Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Double-J

• View Profile
  • California
OP Config Display Settings
« on: July 08, 2017, 03:19:26 PM »
My laptop display's highest resolution is 1366x768.  When the OP Config program is open, some of the settings at the bottom of the screen are not accessible.  When the program is maximized, the settings don't show.  When I 'restore down' (not maximized) I can see them below the task bar but I am unable to slide the program window up on my screen.  The only 'grab' point on the program window is at the top which does not allow me the slide the program window up high enough to access the bottom stuff.  (See attachment) Is it possible to add a slide bar on the right side of the OP Config program so I can slide it up to access the fields at the bottom of the screen?
Thank you for all your hard work... this Open Panzer project is AWESOME!
DisplayProblem.JPG
OP Config Display Settings DisplayProblem.JPG
Views: 1307

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: OP Config Display Settings
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 04:21:39 PM »
My apologies DJ, this is kind of a known limitation of the way the application was built, it really can't be sized smaller than shown, it needs approximately 800 vertical pixels to display completely. Because it can't go any smaller than that, no scroll bar is going to appear - what you really need is a scroll bar on your Windows desktop, but of course that doesn't exist.

There are two possible fixes:
  • Try to change the scale of items on your screen - go to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display" and see if you can go any smaller.
  • It is possible to move a window up even without grabbing it from the top. Depending on your version of Windows, either right-click in the top part of the application window and select "Move", or hold down the "Shift" key while right-clicking the item in the taskbar, then select "Move". Now if you try to move with your mouse, you won't be able to get the window to go higher than the top of your screen, because that is all the higher your mouse will go. The secret trick is to not use your mouse, use your arrow keys instead. This will let you move the application window as far up as you want, right off the top of your screen.
Note you can also move your taskbar. Right now you have it on the bottom of the screen, which is the default, but you can move it over to the side or to the top as well. I think if you did that combined with trick #2 above you would have just enough room. It's easy to drag your taskbar back to the bottom of the screen when you're done.

I'm used to using a full size computer screen so some of these issues did not occur to me in development. Ideally we would want OP Config to be scaled dynamically to any screen size. But at this point re-writing it for that would be a pretty massive undertaking. In fact I've tried, and never quite figured out how to get Qt to do it. If anyone is familiar with Qt and want to give it a try, please do so!

Let me know how you get on. I'm going to add a link to this thread to the Troubleshooting guide, so if anyone else has suggestions please post them here.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Double-J

• View Profile
  • California
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 11:32:28 PM »
LukeZ, the only one that worked for me was moving the task bar.  That gave me just enugh room to be able to select the very bottom options.  Thank you! 
(When I used the move command with the arrow buttons it worked great until I moved my mouse to try and select a field.  It immediately reverted back to the mouse controlling the movement, which again wouldn't allow me to see or select bottom of the screen options.)

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »
You're right about using the arrow buttons, I tested moving the window off the top of the screen but not trying to keep it there! You're right, it won't stay.

I'm glad you've managed to get it working, and again I apologize for the hassle.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 07:08:47 AM »
Same problem here. I use a dedicated Thinkpad to program the TCB with also a resolution of 1366x768

Maybe this hurts but, maybe we could ditch the --OPEN PANZER "OP CONFIG"-- top bar?
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 03:49:33 PM »
Guys, I've posted a test version of OP Config. I've tried to tighten up some vertical elements and I've taken Johnny's suggestion about the header. You will see a small icon in the header area, if you click it the header will disappear completely and the total application window becomes less tall (see attached image).

You will have to download and install this test version directly, right click the link below and select "Save Link As" to download it to your computer:

Test version: OP Config Installer (EDIT: Removed, just check for updates from within OP Config)

On my display the application window shrinks very close to 768 pixels but Windows is slightly different across versions and display themes. You guys give it a try and let me know if it helps. After we've finalized these adjustments I'll post an official release.
Hide_Header.jpg
OP Config Display Settings Hide_Header.jpg
Views: 932
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline sergevk

• View Profile
  • Russia
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 04:06:56 PM »
I've tested new version - and now I can access to all elements, which earlier were out of screen. Luke, thank you!

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 08:01:51 PM »
I managed to remove another 12 pixels since my earlier post, when the header is hidden the entire application should fit completely within 768 pixels. I also put an option in the Tools menu if you want to restore the header after you hide it for whatever reason.

I've gone ahead and published a new release (v0.92.22) with this change. I'm going to edit my prior post and remove the temporary test version, just check for updates from within OP Config to download the update.

Thanks Johnny for the suggestion!
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 02:56:39 AM »
This now works great. All buttons visible and reachable.
I now use auto-hide on the taskbar. If the taskbar is moved to the side it works also, but i just cannot get used that setup as all my other pc's don't have it  ;D

Thanks for all the good work!
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 12:52:01 PM »
Glad to hear it, and I'm relieved we were able to fix this issue which has been nagging me for some time.
Open Panzer FAQs