Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
Benedini Micro & Openpanzer
« on: November 05, 2017, 12:22:24 PM »
In the Wiki it is stated clear that the TCB is only compatible with TBS Flash v3.0.

Problem is that the TBS micro is not supported by v3.0 and only works with V1.0

So.. what if i want to make a Micro work with the TCB?
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Benedini Micro & Openpanzer
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »
Good question, but you aren't going to like the answer. :)

As everyone probably knows, clones of the TBS Micro appeared on various Chinese websites a year or so ago and are still widely available for bargain prices. Unfortunately these were not authorized by Thomas Benedini and they give him no money from their sale. Even worse, the Chinese clones still require Thomas's software in order to configure them.

This explains why Thomas removed support for the Micro in his new version of TBS Flash (v3.0 and later), as you have observed. The decision was intentional.

Although the Open Panzer project would love to be cloned by the Chinese, I respect that Thomas is trying to run a business and actually make a profit. He was very helpful and cooperated with me in adding several features to his newest version of Flash specifically at my request that make it more powerful when paired with our Tank Control Board. Out of respect to him therefore the Open Panzer project is written only for compatibility with his latest version of Flash. There are practical reasons for this as well, it is too much work to maintain support for two different versions of Flash, so it makes sense to proceed only with the latest software.

But since Thomas has decided the latest software will not work with the Micro, therefore the TCB does not officially support the Micro.

You can in fact still use the Micro with the TCB (configure it with the original Flash v1) but probably the only thing you will get to work is the engine sounds.

I just posted this same answer to a similar question over on the RCTankWarfare forums.

I wish I had a different answer. For now the availability of an affordable yet high quality sound solution still evades us.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 02:28:38 PM »
Ah well, clear enough.. Focus on the Open sound module it is then..

It's a shame though that this leaves the owners of non-chinese copies of the TBS Micro in the cold by this "commercial" move.
Many shelled out between 70 - 90 euro's.  It didn't feel good when i had to buy the programming cable from Thomas for 30 euro's including shipping..

But then again i also had my doubts with Elmod, IBU and Clarks.. That's why i went here. I will turn my focus on Openpanzer all the way!

Cheers, John

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 03:36:44 PM »
It's a shame though that this leaves the owners of non-chinese copies of the TBS Micro in the cold by this "commercial" move.

Just one clarification, people can still use the Micro (I mean in general) they just need to use the older version of TBS Flash. The Micro (and the Mini) were originally designed and marketed for use with standard RC gear and that is still the case, so nothing has changed there. Of course not many people have a 12 or 16-position switch on their transmitter and even if they did they would have to be an octopus to manipulate it in time with their tank movements. So a lot of capability is opened up when these sound cards are paired with the Open Panzer board, and you're right it's a shame this won't extend to the Micro for commercial reasons as you correctly state.

It is what it is. In the long run it could be a good thing. The fact that Benedini and other products similar to his are so ridiculously overpriced is the very reason that we are starting to see alternatives, including the Chinese clones of the Micro but also the new Taigen sound cards and the Open Panzer design, which however may or may not ever see the light of day depending on the production Gods.

Hopefully the gaping hole in the market will motivate some much-needed competition.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 03:45:36 AM »
The TBS is not too expensive, because it is one of the best sounding devices and worth every penny.
The parameterization software is excellent and the TBS is easy to combine with the TCB.
Thomas Bendini developed the TBS, had the boards made and programm the Software - that cost a lot of Time and a lot of Money.
You have to know, Benedini is a one-man company, since february he only does that part-time because the business does not bring in enough money.
The TBS is not open source and that's why Thomas Bendini has the right to protect his development.

Ask Luke, how many time he spend to the TCB-Project....

Just my 2 cent
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:55:01 AM by jhamm »

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:01:16 AM »
I understand this completely. And i respect all the hard work Thomas has put into this.
And i agree fully that the Benedini sound system is one of the best available..

What i do criticize is his business approach. Especially on the choice to lead the TBS micro on a side track and nerf its possibilities.

It is Thomas's brainchild and product so he is in his full right to do with it what he wants. Period.

But it Just leaves me pondering what the possibilities could have been.. Just think about what makes (like) Android so popular...... Everybody uses it! And why? Because it is free..

What Thomas did is what i learned in a recent IP Workshop "introduction to patents":

Proceed with business without patent protection (keep competitive advantage in different manners, i.e. trademark protection, services, distribution channels, marketing, etc.

But unfortunately he did the first and not the second. Like i said, i will keep using his wonderful products. But i also see a bright future for the Open sound card..

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »
Ask Luke, how many time he spend to the TCB-Project....

Just don't ask me how rich I've gotten! ::)
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 12:47:37 AM »
Luke,
you are rich on knowledge.
This is worth more than money!  ;)