Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • Kansas, USA
Re: Home Build
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2019, 11:33:21 AM »
Hi Neil, I also used those cheap VNH2SP30 carrier boards when I was first testing. At some point the money you spend will equal what it would have cost you to just buy the Pololu Qik 2s12v10 which is very similar to the Scout! But then you wouldn't have the fun of coding and frying things.

The last version of the Rev 10 firmware can be found on this page (it's just a hex, use OP Config to flash it to your Arduino). You can also see the Rev 10 schematic on that page, which you will want to follow.

But, you can actually still use the code on GitHub, which will let you see how it all works. You just need to change the line at the top of the OpenPanzerScout.ino file, around line 30:

Code: [Select]
    // Motor Chip Selection
        const uint8_t MotorChipVersion =    2;          // 1 - VNH2SP30, used on Scout boards through Rev 10
                                                        // 2 - VNH5019,  used on Scout boards from    Rev 11

Set MotorChipVersion = 1 to revert to the VNH2SP30 version. In fact the only real difference is in the way it reads current draw since the two versions of the chips report it slightly differently.

Have fun testing and keep us posted on your results!
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 01:20:23 AM »
Wow, i just found a good source for the Polulu in Europe: https://www.tme.eu/nl/details/pololu-1112/modulaire-motorcontrollers/pololu/qik-2s12v10-dual-serial-motor-controller/# only 66 euro's if you buy three or more..
This even comes close to building my own scouts..
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline Ncartmell

• View Profile
  • Poulton-Le-Fylde, Lancashire. UK
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 04:12:23 PM »
Hello Luke,

Making slow progress, I have managed to modify the Instructables code to drive a Scout using USB.

Only basic Forward, Reverse, Left, Right, Speed Up/Down and LED's On/Off.

Enough so you can test the functionality without TCB and/or Servo Tester.

Hopefully I will then be able to get my Scout's working.

I have a rough idea what is wrong with each of them.

I have made a small Vero board interface adaptor with LED's so the TCB can work with the UNO/Motor Shield.

Now to modify your code.

On Github you have a main file and then some individual smaller files.

The main file seems incomplete without the others.

So do I need all the files?

If so how are they linked?

Sorry for the dumb questions, software was my weak point and the last time I did any coding was 1987.

The total cost for the UNO, Motor Shield and Vero board will be $10

It is interesting playing with these bits.

Best Regards

Neil

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • Kansas, USA
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 06:43:09 PM »
Browsing back through the last few posts, it seems as if you are trying to create your own Scout from off-the-shelf parts with a UNO as processor and some code you found on Instructables. It sounds as if you have gotten the Instructables code to work, and now you have whatever functionality it gives (apparently control from your computer), but obviously it does not have the functionality that would be found in the Scout code. Therefore it will not interface with the TCB. 

From your comments and questions I do think there is a large amount of basic programming knowledge that you would need to acquire first before it would be worth discussing specific firmware issues.

Does your Instructables project allow control via standard RC signals? If so, you might be able to use it with the TCB without any firmware changes since the TCB is also able to drive standard RC speed controllers, and you would have essentially built yourself a standard RC speed controller.

Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Ncartmell

• View Profile
  • Poulton-Le-Fylde, Lancashire. UK
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2019, 06:43:10 AM »
Hello Luke,

My plan was to only use the Modified Instructables code to test the UNO/Shield I have bought and also test the Scouts I made.

I also bought a Servo tester which proved the Scouts were faulty and not the Radio/TCB setup.

The Scouts perfom as expected with the Modified Instructables code.

My aim was to modify your code to work on the COTS UNO/Shield setup.

All I need to do is remove the Fan/Address/Thermistor sections from your code and re-allocate the pin assigments.

The pin assignment is done.

The code in GITHUB appears to have been split into different files and I assume needs putting back together into one file.

OpenPanzerScout.ino
FAN.ino
INPUT_RC.ino
INPUT_SERIAL.ino
SENSORS.ino
MOTOR.ino

If it works I will put the code in GITHUB (with your permission) so that other people who wish to use a SCOUT but cannot build one can go down the COTS route.

Best Regards

Neil

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • Kansas, USA
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2019, 02:09:36 PM »
Ok, it is more clear now. Yes I will be interested to hear if you can adapt the code for COTS use. If you do get it working, feel free to post it to GitHub, I will be interested to take a look at it. It may be possible to integrate the two versions into one with a flag being set to select which hardware it runs on (similar to the Rev 10 / Rev 11 flag).

Yes, the Arduino project is split into multiple files and no, they do not need to be combined.

The best way to edit the source is to clone the project from GitHub to your own computer, but if you are having challenges with Arduino 101 then I suspect it may not be worth learning the intricacies of GitHub of which even I am but a novice.

Alternatively just download the project (you can click the download button on the GitHub page, or go to the Open Panzer Downloads page and under the Scout Firmware section click "Download Zip"

Unzip the folder on your computer. At the root you will see two folders and some text files, for your purposes you only need the folder called "OpenPanzerScout." Copy that folder to your Arduino sketches directory (if you are unclear of where this is at, open Arduino, click the File menu, then Preferences, then look for the entry called "Sketchbook location").

After you copy that folder to your Sketches directory, double-click on any of the ".ino" files inside it and Arduino should open the project. Yes there are 7 distinct files, and Arduino will open all 7 and array them as tabs in your editor. Arduino knows to treat them as one project, but having multiple tabs is handy for organizing the code into various sections.
Open Panzer FAQs

bomber-explosion