Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
Sherman R975 Sounds
« on: May 12, 2019, 08:19:33 AM »
This is the tank that is running the TCB.

In order to not to derrail the other thread with the Tiger sounds, I decided to create my own thread, to upload my beta sounds, and to update/improve/modify them after reading your feedback. I will update the thread with my eepesky file, but my radio is so modded that I highly doubt somebody will use it...

First link with the new sounds, legacy sounds and OP config file: Warning, steering reversed in the config file.
https://github.com/OpenPanzerProject/Sound-Files/blob/master/SoundSets/OpenPanzerSoundCard/Sherman_R975.zip

Second link with user sounds bank.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ag10Kxs8SgAKlVkHLxWJU2_NETRo

Hope you enjoy them.  :)

da81b063-e670-4a77-9921-16da4b17ff22.jpg
Sherman R975 Sounds da81b063-e670-4a77-9921-16da4b17ff22.jpg
Views: 3415
dd50b485-30b9-49ea-8828-97b21a24f8f0.jpg
Sherman R975 Sounds dd50b485-30b9-49ea-8828-97b21a24f8f0.jpg
Views: 2925
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:43:19 AM by Rad_Schuhart »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Sherman R975 Sounds
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 03:32:58 PM »
I can see the file on your OneDrive and it lets me download it even, but I am unable to open the archive (I am using 7Zip). Maybe the file got corrupted, or maybe 7Zip can't read it...

Also I know things can always be improved into eternity, but it's a hassle to update the GitHub many times for a single file, unless you want to do it yourself on your end with a Git client. There is an old saying about "finished, not perfect." You don't have to make it perfect but I won't post it to the repository until you say it is "good enough." If there are already changes you know you intend to make then I will hold off.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 03:38:36 PM »
I can see the file on your OneDrive and it lets me download it even, but I am unable to open the archive (I am using 7Zip). Maybe the file got corrupted, or maybe 7Zip can't read it...

Also I know things can always be improved into eternity, but it's a hassle to update the GitHub many times for a single file, unless you want to do it yourself on your end with a Git client. There is an old saying about "finished, not perfect." You don't have to make it perfect but I won't post it to the repository until you say it is "good enough." If there are already changes you know you intend to make then I will hold off.

It is a .Rar file. Could it that be the problem?
Give me a bit more time to polish the sonds a bit more. As I said, I dont stop adding things!

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 03:51:40 PM »
Nevermind! I updated my version of 7Zip and now I can extract it.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 03:59:42 PM »
Nevermind! I updated my version of 7Zip and now I can extract it.

COOL! I am going to bed now, in this side of the world is quite late right now, but I will read you tomorrow. Hope you enjoy the sounds, I am putting effort and love on them.
Again, I still have to fix that idling sound, but I think the rest so far is Ok. Please give me sincere feedback and more ideas!

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 01:49:37 PM »
Ok, this is what happens for not testing until the last of the things... I added a nice machine gun start sound, but it is not compatible with how the board works. I mean, that sound is for mounting the machine gun, but the light is already flashing. I had the led blown so I could not test it until now... I will remove those mounting sounds for the next beta version. I like them, but it just does not work as expected.

Also, talking about machine guns, I forgot to say, the 1st machine gun is the 1919 cal .30, and the second is the .50. THe cal .50 was always in the roof of the cuppola. So you decide which one you want to play.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 02:17:57 PM »
Hi Rad, you asked for feedback which won't take long to give - the sounds are quite good in my opinion. I'm not sure how much my opinion counts, I don't run sound in my own models (not that I have time to run models at all). Also I am not one for all the talking and music, but I definitely know when an engine sound gives me a headache and these do not. I'd say these engine sounds are better than Tamiya and better than a lot of what gets put on Benedinis that I have heard. The longer clips eliminate the broken-record effect and makes for a very realistic impression.

The idle sound seemed good to me. Even if you come up with something better I'd say leave this one as well (for those not familiar, we can have up to 5 idle sounds that are randomly selected at each return to idle).

I know creating a sound set takes a lot of work and time, so I appreciate it. I think anyone with a Sherman would be quite pleased with these sounds.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 02:21:31 AM »
Hi Luke, thanks for your kind works, I am glad you liked the sound set.

I am no sound engineer and my experience using Audacity is very limited, but I think the sounds I did are OK and will make most people happy.

I do believe my sounds are way better than Tamiya sounds. Sorry if I offend somebody but I always found Tamiya sounds very synthetic... Limited, artificial and boring, with lack of personality.

I agree with you that is better to use longer clips than short sounds looping. Throttle responsiveness is worse, but sounds more realistic but it is also harder to do, lol. Anyway if I redid the sounds like this is because I followed your feedback, so thanks!

I am also "surprised" that you (and a lot of people more) dont use sounds! For me is like eating with no salt, they are a must! But hey, to each his own.

So I hope to have ready and """finished""" the sounds for the end of the month, so you can upload them to github or wherever you want.

I will upload this complete soundpack with my open config and so on, and if somebody wants it, I can upload those million of sounds that I have somewhere, for free download. (Warning! I did not create those voices, I extracted them from games, movies and so on. Not sure if there is any copyright problem, but I guess is Ok, because we are not selling them...)

And I also think I can have the King Tiger sounds ready in a month after finishing the Sherman sounds or so.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:46:47 AM by Rad_Schuhart »

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 03:49:56 AM »
Hi again. I just uploaded a newer version, and I think it can be the definitive one. I corrected the machine gun glitches, I created two new idling motor sounds, and also I added a damaged idle sound.

Due to the github restriction, I had to split the file in two.

I know the sounds could be better, but I honestly thing I did OK sounds and some people might be happy enough with them. Anyway if somebody has a better idea or wants to improve anything, just tell me, or just modify them at your will :)

EDIT: I just uploaded another file with "cannonh" that I forgot to add.

Lol, you all should see my desktop with the folders.

"Final sounds"
"Final sounds 2.0"
"Final sounds 3.0"
"Definitive final sounds"
"ULTIMATE SOUNDS"
"Em... well, just the last version of sounds".

Is more or less like that, lol. But now it should be ok... At least for the next five minutes.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:41:00 AM by Rad_Schuhart »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »
Ok Rad, I've posted the Sherman sound set and the German Voices set.

I did not include the "Sherman Soundbank" files with the Sherman set because it would make the Zip too large. I could post them to "Miscellaneous" along with the German voices but it would be better if you would split them into two sets, one appears to be American music and the other sound effects, it would be helpful if you renamed the files so the end user could tell what was what (ie, YankeeDoodle.wav or BackgroundNoise.wav or whatever). Then the user can decide what they want to do with them. But anyway they are not specific to the Sherman and again I think these types of files are easy enough for anyone to obtain, and they require no editing skills to make, and very few people probably even want to use this sort of sound, so it is not a huge priority if you don't want to bother.

You can remove your files from OneDrive now, I'm done.
Open Panzer FAQs