Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Installing OPConfig error
« on: February 13, 2017, 11:23:36 AM »
I have problems installing/updating OPConfig. So far I have tried Run as Admin, granting permissions, but so far no luck updating or installing. I was able to install v0.9.22 without any errors when it was released.
Error when updating (OPConfig Error.jpg)

Redownloaded the .EXE several times to make sure the file wasn't corrupt or something like that.
Error when using admin rights on the EXE to update existing install (OPConfig Error 2.jpg).

Previous version de-installed with Windows programs. Scanned the registry for any entries that may have been left behind with CCleaner. Afterwards rebooted and tried to install again. And still the error remains.
Error when using the .EXE with Admin rights with previous version de-installed. (OPConfig Error 3.jpg)

Program was installed on a separate internal hard disk called (D:\).

Question: Do you have to install the program with an .EXE installer in order to use it? Or can you extract it with a .ZIP (if it could be packaged this way)?
OPConfig Error.JPG
Installing OPConfig error OPConfig Error.JPG
Views: 1313
OPConfig Error 2.JPG
Installing OPConfig error OPConfig Error 2.JPG
Views: 1226
OPConfig Error 3.JPG
Installing OPConfig error OPConfig Error 3.JPG
Views: 1155
*JagdTiger 88mm PAK 43 [IN PROGRESS]
*128mm PAK 44 JagdSturmTiger [IN PROGRESS]
*SdKfz 251/22 Ausf D Pakwagen [IN PROGRESS]
*Panther II [IN PROGRESS]
*Leopard 2A6

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Installing OPConfig error
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 11:39:51 AM »
Here is a copy of my earlier response in the RCU thread in case others see only this one:
Quote from: LukeZ
In the meantime, this error simply states that your computer is failing to remove the existing version, and until it does, obviously it won't let you overwrite it with the new version. This could be a permission issue, and I see you've tried running as an administrator. However even an administrator doesn't have permission to overwrite a file that the administrator has open. Perhaps you have the exe running under another login, or else Windows thinks you do. Rebooting will fix this. Are you able to rename OPConfig.exe to something else like OPConfig.old? If so the installer should work.

You may want to try uninstalling the existing version yourself (rather than letting the auto-installer do it), by going to Programs and Features, select OP Config from the list, and uninstall. Then download the new version of OP Config from the downloads page and install it manually (by double-clicking the exe). The auto-installer that you can launch from within OP Config needs to close OP Config before it can complete the installation procedure, but perhaps it isn't running with sufficient privileges to do so.

There may be other things we can check but like I say, if this doesn't resolve it please start a thread in the Open Panzer forums.

Now to respond specifically to your post here - your attempt #3 should not happen since of course there is no file to delete, you have already removed the program. The fact you are getting the third error that says it can't rename a file in the installation directory, when that directory doesn't even exist, suggests an issue outside of OP Config.

If you Google this you will find many instances of people encountering this problem for various softwares. The issue almost always has to do with an antivirus program, such as McAfee, BitDefender or others that are blocking the installation. Do you have any of these programs installed and running? If so I would disable them and try the install again. If you are running McAfee see this post for a possible solution.

It may be possible to provide a Zip install, I have not considered that before. Let me explore it further. Some things would not work such as file associations but that may not be a big deal. I will have to think about it, in the meantime let's try solving this issue.

Luke

NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
I was finally able to install it. It seems the HIPS feature (Host Intrusion Protection System) from Comodo Firewall was the culprit. I find this a bit weird, since the very first installation of OPConfig v0.9.22 went without a hitch. Thank you for your replies!
*JagdTiger 88mm PAK 43 [IN PROGRESS]
*128mm PAK 44 JagdSturmTiger [IN PROGRESS]
*SdKfz 251/22 Ausf D Pakwagen [IN PROGRESS]
*Panther II [IN PROGRESS]
*Leopard 2A6

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 02:05:05 PM »
Great! I'm glad that's all it was. And thanks for posting this thread, hopefully it will help others with a similar issue.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline vandborg

• View Profile
  • Denmark
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 05:47:47 AM »
Avast Antivirus does also make problems when starting the program. But now they have checked the file and all is ok now.
Regards

Torben
Member of Panzerteam Denmark
http://www.panzerteam.dk/

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 10:38:31 AM »
Thanks for the update, this will be useful to others. I've added an entry on the Troubleshooting page about this.
Open Panzer FAQs