Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: 3D Printed T-35
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 07:41:46 PM »
I have also added a tiny computer fan into the actual fan of the t35, works great and I plan on wiring it to the AUX output. Is there a way to tie the value of the AUX voltage to the throttle to simulate the fan spinning faster with engine demand? not critical but I think it would be neat.

Hi Dean, I've added this feature finally, you will need to update OP Config and then flash the latest version of TCB firmware (both will be 0.92.18).

You will see three new analog (variable) triggers that can be assigned to analog functions, such as "Aux Output - Set Level." They are Throttle Command, Engine Speed and Vehicle Speed. Throttle command is essentially your throttle stick (but only active when the engine is on), engine speed is close to that but has some padding to prevent sudden sharp changes (this is essentially the signal that gets fed to the smoker and sound cards, so we want a smooth response). Both of those are active whenever the engine is on, whether the transmission is engaged or not. Vehicle speed of course requires the vehicle to be moving and will reflect the actual speed as constrained by acceleration and deceleration presets, etc... So take your pick.

One problem with this for your application however is that all three of these triggers have outputs of Zero when the vehicle is stopped or when the throttle is at rest ("idle"). Presumably you would like your fan to be blowing some minimum amount at all times rather than stopping completely. That is the way the smoker output works, because it provides the option of setting a minimum smoker speed to be maintained at "idle." But these other signals are actually literally 0 at rest so that is what will be reflected on any output to which you link them.

For that reason I reiterate that the smoker output would probably be preferable for your purposes. And I'm not sure exactly what these new triggers will be useful for, but maybe now they're there someone will think of something. In testing I just put LEDs on the Aux output and I get a dimming effect as the throttle is advanced or the vehicle begins to move. Cool I guess, and useful for visualizing what accel/decel constraints do, but not ultimately of much practical purpose.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 10:22:39 AM »
Johnny, I will post the files when I am done fixing the numerous mistakes I encountered while building, missing tolerances and ignored details and parts. Would not want someone else having to sand as many parts as I did!
Hello Luke!
Thanks for adding this feature, I may give it a shot.
Currently I like to have the fan and smoke unit separate, as I do not want to be burning the smoke oil all the time.
I replaced the fan motor and I now get a perfect speed at 10% output, however I can hear the board switching the voltage, its a piercing whine, which cuts through the engine noises noticeably. See below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19khUhRr5EvIl22muPwxcax_TGYcncZ8g

I doubt it is possible to fix this, but I figured I would let you know, because it seems you are doing your R&D with nice quiet LEDs.

My more pressing issue is the engine startup sounds on the Mini.
No matter the mode written to the sound card (auto or manual start) my engine sounds start when the boards do, and the TCB "engine" is off. Using the "toggle engine start" predictably flips this, I have drive but no sounds.
Any ideas would be appreciated!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:56:30 AM by Dean Rauch »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 06:42:49 PM »
I replaced the fan motor and I now get a perfect speed at 10% output, however I can hear the board switching the voltage, its a piercing whine, which cuts through the engine noises noticeably. ...I doubt it is possible to fix this, but I figured I would let you know, because it seems you are doing your R&D with nice quiet LEDs.

Yes my test LEDs have indeed been very quiet! In fact it was possible at one time to have the Aux output operate at ultrasonic frequencies, the way the smoker and turret motor outputs still do. Then we added support for the Taigen sound card and I had to reconfigure one of the timer resources to generate the special pulses it requires, for reasons that are too boring to go into we used the same timer that was generating the Aux output PWM. Not really thinking about motor applications the frequency chosen at that time was quite low for convenience in the Taigen application.

Revisiting this code today I was able to increase the PWM frequency significantly while still maintaining the Taigen sound card functionality. What you have been hearing, and what your video illustrates quite effectively, is a 2 kHz PWM frequency. I have now bumped it up to 15.6 kHz. That is not quite ultrasonic (which would be >20 kHz) but I think you will find it probably eliminates all audible whine.

My more pressing issue is the engine startup sounds on the Mini. No matter the mode written to the sound card (auto or manual start) my engine sounds start when the boards do, and the TCB "engine" is off. Using the "toggle engine start" predictably flips this, I have drive but no sounds.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, this was in fact a bug. Looking back it was found to have been introduced in August of last year, so I guess that shows you how many people are using the Benedini Mini since then...  It is now corrected.

Both these changes are implemented in the new TCB firmware I have just posted (v0.92.19)
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 07:30:43 PM »
Thanks for the quick fixes Luke! You are a machine.
I will test the firmware tomorrow!

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 01:23:27 PM »
Hello guys, here is a quick and shaky video of the tank moving around!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11Hktcusiao6wx30hNgDSWFQ2ZOdFXl8H

Thanks Luke for the new firmware, the fan motor is quiet enough to work with and the engine sounds are now working.
I am unable to use a 2 position switch assigned to start and stop, this still auto starts, but using the switch as a toggle command works.
Only issues now are the throttle sounds rev up to full when my stick is about 60% up, and the turret sounds are a bit patchy, but this may be a TBS issue.
Next is the machine guns and then the paint!

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2018, 02:02:38 PM »
I am unable to use a 2 position switch assigned to start and stop, this still auto starts, but using the switch as a toggle command works.

Yes that is normal, I should probably put a note about this somewhere in the Wiki. The Mini is unlike other sound cards in that it doesn't have an explicit on and explicit off command, it only has "engine toggle." The TCB has on/off functions but when used with the Mini they each can only do the same thing, which is call the "toggle" command on the Mini. If you set on/off to a two position switch, on boot that switch will inevitably be in one or the other position, and therefore on boot the Mini will get toggled, which causes it to turn on.

Therefore when using the Mini it makes more sense to use the TCB's toggle command as well.

Only issues now are the throttle sounds rev up to full when my stick is about 60% up, and the turret sounds are a bit patchy, but this may be a TBS issue.

This could be, or else you might also want to re-check radio setup in OP Config to make sure you have your throttle range mapped correctly.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2018, 03:04:01 PM »
To clarify, I still have throttle response past 60%, just the sounds stop there.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2018, 04:03:59 PM »
The only thing I can say is to check the Misc tab of Benedini's Flash program and make sure your Prop 1 settings are as shown in the Wiki, that would confirm that the Mini is aware of the full throttle range.

The other thing you can do is temporarily attach a servo to the Prop 1 output of the TCB and see if it moves across the entire throttle range. It should, and if it does then the issue is with your Mini though I can't say what it would be. Perhaps try re-flashing the Mini, and reloading the sounds and the Prop Settings file as a first step.

I watched your video and the model looks great. However impractical in real life, I would not have wanted to be the soldier that had all three turrets pointed my way!
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2018, 11:19:16 AM »
Thanks Luke,
Today I was re mapping some controls to try and fit a machine gun toggle in, so i have moved the engine controls to one of the turret positions.
I find I need a "Toggle AUX output at preset dim level" function as if I assign toggle aux on/off" and "Aux preset dim level" to the same trigger, the board reboots.
Is this possible?
Also I found a short USB extension online and have run it through a detachable panel, this makes programming so much easier!

IMAG0359.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0359.jpg
Views: 3710
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:46:23 AM by Dean Rauch »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2018, 09:42:53 PM »
I find I need a "Toggle AUX output at preset dim level" function as if I assign toggle aux on/off" and "Aux preset dim level" to the same trigger, the board reboots.

It is entirely possible to create combinations of function triggers that will cause problems! It is too much to try to check in advance every combination for potential conflicts. But yes it is no problem to add a new function to toggle the Preset Dim level, I have added it for you in the latest release (v0.92.20 - you will have to update both OP Config and TCB firmware).

The other way to accomplish it with the existing functions would have been to assign a two-position switch with Preset Dim in one position and Off in the other position. That one would have worked, but I know it is not exactly the same thing as toggle, and toggle can be more useful when you are using 3-position switches.

Today I was re mapping some controls to try and fit a machine gun toggle in, so i have moved the engine controls to one of the turret positions.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I have also gone ahead and added the steering channel and both turret stick channels (elevation and rotation) as variable trigger sources for analog functions (throttle channel was already added a few updates ago). This allows us to re-map or copy these channels to other outputs (RC pass-through the most logical use). Most people will not need to use these but it might come in handy in some very unusual cases.

Also I found a short USB extension online and have run it through a detachable panel, this makes programming so much easier!

I use these too! Makes things so much easier. For others reading this, you can even get them with right-angle connectors on the TCB side for tight installs (like these up/down versions or these left/right versions). You can also get panel mount types like this.
UpDown_USB.jpg
3D Printed T-35 UpDown_USB.jpg
Views: 1219
LeftRight_USB.jpg
3D Printed T-35 LeftRight_USB.jpg
Views: 1185
PanelMount_USB.jpg
3D Printed T-35 PanelMount_USB.jpg
Views: 1156
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2018, 12:22:28 PM »
Hello again guys,
I was wondering how to get the cannon reloading sounds? I have noticed on some videos you can hear the brass hitting the ground and other loading noises.
Is this just a longer fire sound file being played?

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »
Is this just a longer fire sound file being played?
That's been my experience with any such sounds.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 10:57:10 AM »
Here are some current pictures of the build!
IMAG0361.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0361.jpg
Views: 1084
IMAG0370.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0370.jpg
Views: 875
IMAG0375.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0375.jpg
Views: 877
IMAG0376.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0376.jpg
Views: 815
IMAG0377.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0377.jpg
Views: 820

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 10:58:34 AM »
And some of the mess inside. I will fix this when I paint...probably.
The clip on gear covers help keep the grease from flying all over the insides of the tank.
IMAG0379.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0379.jpg
Views: 973
IMAG0380.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0380.jpg
Views: 950
IMAG0381.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0381.jpg
Views: 906

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 08:32:34 PM »
I think I've said this already more than a few times, but it's pretty awesome! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see it with some paint.
Open Panzer FAQs