Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
Issues with adjusting servo pan on elevation
« on: March 16, 2021, 08:08:48 PM »
Hi folks.
Just tried to adjust the end points on the gun elevation and went through the dip switch 3 and 4 to on held the input button for 2 secs and off went the servo to one end point, all ok, then moved it to where i wanted it all ok then moved over to alter the other end point the servo moved to this end point BUT i could not adjust it like the first end point it just would not move, any one had this before ?  Or am i missing some thing ?.
I came back out after pressing the input button again and still had full pan effect on the servo...weird..
Regards
Sub.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Issues with adjusting servo pan on elevation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 09:47:41 PM »
Hi Sub, I agree that is weird. I just did a test here and didn't have a problem.

It is fair to say the adjustment procedure can be a little bit confusing, what with moving sticks this way and that. It is possible to adjust the end-point all the way to the center and then maybe forget which stick movement adjusts it back out (I have done this myself) and it will seem like the servo is stuck at center, at least on one side. Maybe this is what happened, maybe not.

I would suggest you try the setup again, I suspect it will work. Another thing you can do is run through this routine while connected to OP Config with a Snoop connection open. You will see some messages during the process and it will also show you what the end points are, both when you first enter the menu and again when you exit the menu, so you can see exactly what your adjustments were. This may help you figure out what is happening.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Sub

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 07:20:50 PM »
Hi Luke.
Many, many thx for getting back to me so  quickly, your continued support IS  greatly appreciated.
I have managed to achieve what i needed to do thx to your excellent advice, i was using a Spektrum radio and some of the adjustment ranges are not visible on the computer screen unless you go into the sub menues and i found that a Sub Trim had been altered giving the servo more throw one way than the other plus the servo movement was only small and i think it was as you mentioned , anyway all is well.

If i may beg your indulgence further, i am sure i have read somewhere that you can use the 2 IO  ports A and B to illuminated small LEDS  on blink  mode for left and right turn indicators when triggered by the tank steering,  i have tried some settings but only have the LEDS constantly illuminated when the TCB is powered up, do you happen to know the trigger / function settings that i need to input to achieve this, or am i  " away with the fairy's on this idea "

Kind regards
Sub.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 01:49:48 AM »
Very good, I'm glad you got it working. It's true, when the travel is small it is hard to see what we're doing, that is why I used a big huge red needle to make the example videos. :)

If i may beg your indulgence further, i am sure i have read somewhere that you can use the 2 IO  ports A and B to illuminated small LEDS  on blink  mode for left and right turn indicators when triggered by the tank steering,  i have tried some settings but only have the LEDS constantly illuminated when the TCB is powered up, do you happen to know the trigger / function settings that i need to input to achieve this, or am i  " away with the fairy's on this idea "
Yes this is possible, you are not off with the fairies! First, on the Lights & I/O tab, set the A&B ports to "Output" and probably you will want to change the types to "Default Low" (meaning, they will be off by default). If you are using a transistor that inverts the logic you might need to switch this to "Default High" but for basic LEDs you should not need any transistors (the ports can supply up to 40 mA each, which is enough for two standard LEDs on each port). You can adjust the blink on and off times as well if you want or leave them at the default of 650mS.

Then, on the Functions tab, select the blink function for the outputs under the Functions drop down, for example "External Output A - Blink." Then assign it to the trigger source "Right Turn" (or left). There will be no Trigger Action associated with this, so just click the Add button then do the other output for Left Turn.

Now write the settings to your TCB and voila, you should have turn signals.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Sub

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 11:49:48 AM »
Hi Luke.
I did everything like you described, which is what i had inputed previusly into the TCB and all i get is a constantly lit LED no settings appear to change it.
I connected to snoop and ran through the left and right throttle turns and the snoop read out stated left and right ports A and B were blinking......but the single LED  i had fitted was constant ????.
I was using a high bright led with a resistor in line so then tried a low power led with no resistor and the same result a constant lit LED.. I am now baffled.
Heres a pic of my snoop screen showing the read out.
20210319_163313_resized.jpg
Issues with adjusting servo pan on elevation 20210319_163313_resized.jpg
Views: 1157

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 02:35:50 PM »
Hi Sub, I've just tested it again on my side and the blinking works, so I wonder if maybe you have a wiring issue.

There are three pins available on each I/O port, but for outputs you will only use 2 of them. You want to connect your LEDs to the ground pin (nearest the board edge) and the signal pin (nearest the board center). The middle pin will remain unused. Connect the cathode (negative terminal) of your LED to the negative pin of the port, and connect the anode (positive terminal) of your LED to the signal pin.

I also failed to mention, that in addition to assigning the Blink function when you turn, you will also have to assign the "Turn Off" function to the "Turn Stopped" trigger otherwise the light will not stop blinking even when you are done turning. So in total you will need to create 4 function-trigger pairs (see the attachment below).

Let me know what happens!
BlinkIO.jpg
Issues with adjusting servo pan on elevation BlinkIO.jpg
Views: 432
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Sub

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »
Hi Luke.
I think you may have found the issue, i was using 2 pins but it was neg and pos of the 3 pins and leaving the signal free.

I will try again using the neg and signal as positive and leaving the middle pin free.

I was wondering about a stop command after initiating the turn command.

I will try it again tomorrow, hopefully we have found the error.

Thx once again.
Sub.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 08:16:18 PM »
Ok, good to know. I'm certain that is the issue and you will get it to work when you change pins.

I realized I didn't have a description of this in the Wiki so I've added a little schematic diagram to the I/O Ports page so hopefully others in the future will not find themselves with the same problem.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Sub

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 04:18:59 PM »
Hi Luke.
I changed the pins around to the LEDS and added the stop commands and everything now works correctly.
 :)
Thank you for your patience and support.
Sub.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 06:47:30 PM »
No problem! It's very gratifying to me when others have success with the board.
Open Panzer FAQs