Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Motor speed issue.
« on: August 01, 2020, 05:10:26 AM »
Hello everybody. I have a background in scale modelling but i am completely new in RC Hobby.
Currently i have a Heng Long Panhter G with OPTCB, X-car 45a Esc's, Benedini Mini V2, Taigen 4:1 Gearbox, Turnigy 4000 mah 2cell battery and a FLysky transmitter/Reciever.

My issue is that when i go forward, backwards, left, right - one of the motors runs slower than the other, or if i run forward right motor spins correctly and *healthy* but the left one spins backwards and much slower +- 50% slower.

Photos that i attach are a bit old, i managed to connect everything without the turret, and changed the old HL gearboxes.

Re: Motor speed issue.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 05:16:28 AM »
I forgot to add that i measured the voltage on the motors. Left motor has 50% less voltage than the right one, for example when i go forward.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 05:43:48 AM »
By default the TCB limits reverse driving speed (this can be changed in OP Config, but that is the default behavior). What you describe sounds exactly like one gearbox is running in reverse when you are expecting it to go forward.

Almost certainly this is simply an issue with how you set up the radio. You should run Radio Setup again in OP Config, and pay careful attention to the throttle and steering channels. Make sure that when you move your transmitter stick during Radio Setup that OP Config accurately reflects the direction you are moving the stick. If it doesn't, then reverse a channel in OP Config until it does.

After that, you will probably find that your tank does not move in the correct direction when you move the transmitter sticks. So now you need to swap the motor +/- wires to the ESC until it does.

NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 09:39:54 AM »
Thank you LukeZ, i will try my best!

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 03:38:32 PM »
I just ran the Radio Setup one more time, all transmitter sticks do what they suposed to do and the right motor corresponds to them. I swaped the +- on the left motor and it runs in the right dirrection, but it runs slower than the right one, same 50% slower.  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 03:51:03 PM »
That's strange, but I'm sure we will find it to be something very simple in the end.

Can you make sure you have both ESCs set to "crawler" mode? See here for instructions.

As a test can you also set the reverse speed limit to 100% and see if that makes any difference? Setting is on the Driving tab of OP Config.

It would also be good to connect to OP Config with Snoop and watch the console window as you move the sticks, to make sure the debugging messages really do correspond with what you command (it says forward when you move forward, it says right and left turn when you right and left turn, etc...) For this test it is not important what the tank does - it is just important that the Snoop messages match what you command it to do.

Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 04:17:29 PM »
I've tried setting the ESCs in crawler mode. Same result.
Ive changed the reverse setting to from 70 to 100%. Same result.
And i've connected to OP Config with Snoop and it does what it does but the left motor speed remains the same.
I've changed motors with place, same effect.
I've ran it directly without the Benedini.

Could it be a fault ESC?  :'(

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 12:55:52 AM »
It coult be a fault Motor.
Did you swap the Motors from left to right side?

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 01:42:18 AM »
Yes I have swaped motors. Old HL motors have the same issue.
I measured the voltage coming from the left ESC and it is less than the right one's. :-\

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 06:51:45 AM »
What we need to do is determine if the problem is:
A) faulty ESC
B) or perhaps for some reason that ESC is being given a slower signal

Instead of swapping the motors, try swapping the ESC servo wires on the TCB (swap RC Output 1 and 2). If the left ESC is still slower, that would indicate a problem with the ESC. But if now the right ESC is slower, that would indicate a problem with the signal.

Can you also post your OPZ file for me to examine? (In OP Config, open the File menu and select "Save Settings to File")
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 01:50:06 PM »
I have swapped the ESC servo wires on the TCB. The left motor is still slower.

OldHammer_PG.opz
(23.63 kB ~ Downloads: 216)

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 02:05:32 PM »
I ve changed wires with place and it remained the same, i mean the left ESC controls the left motor and the right one controls the right one.

I ve swaped the Prop1 and Prop2 on TCB, still the same problem...
screenshot_91.png
Motor speed issue. screenshot_91.png
Views: 928

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 04:04:20 PM »
If I understand correctly, it sounds like the left ESC is always slower no matter what RC channel it is connected to. To me this would eliminate the TCB as the source of the problem. If you really want to be sure, you could just try connecting that speed controller directly to your RC receiver (skip the TCB entirely) and see if it still moves slower than expected.

I have not heard of a faulty XCar-45 speed control before, but there is a first time for everything. I think you need to try a new speed control.

(PS: I don't see anything unusual with your OPZ file, but thanks for posting it.)
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 01:30:58 AM »
Connecting the ESC dirrectly into the receiver, i have not tried that yet. Thank you for so quick answers!  ;D

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 04:42:50 AM »
I've found a similar ESC on amazon.de
It seems to be the same from hobbyking. What do you think?
IMG_20200803_113928.png
Motor speed issue. IMG_20200803_113928.png
Views: 855
IMG_20200803_113836.png
Motor speed issue. IMG_20200803_113836.png
Views: 429