Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
Re: 3D Printed T-35
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »
Thanks guys! I have no issues with the plastic hull, it is surprisingly robust in 5mm thickness.
Would be interesting to see someone else one-up me with a metal one though :D
Also, as a result of my laziness I accidentally let the magic smoke out of my Sabertooth in an excited rush to drive the machine, so that will be delayed slightly.
On the bright side, my 0.5 W 3.4V warm white LED's I plan on using for the headlights and possible spotlight came in today! I read I have 3 watts to work with so they should be fine.

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 05:31:16 PM »
On second thought, the spotlights make the main turret look even goofier, I dont think I can handle that. 

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »
On the bright side, my 0.5 W 3.4V warm white LED's I plan on using for the headlights and possible spotlight came in today! I read I have 3 watts to work with so they should be fine.

Actually that is 3 amps, not 3 watts, which is a little different. A 1/2 watt LED must be quite the beast, but of course you can always drive it a lower current than the maximum. I assume 3.4 volts is the forward voltage (Vf) rating of your LED, what you also want to look up is the forward current (If) and plug those two into a LED calculator using 5 volts as the supply voltage (since that is what the TCB will give you). It will spit out what resistor you need and how many watts you will pull. You can always decrease the current draw if you increase the size of the resistor.

Anyway, I actually like the looks of the spotlights in your photo, goofy yes but also cute!
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 07:30:49 PM »
Alright, believe it or not I do have electrical theory under my belt, seems I need to use it more often!
Based on my measurements and your (very handy) link, I need a 6.66 ohm resistor.
Lowest I have is a 10, but the LED gets quite hot, (its a COB style, needs a heat sink)
Runs perfect with a 30 though!
Thanks for the help.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 07:42:57 PM »
Wow ok then, that really is a beast and not a typo. Total current draw I guess will be about 1/3 amp, so still well within the TCB limits.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »
Gentlemen, It drives!
Got the Sabertooth in today so I kludged it together to give a test.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eusdzzvuF1bvpeHilOKZvsjw-VJel6GT/view?usp=sharing
Ignore the masking tape and the un-sanded return rollers causing the track to jump :P
Notes:
-One of my chinesium motors has massive authority over the other, need almost full trim to go straight
-Thanks to the huge track contact area, turning can stall the motors if on carpet
-Might have to look into a 3:1 Mato box to increase torque and reduce speed

Despite these notes, I am still thrilled with it :D
IMAG0287.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0287.jpg
Views: 3687

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 09:43:51 PM »
Super awesome! That thing is so long it's like a train on tracks!
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 08:19:48 PM »
Hello!
I was driving this thing around today now that I have all the axles in, and I noticed I was able to have the drive motors stutter, If I accelerated quickly and let off the stick before the higher speed was reached, the model will give bumps of acceleration slowing down, I will post a video of this behavior later, perhaps my motors are drawing more than 5 amps.
I have also added a tiny computer fan into the actual fan of the t35, works great and I plan on wiring it to the AUX output. Is there a way to tie the value of the AUX voltage to the throttle to simulate the fan spinning faster with engine demand? not critical but I think it would be neat.

Also have some progress pics and showing off the smoke unit:

IMAG0310.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0310.jpg
Views: 1064
IMAG0309.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0309.jpg
Views: 978
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:21:13 PM by Dean Rauch »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 09:00:56 PM »
You're using the Sabertooth, right? You might check to make sure your battery is charged, I have experienced the Sabertooth glitching when the battery gets low. I highly doubt you are drawing more than 5 amps.

Otherwise post your OPZ file and let me know what version of firmware you're using, and I will see if I can replicate the problem on my end.

That is an interesting idea to slave the Aux to engine speed, I will consider that. What you could do that might be just as easy is to run your fan from the Smoker output instead, which is already slaved to engine speed. The Smoker output could easily handle both a typical HengLong/Taigen smoker and a second fan wired in parallel.

If you have a computer radio you can also mix whatever channel you have assigned to the Aux output to your throttle channel, that would accomplish the same thing without involving the TCB.

But I'll think about this idea and it may be I can add that feature to the TCB.

The model is looking good!

Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 09:29:51 PM »
Hello Luke, I am actually using a TARR smoker unit, I dont want to sap any power from its glory :D
Battery is good, its a 5000 MAH Li-po. I think I could fit 4 of those suckers in with the hull space I have.
Also yes, I am using the saber-tooth, but I suspect it could be the thickness of the wires to them being too small.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 09:41:41 PM »
Believe me, you won't stress the smoker output, the MOSFET on that one is rated to 35 amps - although in real world conditions it won't actually be able to deliver that much, and the JST plug is only rated to 3 amps, but still your tiny little PC fan probably only draws a few hundred milliamps.

The capacity of your battery is one thing, but even a high-capacity battery can be discharged. I'm sure you checked it but just saying it for others who come across this. Make sure your batteries are charged!

Thin wires certainly can be a legitimate concern in some situations. There is no substitute for a meter to troubleshoot current draw issues on your motors, if indeed that be the cause. We can guess all day but I have often been surprised at real-world measurements (either higher or lower than I expected). So if you think that's the problem slap a meter on one of your motors and find out for reals.

Or if you're using a radio system with telemetry many of them have current sensors available (FlySky and FrSky both do) so then you can see current draw right on your transmitter in real time. These have been invaluable in my own testing.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 04:05:15 PM »
Hello! I have made some progress:
All turrets are done, mounted and "wired" (it looks as bad inside as it looks good outside)
Elevation, Traverse and recoil all work on the main turret.
One side has received the side skirts.
Headlights are functional and very bright.

Pictures below!

Dean
IMAG0339.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0339.jpg
Views: 991
IMAG0340.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0340.jpg
Views: 1007
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:17:33 PM by Dean Rauch »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 05:04:13 PM »
Model looks great.

Try re-sizing your pictures before you post, they are massive dimensionally even if they don't appear very large in terms of file size. In order for the forum to create a thumbnail for the post it has to first de-compress your JPG and given the size of yours this process creates a file far beyond the size it can handle. Your pictures are over 5,000 pixels wide, this would be excessive even for a 4k TV screen. Scale them down and they will upload fine.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 05:15:22 PM »
You are correct!
Thats odd, all previous posts included pictures from the same phone without changes

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 01:51:44 AM »
Wow, Dean. You made great progress! When can we expect it on Thingiverse?
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress