Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
A&B motor outputs dead
« on: September 21, 2019, 03:37:09 PM »
Hi Luke,

I am having difficulty getting the turret elev, and rotation motors to work on my King Tiger. 

Tank specs:
Taigen brand gearboxes w/sabertooth 2x5a
Sbus receiver Frsky XSR and 9x radio with XJT module
NiMh battery
Stock Taigen elev/rot motors
Taigen airsoft cannon
Taigen sound card
Smoker unplugged
IR mushroom receptacle\IR emitter
OPTCB Dip Sw: Off/Off/On/On/On
Fight/repair sw to fight

The elevation and turret motors test okay with 7.2v battery
Wiring is tested okay

Noticed these anomalies:

1) When in snoop mode, even though radio is calibrated per instructions the elevation (ch3) and rotation (ch4) channel calibration per snoop is off a bit:  low was calibrated to 989, but snoop shows 1024, and high was calibrated to 2012 but snoop shows 1976.  The throttle and turn channels calibrated and snoop agree. 
2) When engine/transmission is disengaged and operating the stick for elevation or rotation results in no sound for either.  Which is counter to other tanks.  When engine/transmission is engaged, I get sound but no output to the elevation nor rotation motors. 

I measure 0.165 volts on DC scale at the outputs of either A or B motor output, regardless of stick position.

All other functions seem to operate okay.

The last flash operation I performed was the DIY hex load to my arduino mega, last week....which seemed to go okay.

This has to be something simple I've overlooked?  this TCB was just moved from my StugIIIG to the King Tiger but worked okay previous to this move. 

Am I missing something obvious?

As a side note, and if you want I'll put it into a different topic, I now get an error when updating to the new OPConfig.  It says: Shell execute Code 299.  Only part of ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory was completed.  It comes up temporarily after Windows tries to block the program, and you have to tell it that it is okay.  The OPConfig execute file then loads it all up okay. 

I don't know if this is part of the issue??  I would attach the .opz file, but alas, this program can't access .opz files for some reason....is there a trick I must have forgotten?

Thanks, Jerry

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: A&B motor outputs dead
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 05:30:50 PM »
1) When in snoop mode, even though radio is calibrated per instructions the elevation (ch3) and rotation (ch4) channel calibration per snoop is off a bit:  low was calibrated to 989, but snoop shows 1024, and high was calibrated to 2012 but snoop shows 1976.  The throttle and turn channels calibrated and snoop agree.
From this I can deduce you have some turret stick triggers assigned. In those cases, the last 35 points of travel are reserved for triggering the corner/end functions, and that matches exactly what you are seeing. If you move the turret stick all the way to the end, the turret motors won't move, but instead the TCB will trigger whatever function you have assigned to that extreme (even if at a particular extreme you have nothing defined, the TCB will still reserve those extremes for triggers). So if you are just jamming your turret stick all the way to the end, you won't see movement of the turret motors. This might make it appear the outputs aren't working.

Note also that when any turret stick triggers are defined, there is also a delay (defined on the Funtions tab) that can make it seem like your turret motors aren't responding because the TCB waits the user-defined length of time before moving the turret.

Try moving your turret stick about halfway and holding it there for several moments. Or remove the delay and/or remove any turret stick triggers (just as a test, you can still use them in normal operation).

2) When engine/transmission is disengaged and operating the stick for elevation or rotation results in no sound for either.  Which is counter to other tanks.  When engine/transmission is engaged, I get sound but no output to the elevation nor rotation motors.

I measure 0.165 volts on DC scale at the outputs of either A or B motor output, regardless of stick position.
You should get both turret motor movement and turret sounds regardless of the engine state. The issue may again be the above.

The last flash operation I performed was the DIY hex load to my arduino mega, last week....which seemed to go okay.
This statement is a little confusing. You should not be using the DIY hex on a commercial TCB. On the other hand, if you are experimenting with a DIY TCB, there is no turret motor output per se, unless you add extra circuitry.

As a side note, and if you want I'll put it into a different topic, I now get an error when updating to the new OPConfig.  It says: Shell execute Code 299.  Only part of ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory was completed.  It comes up temporarily after Windows tries to block the program, and you have to tell it that it is okay.  The OPConfig execute file then loads it all up okay.
What version of Windows are you using? This sounds most likely like some kind of Windows security check, but not an actual error since OP Config then installs and runs correctly. I will try to reproduce on my end but I will need to try on the same version of Windows.

I would attach the .opz file, but alas, this program can't access .opz files for some reason....is there a trick I must have forgotten?
If by "this program" you mean the forum website, just click on the "Attachments and other options" link below the area where you write your post. Then attach your OPZ file.

NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 07:29:00 PM »
Thank you for the quick reply Luke.

Alas, no turret movement even by holding the stick at 1/2 mast....it simply is not responding.  I've tried reset (simply hitting reset button?) which solved nothing.  I've re-flashed the board several times too.  Your explanation on the turret triggers makes sense, which I usually have my turret stick set to less than 100 percent to avoid accidental triggering.  I've re-read the radio several times too, to ensure it was reading it okay. 

I agree that I should have turret sounds regardless of engine state, which is perplexing.

The reason I mentioned the arduino DIY hex, is that it was the last flash I had done, suspecting that OPConfig is using that file rather than the latest for a 'real' TCB, even though it 'says' it is selecting the correct hex file.

Windows 10 ;Winver is 1903; build 18362.356 if that means or helps...it updates automatically anymore.

As for the file attachment, I did the 'choose file' below the text box, and can go to the folder location "c:\programfiles(x86)\openpanzer\opconfig" and it shows .dll, .exe, and other files, but the .opz files do not show...hidden??  In OPConfig, of course they show up, which is curious.....

Jerry

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 07:38:38 PM »
fyi here is snoop:

Radio Ready - SBus

---------------------------------------------
FIRMWARE VERSION: 0.93.61 (EEPROM Size: 480)

RADIO INFO - SBus
Stick       Min    Center   Max    Deadband  Reversed
Throttle    989    1500     2012    25        FALSE
Turn        989    1502     2012    25        FALSE
Elevation  1024    1500     1976    25        FALSE
Azimuth    1023    1500     1976    25        FALSE

Aux Chan.   Min     Max     Type
1           988     2012    Digital
2           988     2012    Digital
3           988     2012    Analog
4           988     2012    Digital
5           880     1500    Analog
6           880     1500    Analog
7           880     1500    Analog
8           880     1500    Analog
9           880     1500    Analog
10          880     1500    Analog
11          880     1500    Analog
12          880     1500    Analog
Channels detected: 16
Channels utilized: 16

MOTOR TYPES
Drive Motors:      Sabertooth Serial
Turret Rotation:   Onboard Motor Driver (A)
Barrel Elevation:  Onboard Motor Driver (B)
Mechanical Barrel: Airsoft (Disabled)

DRIVE SETTINGS
Vehicle Type:           Tank
Active Driving Profile: 1
Accel Ramp Enabled:     No
Decel Ramp Enabled:     No
Motor Nudge Enabled:    No
Forward Speed Limited:  No
Reverse Speed Limited:  Yes - 50%
Transmission Type:      Automatic
Shift Time:             0.0 sec
Engine Pause Time:      0.0 sec
Transmission Delay:     0.0 sec
Neutral Turn Allowed:   No
Turn Mode:              2
Track Recoil Enabled:   Yes (Kickback speed 40%, Deceleration factor 30)

TURRET SETTINGS
Turret Rotation Speed Limited:  No
Barrel Elevation Speed Limited: No
Recoil delay:                   No

SMOKER
Smoker Type:          Combined Heat & Fan
Pre-heat delay:       N/A
Fan idle speed:       70%    Heat: Same as fan
Fan fast idle speed:  100%   Heat: Same as fan
Fan max speed:        100%   Heat: Same as fan
Smoke when destroyed: 100%

BATTLE INFO
Is Repair Tank?   No
Fire Protocol:    Tamiya
Hit Protocol 2:   Taigen V1
Repaired by:      IBU Repair
Send MG IR Code:  No
Accept MG Damage: No
Damage Profile:   Tamiya Spec
Weight Class:     Heavy
(9 cannon hits, 9.0 sec reload, 10.0 sec recovery)

SOUND CARD
Sound card: Taigen Sound Card

FUNCTION TRIGGERS
Turret stick functions: Yes
Turret movement delay:  0.35 sec
Turret Stick - Top Left       -> Function #1   - Engine - Toggle On/Off
Turret Stick - Top Right      -> Function #7   - Cannon Fire
Turret Stick - Bottom Right   -> Function #16  - Light 1 (Headlights) - Toggle On/Off
Turret Stick - Bottom Left    -> Function #84  - Smoker - Toggle
Aux Channel  2 - Pos 2 (of 2) -> Function #11  - Machine Gun - Fire
Aux Channel  2 - Pos 1 (of 2) -> Function #12  - Machine Gun - Stop
Aux Channel  3 - Variable     -> Function #56  - RC Output 2 - Pass-through
Aux Channel  1 - Pos 2 (of 2) -> Function #13  - Airsoft/Mech Recoil - Enable
Aux Channel  1 - Pos 1 (of 2) -> Function #14  - Airsoft/Mech Recoil - Disable

BATTERY

Battery Detected: No
LVC Enabled:      No

BAUD RATES
USB Serial Baud:   115200
Motor Serial Baud: 38400
Aux Serial Baud:   115200
Serial 3 Tx Baud:  38400

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 12:09:04 AM »
Alas, no turret movement even by holding the stick at 1/2 mast....it simply is not responding.  I've tried reset (simply hitting reset button?) which solved nothing.  I've re-flashed the board several times too.  Your explanation on the turret triggers makes sense, which I usually have my turret stick set to less than 100 percent to avoid accidental triggering.  I've re-read the radio several times too, to ensure it was reading it okay.
You should not adjust your turret channel end points on your transmitter! Leave them at 100% and let the TCB handle all that, otherwise you will just be introducing more problems.

For now try my other suggestion: remove your four turret function triggers to eliminate that complication completely for now. Now you will be able to move your turret stick all the way to one corner and see if the turret motors move.

If that doesn't work, if possible swap that TCB out for another one but use the same settings from the "faulty" TCB and see if your turret motors work on the second TCB. It's possible, but unlikely, there could be a hardware problem and this test would inform us to that regard.

The reason I mentioned the arduino DIY hex, is that it was the last flash I had done, suspecting that OPConfig is using that file rather than the latest for a 'real' TCB, even though it 'says' it is selecting the correct hex file.
If you select "Get Latest Release" in OP Config it will use the latest release from the web and not the DIY one from previously. But in any case you only need to flash firmware if a new update has been released, once you have the firmware on your TCB you don't need to update again so you shouldn't even need to mess with that. Even when a new release is issued it's not mandatory to flash it unless you need whatever new functionality is added. Certainly you don't need to flash every time you connect (read and write settings - sure, but not firmware flash).

As for the file attachment, I did the 'choose file' below the text box, and can go to the folder location "c:\programfiles(x86)\openpanzer\opconfig" and it shows .dll, .exe, and other files, but the .opz files do not show...hidden??  In OPConfig, of course they show up, which is curious.....
OPZ files are something you have to save yourself. Open OP Config, read your settings from the TCB, then in OP Config click on the "File" menu and select "Save Settings to File." It will prompt you for any location on your computer that you want, and then when you click save an OPZ file will be created at that spot.

Windows 10 ;Winver is 1903; build 18362.356 if that means or helps...it updates automatically anymore.
Ok, I have a Win10 computer and I will see if I can reproduce the message you saw. I am out most of tomorrow (Sunday) but I will check this early next week. But in any event I do not think it is related to the turret motor issue.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 03:40:29 PM »
Hi Luke, 

Well did some more testing....good and bad news:

I took down my trusty Panther, nearly identical to the KT.  Tested it before doing anything to ensure all was working okay still and with the KT settings in the xmtr, still okay (I use the same transmitter on all my German tanks with Sbus).

So I tried to load the KT.opz file into the Panther board, but a required firmware update was needed before I could do that...must have at least version 60, and I had version 48 on the Panther.  So I loaded in version 61, the latest dated 9-04-19.  I noted after the firmware update, the snoop showed different radio settings, and other things so I loaded settings for the KT into the panther, which it loaded up as usual.  Snoop verified what I expected the settings would be.

I turned on the battery switch, with radio on to KT settings on xmtr, started tank and no elevation nor rotation on turret.  Changed to Panther settings on xmtr, ditto. This duplicates the King Tiger board.  So apparently something is up with the latest firmware update?  Good for me as no apparent hardware issues, so I am glad about that.  Now two tanks out of commission.....Since you tested the latest firmware on yours, perhaps that windows message is doing something weird on my computer? 

Thanks for the help...let me know if you have further ideas....

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 05:54:33 PM by Lotuswins »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 10:55:17 PM »
Ok, it looks like a bug might have been introduced just two weeks ago. I've posted a new version (0.93.62), in OP Config select "Get Latest Release" and re-flash your TCB and see if that fixes it. 
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 12:35:55 AM »
Hi Luke,

I just noticed the new version when trying to load an older one to isolate when the bug came in.  So I flashed the new one in, and that did it...all is back to normal!! 

thanks so much,

Jerry

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 11:47:17 AM »
Great! Thanks for letting me know, and thanks for pointing out this problem.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 05:32:19 PM »
I forgot to report back on the Windows 10 thing. I did a clean install on a Windows 10 machine and I didn't get the shell error message you did. I did get a notification from the OS that this program is from an unknown publisher, and did I really want to continue This is to be expected, Microsoft doesn't recognize small fish such as myself. But after I said "install anyway" it went ahead and installed the program without issue.

I'm not sure why you got the message you did, but since you were able to install OP Config just fine in the end, and it works as expected, I think we can just chalk this up to a quirk of Windows rather than an actual error with the OP Config program.

But do let me know if you encounter any other problems.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 04:30:22 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me on that, and glad it didn't pop up on yours....good old Windows.....Ha!   jerry