Offline vonTirpitz

• Panzer, vorw√§rts!
    • View Profile
  • Wilmington NC
Open Source Sound Files
« on: February 02, 2017, 12:16:20 PM »
I'm noticing that finding a good collection of sound files that are located all in one place is proving to be difficult. 

Unless I've missed something very obvious what do you think of the possibility of starting a collection of non-copyrighted materials on the GitHub repository under the Open Panzer project?  While I am unsure whom would be interested, I certainly would like a centralized locale for all those amazing recordings that are just floating around on hard drives.  Plus it would save a ton of time trying to locate good files to work with.  Maybe we could find a sound engineer "volunteer" to go to Bovington in April to get some decent recordings on Tiger Day 2017.   ;D

Setting up a sub-categorized section (perhaps searchable) with all of the common sound types for the hobby such as engines, mechanical, gunfire and explosions would be ideal.  I would recommend a minimum requirement for quality such as uncompressed .wav 16-bit 44.1kHz.

Any thoughts?  Perhaps if it takes off we could solicit members on some of the RC forums to contribute what they may have in their private libraries.  Just a hope I suppose...  :P

-Marc

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."

-LT

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • Kansas, USA
Re: Open Source Sound Files
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:48:16 PM »
I agree with you absolutely that a repository of freely-available sound files is a necessity. I have given this some thought several times and although I haven't initiated anything yet I do think Open Panzer is the logical place for it. I have grappled with the best way to host them, my initial thought was to create another page similar to the existing Downloads page but just for sounds. The idea of using GitHub hadn't crossed my mind but now you mention it that is a good idea.

I am still new to GitHub myself. I'm comfortable posting but I haven't really experimented with pull requests or the community involvement side of things. But this could be a good learning experience for us all. And it might be less maintenance work in the long run than a static page.

For now I've created a repo with some empty folders: OpenPanzerProject/Sound-Files

Build it and they will come! :) Or so I hope. Let's use this thread for ongoing discussion.

NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
Open Panzer FAQs