Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Radio Not Ready
« on: May 18, 2021, 09:41:29 PM »
Hi all

I'm setting up a couple of OP TCBs for the first time and encountering a range of issues.  Help will be appreciated on any of the issues outlined below.

1a) Ports:
I tried to connect a TCB to a laptop running Windows 10.  No COM ports are showing / available. 
Question: What should I disable on the laptop so that I can see the relevant ports?

1b) Ports:
I tried a laptop running Windows 7.  COM3 and COM4 show up, but I can't connect to the TCB via either one. 
Then, occasionally (?) after plugging and re-plugging in the TCB and receiver, another Port appears (COM6 or COM7) and when I select one of these the laptop connects quickly to the TCB.  If I dither about then the COM6 / COM7 will disappear.
Question: What should I do to ensure that the relevant port is always displayed once the TCB is plugged in?

2) "Radio Not Ready" "The radio is not detected" (see attached file)
I've tried a few radios and receiver combinations using the Windows 7 laptop mentioned above (as soon as COM6 or COM7 manifest themselves).  These include a Taranis radio (with FrSky or Flysky rxs bound) and Jumper T12 (with FrSky, Flysky and Orange rxs bound).  I've tried the top row of pins and the bottom row of pins on the OP TCB and keep getting this error message after hitting the Read Radio button*. 
Question: What am I missing / doing wrong?

* Note that I did manage to read a friend's TGY-i6S radio, which is bound to a TGY-iA6C receiver, and can now drive his tank around.  Wires to the upper hull and turret and airsoft are broken so I will need to attend to these next, and there is no sound.  Since this Tx/Rx system is the only one that's working at the moment I'll persevere with that tank before I ask any more questions.  I realise I need to rewire the airsoft unit anyway so I'll follow that helpful video tutorial next, and any other advance tips would be welcome. 

All the best,
RCBM   

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Radio Not Ready
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 11:33:23 PM »
Hi RCBM, and welcome to the forum.

Ports:
OP Config has been tested and works on both Windows 7 and 10 so I think the operating system is not the problem. The most likely issue is the USB drivers. Have you installed the FTDI drivers on your computer(s)? Here is the page in the Wiki that describes the process you need to go through, for each TCB that you own.

Radio not detected:
You've identified that OP Config gives you a "radio not detected" message when you try to run through Radio Setup. However the problem is almost certainly upstream from OP Config. First the TCB board itself needs to be able to read the radio signals from the receiver before it can pass them on to OP Config. So let us focus on that part first. The red and green LEDs on the TCB will flash rapidly if it is unable to read the receiver. Once it can read a receiver, the lights will quit flashing (and go on to indicate other things in normal operation). If your board is giving you the flashing light routine, then the TCB itself has yet to read the receiver and therefore it will be fruitless to try getting OP Config to display the channel data. So in your case, are you getting these flashing lights?

Encouragingly you have been able to get your friend's receiver to work, so we know the board is functioning correctly. Now the question is, what specific model of receiver are you trying to use that does not work? It sounds like you've tried a lot, but pick your favorite from the bunch and let me know what model number it is. Once we know that we will know whether to put it in the top or bottom slot on the TCB, this should not be a guessing game but something we do deliberately. We will also be able then to look at the receiver's documentation and see what is required to make sure it outputs a PPM, SBus or iBus signal, and on what output.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 11:30:07 PM »
Thanks LukeZ, I appreciate the quick reply.

Apologies for not picking up earlier via the Wiki that its necessary to install a driver for each TCB. So, I installed the driver for this TCB as per your Wiki link. Now, I can reliably connect the TCB without issues, and the red light is solid and the green is blinking slowly. But I'm still getting the 'Radio Not Ready' / 'The radio is not detected!' message with the following receivers (each bound to my Jumper T12, which is my preferred Tx):

- FrSky V8FR-II. 
It appears this Rx outputs PWM.   
Since the OP Wiki page only lists PPM, SBus and iBus options I'll assume this Rx is never going to work with the TCB.

- ORX R920X (Version 2). 
The sticker on the back states s.Bus.
OP Wiki page suggests Orange SBus receivers "Should work, but not tested."

- Turnigy 9X 8Cv2.
I understand this outputs PPM.
OP Wiki page suggests there's only one Rx that will work with the original FlySky / Turnigy AFHDS receivers, and this is not the one (iRangeX 6CH).

- Spektrum AR636A.
I understand this outputs PPM.
OP Wiki page suggests Orange SBus receivers "Should work, but not tested."

I read you loud and clear that this should ideally not be a guessing game but, in case my information on the receivers' outputs is incorrect, I did try the top and bottom rows of pins, each time powering up the radio first, then plugging the TCB into the laptop.

If you agree that the above listed receivers will never work I presume I've got to buy a couple that will ultimately work (ideally compatible with my T12).

I look forward to seeing your advice. Thanks in advance.

RCBM

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 07:23:14 AM »
Hi,
ORX R920X V2 is the only one that could work ..
SBus out is the BIND connection - look at the instruction manual:
https://cdn-global-hk.hobbyking.com/media/file/950180511X893272X24.pdf

If you use the Jumper T12 with Multiprotocoll-Module
i recommend FrSky XM/ XM Plus S.bus Receiver .

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 07:26:44 PM »
ORX R920X V2 is the only one that could work ..
SBus out is the BIND connection

Thank you!  Just tried this and managed to get OP Config to read the radio. Much appreciated.
RCBM

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 10:43:17 PM »
Hi RCBM, sorry for the slow reply, and it sounds like you have figured things out in the meantime with the help of Jurgen so that's great.

Just for completeness I'll respond to your earlier post.

The solid red and blinking green LED that you described is to indicate that you have placed the board in the special state of communication with OP Config. But to check the connectivity with the receiver that I was talking about, you need to be in normal operation mode, ie, not connected to OP Config. If you want you can remain connected to your computer but just don't "Connect" to OP Config (you can open a Snoop connection if you want, that is a listen-only mode). Or just leave the computer completely out of the equation. Then when you attach a receiver and apply power you can see if the red and green LEDs blink quickly or not. If they do, that lets you know the TCB has not recognized your receiver.

Jurgen was also correct - of the four receivers you listed only the ORX R920X V2 is compatible, which you have now confirmed. The other three are PWM only (not to be confused with PPM, which the TCB can read). PWM receivers have one output per channel; this is the classic style that has been around for decades. But the TCB requires a receiver that combines (or at least has the option to combine) all channels into a single signal - as the Wiki says, this will be PPM, SBus, or iBus which are the three main industry standards in use today. (Some manufactures use the term CPPM instead of PPM, but it's the same thing).

The range of choice you have for receivers is really dependent on what communication protocol you're using - by this I mean, what protocol is used between the transmitter and the receiver (and which is completely different and unrelated to the protocol from the receiver to the TCB). It sounds like you are using a Spektrum module in your Jumper TX. Spektrum is one of those companies that likes to do things their own way. Some people like their transmitters and if that's what you have then you're stuck with their ecosystem, and they don't seem very keen on releasing affordable receivers with these modern protocols (hence why the Chinese are selling Orange receivers like hotcakes). But if you're going to use a module-based transmitter like the Jumper, then you're free to do whatever you want. An FrSky module or Multi-Protocol module as Jurgen suggested will give you lots more options in the receiver department.

But what you have now certainly works, so no need to change it! You can buy more Orange receivers and you're good to go.

NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs