Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
3D Printed T-35
« on: October 29, 2017, 07:46:30 AM »
Hello everyone, here I will post what I have going for my first tank build as well as my adventures with the TCB.

I will start by showing off my possibly unique TCB.

I ordered my TCB from HobbyKing on October 8th, 2017 as I figured de soldering some MOSFETs was not beyond me.
I received it some time later and have been playing around with the components I do have, the Saber tooth driver, my HL motors and a bunch of servos, all work well.
After reading the recent project status post warning of HobbyKings continued defects, I had a look at my board.

It seems I do not have the dreaded "23EG" chips, but instead have "GFDMR" with no obvious signs of hand soldering.
So far, when the board is powered without the transmitter, I get flashing of LEDs on the L1,L2,BRK & MG ports.

Im still new to this hardware, but I think we should not entirely give up on HK just yet!
I will include a close up picture of my board for you folks to have a look at.
TCBMOSFET.jpg
3D Printed T-35 TCBMOSFET.jpg
Views: 5014
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:22:16 AM by Dean Rauch »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: 3D Printed T-35
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »
Thanks for the report Dean. This is the first account of a correctly-manufactured board that I have heard of. Hopefully it is not the last! It's sad though that I get more information from end-users than I do from Hobby King.

But wait! You haven't told us anything about your 3D printed T-35! :)
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
3D Printed T-35: Modeling
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »
Hopefully others will receive the board I did then!

As for this project, I recently taught myself to 3D model and bought a used 3D printer (MakerGear M2 Rev.D)
I have had a HL Pz III collecting dust for a number of years, and decided that the coolest thing I could make with the printer was another tank.
Researching the subject, I found some interesting projects. Seeing the Spyker Workshop Scorpion tank being fully 3d printed and sold, I figured it wasn't impossible.

Admittedly the choice of the T-35 tank is due to War Thunder's influence, as it is a real monster in the game ;D coupled with the fact that it is all boxes and cylinders, good for a beginner in modeling. Thankfully due to my advanced control needs (with 5 turrets, cant have just ONE move!) I found the Open Panzer project.
Using the files from the game as reference, I was able to create a full solid model over the course of several weeks.
I am now in the progress of converting the one model into many printable and easily assembled pieces.

Front.jpg
3D Printed T-35 Front.jpg
Views: 2392
Side.jpg
3D Printed T-35 Side.jpg
Views: 2268
Top.jpg
3D Printed T-35 Top.jpg
Views: 2203
Perspective.jpg
3D Printed T-35 Perspective.jpg
Views: 2287

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 10:02:17 PM »
The T-35 is a fascinating choice. What a long "wheelbase!" I bet that thing has a wide turning radius. And I can definitely see you using 16 channels of control! In fact it's not hard to get close to needing 16 channels even on a conventional tank, when some channels are being used not directly for control but to modify operational parameters.

I have loosely followed the development of 3D printers over the past few years. I believe they will ultimately be revolutionary for the RC tank hobby. Unlike other areas of RC we are very limited in the models we can purchase so there is a great demand for new designs, and tanks lend themselves very well to 3D printing as you point out. My hesitation with them thus far has been the surface finish of parts being rough but high end machines can create very nice results and no doubt eventually the same will be true of consumer-grade printers. I'll be interested to see how your parts turn out.

Keep us posted on your project. I'm sure many people will be interested to follow your progress.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 06:49:33 AM »
Hi Dean, Great project! I love this thing in Warthunder.. its a beast.

Any chance on sharing the STL or even the STEP files with us?

I'm quite good at 3D designing and we use Solid Edge here at work. Maybe i could work out some frame details in metal (lasercutting) for it.
I am also in possesion of my own Lathe, so turning the running wheels would be an option!

Cheers, John
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 05:09:01 PM »
Hello Johnny, Thanks for your interest!

I plan on posting the entire build on Thingiverse or something similar once I finish the project, so if anyone else is crazy enough, they can try this too!
As for the metal parts, it would be awesome and much stronger, but I currently plan on printing the hull in 3 pieces, even with a 203 x 254 mm print bed.
I can send the files for the wheels and the hull as they are now though if you would like to experiment.
Note that STEP or STL cannot be attached here. 

Luke, You are right about the wheelbase, it is a bit longer than the Maus, (unless you count the "Keg" on the Maus's back) turning should be interesting.

As to the surface quality, I had initially designed everything to be sanded but after seeing that Scorpion above, It seems to look good without it. It will be nothing like the ludicrously detailed models I have seen, but its good enough for me!

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 06:59:37 PM »

I changed the forum settings so you should be able to post those files now.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 11:53:55 AM »
I can send the files for the wheels and the hull as they are now though if you would like to experiment.

Thanks Dean. Even the unfinished complete model would be fine. We could do some concurrent engineering on it. This thing just screams to get a lot of metal cut plating on it!
Any ideas on which tracks to use on it? Would KV-1 type work?

Cheers, John

*edit: look at http://www.jbrandenburg.de/?p=586 for someone that has created a 3D file also..

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »
Thanks for the link Johnny. I have had a look at that model but some things look a bit funny to me, I would rather have my own mistakes in the model :)

As for the tracks, I considered using KV tracks as was done in this (unfinished?) 1/16 RC:

This though, wouldnt do, as the T35 tracks are unique and substantially thinner than the KV ones.

After 5 days of continuous print time, I have printed all 8+ feet of track this monster needs, see the pictures.
I have also completed 3 types of wheels so far, the road wheels, the idler wheels and the drive sprockets.
I tested the tracks out with a few wheels and a drive sprocket using the HL gear boxes I have, they work well and will wear in to work smoother I believe. 
Lastly, I have a working prototype of the suspension bogie I plan on using, eliminating the rotation of the real bogies and simply using the 2 arms like a Sherman.

I will also attach some files you can mess around with.
Tracks.jpg
3D Printed T-35 Tracks.jpg
Views: 1139
Wheels.jpg
3D Printed T-35 Wheels.jpg
Views: 1094
Bogie.jpg
3D Printed T-35 Bogie.jpg
Views: 1071
RoadWheel.stp
(27.05 kB ~ Downloads: 593)
Hull.stp
(1031.67 kB ~ Downloads: 570)

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 04:06:45 PM »
Hi Dean, very nice.. Lot of work! If you are wondering about the model in the Youtube movie, here is the build log:

http://www.battletanksnederland.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5088

Also impressive work!

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 10:19:48 PM »
Hello everyone!
I have not posted anything lately but I have been busy.
Mostly working on mass producing wheels and hull parts, as well as getting a TBS Mini ordered.
Today I finished printing the final hull section, and with a bit of bondo got everything thrown together!
Below are some pictures of the now rolling hull.
Next up is to finalize the idler wheel mount, print the motor sled and get the return rollers figured out (one of which can be seen in the final picture).

Wish me luck!

Dean
IMAG0278.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0278.jpg
Views: 1289
IMAG0279.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0279.jpg
Views: 1167
IMAG0280.jpg
3D Printed T-35 IMAG0280.jpg
Views: 1182

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 10:49:22 PM »
I for one shall wish you luck. The model is coming along nicely and even looks like a tank, so you must know what you're doing!
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Dean Rauch

• View Profile
  • Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »
Thanks Luke, my main goal is to have something that roughly looks like a tank :P
I have mounted the motor and idler to one side, it moves! I will be posting a video when I have both sides running.

Offline Rain73

• View Profile
  • Connecticut USA
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 05:41:58 PM »
this tank is looking most excellent. The tracks came out super!

keep up the great work 8)

-Carl

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 04:33:19 AM »
Great work Dean, i checked the files you send and they could indeed be transformed to sheetmetal or aluminium sideplates. I will mock them up so they could be lasercut!

bomber-explosion