of OP Config, your OPZ file may not have certain new settings that have been added since. OP Config may tell you that "not all settings were imported" which is fine, it just means your OPZ file doesn't know about the new settings. In this case you need to import your OPZ file to load all your old settings, then save back over the file you just imported. Now the new settings will be added to the file and you shouldn't see that message again.

Earlier we were working on a lack of synchronization between the airsoft and other effects, but which only happened after driving around. I don't doubt something is going on but I am skeptical that driving around is really the cause, so I was wondering if you could pinpoint the minimum state of things that might reproduce the issue, ie, just turn your tank on maybe with your airsoft on/off switch in different positions and see if the synchronization is missing right from the start, or see if changing the functions from on/off to toggle makes a difference, etc...

I won't have time this weekend to work on anything but maybe next week I can get back to it.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »
With regards to the Taigen sound card not turning off - there was indeed a bug which I was able to identify in relatively short order, since it was just introduced a few weeks ago when changes were made to the sound code for adjustments to the TBS Mini. It is very common when a change is made in one place that it has unintended consequences in another, and this was one of those times.

I've posted a TCB firmware update (0.93.03) that corrects the Taigen issue. It also includes my "fix" that I posted for you in the test version a few days ago, I actually don't think that "fix" makes any difference to anything and apparently it didn't since you are still having issues with your airsoft. But regardless you can ignore the test version from here on out.

I will delve further into the airsoft thing later when I have some more time.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 10:41:53 PM »
Hi Luke,

Thank you for the sound fix, I thought I was going nuts!!......Anyways, I'm sorry if it has taken you away from other, more important matters than our toys!!

Here is a run down on trying to identify the steps that take the tank to an non-coordinated sound/track recoil/pellet expulsion in an airsoft unit:

Okay, sequence of events:

Trial 1
Presets:  Airsoft 2 pos. sw. in off position. 

Radio on
Tank turned on from cold via battery switch
Started via transmitter switch (lower left of left joystick go to 100%)
Cycle airsoft switch to clear any presets (it will fire in airsoft mode initially if not cycled)
Shoot cannon in IR mode (airsoft sw. off) Results: recoil/sound in coordination.
Move Airsoft sw. to Airsoft mode. Shoot.  Results: recoil/sound/pellet expulsion in coordination.
Move Airsoft sw. to IR mode. 
Drive tank straight ahead, and fire cannon on the move. No recoil, of course, and cannon noise happens as expected.
Stop tank.
Move Airsoft sw. to Airsoft mode.
Shoot cannon.  Results: recoil happens initially like in IR mode, Airsoft motor winds up and shoots pellet.  Sound occurs as pellet expels. i.e. not coordinated.

Trial 2
Presets:  Airsoft sw. in on position
Radio turned on.
Started via transmitter switch (lower left of left joystick go to 100%)
Shoot cannon in Airsoft mode. Results: recoil/sound in coordination.
Move Airsoft sw. to IR mode. Shoot.  Results: recoil/sound/pellet expulsion in coordination.
Drive tank straight ahead, and fire cannon. No recoil, of course, and cannon noise happens as expected.
Stop tank.
Move Airsoft sw. to Airsoft mode.
Shoot cannon.  Results: recoil happens initially like in IR mode, Airsoft motor winds up and shoots pellet.  Sound occurs as pellet expels. i.e. not coordinated
Conclusion: doesn't matter which position the airsoft switch is in initially on startup.

Trial 3
Presets: Airsoft sw. off
Radio turned on (reverse of trials 1 & 2)
Repeat above two trials: Results: no change
Conclusions:  Radio/battery switch sequence not an issue.

Trial 4
Presets: Airsoft sw. off
Radio then tank batt sw. turned on.
Start tank via transmitter
Cycle airsoft sw.
Drive tank, shoot cannon while in motion, wait for flasher to cycle, stop tank.
Switch to airsoft mode, shoot cannon. Results: non coordinated
Switch to IR mode, shoot cannon. Results: Sound/Track recoil coordinated.
Switch to airsoft mode, shoot cannon. Results: It is now coordinated. 
Conclusion: Switching back to IR mode and shooting cannon seems to reset the airsoft cycle where the track recoil happens with pellet and sound i.e. the airsoft switch.

No rush on this!!  get the important stuff done.....I really understand, (been there.....)

Thanks again, I really appreciate your efforts!! 

Jerry

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 11:01:31 PM »
Hi Luke,  again,

So I loaded up your latest firmware, and it indeed fixed the sound issue.  Unfortunately, the coordination of the sound/pellet/track recoil is now gone, totally?  Ha!!  how about that?   Best laid plans and all that.  Back to square one? 

Try it on yours, and confirm it?  I may have a bad airsoft limit switch (they do go bad I understand), but it still stops the sound and airsoft motor right after the pellet goes, so I'm doubting it. 

Thanks again, chat with you soon. 

Jerry

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 02:20:14 PM »
Hi Luke,

I would like to modify my statement of the recoil on airsoft coordination being totally gone. 

If I have the airsoft switch off, and turn the radio then battery switch on and fire the cannon, the track recoil is coordinated.
I then turn on the airsoft switch, and it is still coordinated.
I then turn off the airsoft and fire....IR mode, okay.
I then turn on the airsoft switch, and bingo, non coordinated. 

I then did the same sequence, starting the tank after the battery switch is turned on, and same results..

I don't know if this helps your troubleshooting or not, but I thought it might.

jerry

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 02:43:38 PM »
Thanks Jerry, your last description will indeed help and I think you have now boiled it down to essence of the problem. This will save me time because now I know exactly where to look, so thank you. It does seem as if driving really has nothing to do with it, but rather that after toggling the airsoft off the first time, afterwards it will not go back on again correctly.

I'm confident I can fix this when I have some time to sit down and focus and get into "programming" mode, but I might not get an opportunity for another week yet. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your troubleshooting help.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 02:46:34 PM »
Hi Jerry, finally had a bit of time and tracked down this bug. As usual, it was introduced as a side-effect to a recent change somewhere else. It should be fixed now, I've posted a new TCB firmware release that you will need to flash (0.93.04). It won't erase any of your settings nor do you need to update OP Config.

Let me know if you have any more issues.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 05:08:06 PM »
Hi Luke,

Thank you so much!!  Its all back to normal now (still have to cycle the A/S sw. on start, but hey.....its great now). 

Jerry

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 05:59:59 PM »
Not sure why you have to toggle the switch, that is not a behavior I can replicate on my end. All channels are read on startup and any function assigned with the position of those channels is executed, if you have a switch set to enable airsoft in a certain position and the switch is in that position when the TCB starts, then the enable airsoft function will be called. Perhaps try turning your radio on before the TCB. Maybe could also have something to do with your PWM-PPM converter if you're still using that, though it seems unlikely.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 03:30:01 PM »
Actually, the switch in question is in the disabled position in startup.  In the setup file, I've got position one as disabled, and position two as enabled.  I always have it disabled unless I see a cat (just kidding).   So the tank should start up with the airsoft disabled, which it doesn't.  Is it redundant to have both positions documented? or is just saying enabled in position 2 sufficient? 

jerry