Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: How to use all switches & pots on Turnigy 9x radio
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 02:59:39 PM »
Rad you may be right, I was looking only at the table at the top of the page which lists "FrSkyD," but as you point out when you scroll down they specifically mention FrSky X.

I've noticed that features change so fast and frequently on the Multiprotocol project that the documentation rarely keeps up and I have to dig through thousands of forum posts to get the real scoop. So it very well could be that X-Series are supported now.

You'll just have to buy a receiver and try it!
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 12:50:24 AM »
Hi, yep, this keeps updating and evolving so fast, that is very hard to not to loose yourself between hundreds of posts and forums everywhere.

For updating the firmware I did not have to solderanything to the module. I just followed some video tutorials from Joao at rc universe. I had to flash a lot of things to it, but definitelly there was no need to solder anything. And now I can update the module from the radio itself.

Today I am travelling to Spain, and I will put the tutorial link here when I grab a computer. You might find it useful.

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 04:35:02 AM »
Hi Rad,
you need Firmware V1.1.6
My Module is V1.1.5 and could not bind with X8R!
Try all things what possible -different Firmware with and without LBT - no chance.
Have actual no time for modify the Module with soldering in pins for Firmwareupgrade.... 8)

Hi Jhamm, here are the promised video tutorials, courtesy of Mr Joao.

And this is the thread with tons of info:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2165676-DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module
I think it would be a good idea to skip the first 700 pages, due to they are probarbly more than obsolete.

I already asked there if it is possible to use that receiver with this module, because this is the one I am planning to use with the Open Panzer board.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 03:55:20 PM by Rad_Schuhart »

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 07:00:31 AM »
Quick update here. I received the XSR receiver today, https://hobbyking.com/en_us/frsky-xsr-2-4-ghz-accst-receiver.html?___store=en_us and I bound it with the multiprotocol module. Just some important things to keep in mind:
First, it comes with no connector, so you have to provide one. I salvaged a futaba like connector from a dead servo.

Then you have to solder the wires. Black to black (GND), red to red (+), the yellow is for telemetry, so I did not touch it (yet, lol), the green is for CPPM, which I left untouched too, and the white is the SBUS one, and you have to connect it too.)

Then for binding the module, is important to choose the Protocol, which is FrskyX, the type (that means, the firmware the receiver has, EU16ch (Europe) or CH16 (China) it was china in my case. You can change the software in the receiver, but why to bother if you can select the one you have with the radio? :)

After some unsuccesfull tries binding, I found in a forum that I had to change the module frecuency. The stock frecuency is set to 0 and the tutorial said to first try with +40 or -40. If it does not work, to keep increasing the numbers until it works. In my case it worked with +40.

Then I connected the Open Panzer board to the computer, and in the "Op config" program I clicked on "read radio" and then I  was able to check that my receiver was receiving all my signals. :)

I am very happy now and this is only the beginning!

EDIT: This is my first receiver with telemetry. Do you have any idea of what do I need or what do I have to do to see the battery voltage in my radio?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:23:11 AM by Rad_Schuhart »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 07:25:28 PM »
Rad, this is why I recommend the X4R-SB receiver which is very small, does not require any soldering, and also includes a convenient AIN (analog input) for direct voltage monitoring of your onboard battery using a cheap FBVS-01 (or you can make your own voltage divider for almost no cost with a few resistors).

The XSR receiver only uses SPort for telemetry which requires you to purchase this expensive and bulky add-on for voltage monitoring: SP-FLVS.

However if you want to hack your XSR you can still use the cheaper method described above, see this thread on RC Groups.

Also, for anyone stumbling across this thread in the future, remember that Rad is using a Multiprotocol module in his radio. You will not have to worry about any of these complicated binding details if you use an FrSky module and receiver.

I know Rad you like to tinker, but for 99% of everyone else I want to advise just buy standard gear and you will save yourself a lot of work and trouble, and in the end you will probably save money too.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

bomber-explosion