Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline larryzhou

• View Profile
  • Shanghai
24v Battery, Futaba Sbus receiver
« on: January 28, 2019, 09:18:35 AM »
HI, guys.

Just ordered Openpanzer board & Benedini sound system for my Matelbox Luchs project.

However, I just found out that the TCB is connected via SBUS or Ibus, but no standard 1-4 ch cables. and its working Voltage is from 7- 15V.

I wondering if anyone has connected Futaba R3008sb or other Futaba Sbus receiver to the TCB? My radio is the Futaba T10j  and the last thing I want to do is to purchase a new radio.

Also, as for the input voltage, since the tank is powered by 24 acid battery, I certainly need to fit a convertor. However, anyone know the max amp of TCB allows?

the ESC I use is the Sabertooth 2*32.

many thanks

Larry

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: 24v Battery, Futaba Sbus receiver
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:22:18 PM »
Hi Larry,

The TCB is compatible with the Futaba SBus protocol, they are the ones that invented SBus. If you get a Futaba SBus receiver you will have no problems, and you will get a lot more channels than just 1-4.

Yes, you will need a BEC or similar device to power the TCB if you are using a 24 volt system. The "max amps the TCB allows" is a confusing question. The TCB itself draws very little current. If you are using the onboard Motor A & B outputs, for example to drive your turret motors, note they can provide up to 2 amps max each (so 4 amps total). This may not be enough current for your turret, only you will know. The TCB can also provide up to 3 amps total to other 5 volt devices (lights, servos, etc). So size your BEC or converter appropriately. The more relevant question is, what is the "max amps your BEC will allow."

Of course you can still power your Sabertooth directly at 24 volts, it does not need to operate at the same voltage as the TCB so long as they share a ground connection. And of course your Sabertooth will still be able to provide up to 32 amps to each drive motor.

Keep us posted on your project! I have been waiting for someone to use this in a 1/6 scale model.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline larryzhou

• View Profile
  • Shanghai
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 09:18:14 PM »
HI, Lukez

it's very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Offline bayou

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 04:50:58 AM »
Hello Larry

i have already built in what you are asking for.
radio: Futaba T10J
receiver: R3008SB and also a Cooltech RSF08SB
connected via SBUS to the TCB.

soon i'll test it with some other Futaba RC's and cooltech or corona receivers

no problems. works great great. configuration like shown in the wiki

regards Ulrich

Offline larryzhou

• View Profile
  • Shanghai
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 09:10:18 AM »
Guys,

finally, the TCB is with me. However, I got the 1st problem. Radio can't be detected.

I hooked up PC with TCB, and connected with r3008sb via the 8/Sbus port. Linked with T10j, but, OP config says, radio can't be detected. I am sure the receiver is in the correct mode.

Do I have to connect extra power to the receiver at the meantime it is hooked up with TCB?

Offline larryzhou

• View Profile
  • Shanghai
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 09:32:05 AM »
I tried a second TCB. Windows XP installed the driver again, and assigned COM5 to the 2nd TCB. But, the OP config won't connect to the 2nd board.

will it be a quality problem?

Offline larryzhou

• View Profile
  • Shanghai
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 09:36:04 AM »
I tried a second TCB. Windows XP installed the driver again, and assigned COM5 to the 2nd TCB. But, the OP config won't connect to the 2nd board.

will it be a quality problem?

well, turns out the 5#DIP switch are set to OFF.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 11:41:08 AM »
Right, Dipswitch #5 needs to be in the ON position, glad you found that.

Now do you have any issues detecting the receiver?
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline larryzhou

• View Profile
  • Shanghai
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 06:41:06 PM »
Right, Dipswitch #5 needs to be in the ON position, glad you found that.

Now do you have any issues detecting the receiver?

the TCB still can't read the radio . $_$

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 08:36:11 PM »
To answer your earlier question, no, the receiver doesn't need an extra power source, it obtains 5 volts from the 3-pin connection to the TCB.

Ulrich confirms the R3008SB receiver works, so yours should too. There are two receiver connections on the TCB, try the other one. In other words, you have probably been using the bottom connector which is labelled for SBus, but try the top one too and see if that makes a difference.

Does your receiver turn on correctly? Is there a light or anything on the receiver that you can use to confirm?

I have not used this receiver personally but just looking at images of it, I see there are two SBus connections on it, one labelled "8/SB" and the other "S.BUS2"

I don't know what the difference is but try both of those, and make sure you have the polarity correct. Possibly there may be some settings in your transmitter to enable SBus, I don't know.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline larryzhou

• View Profile
  • Shanghai
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 09:55:55 PM »
To answer your earlier question, no, the receiver doesn't need an extra power source, it obtains 5 volts from the 3-pin connection to the TCB.

Ulrich confirms the R3008SB receiver works, so yours should too. There are two receiver connections on the TCB, try the other one. In other words, you have probably been using the bottom connector which is labelled for SBus, but try the top one too and see if that makes a difference.

Does your receiver turn on correctly? Is there a light or anything on the receiver that you can use to confirm?

I have not used this receiver personally but just looking at images of it, I see there are two SBus connections on it, one labelled "8/SB" and the other "S.BUS2"

I don't know what the difference is but try both of those, and make sure you have the polarity correct. Possibly there may be some settings in your transmitter to enable SBus, I don't know.

It’s spring festival holiday here, all shops are closed. I might want to get a FrSky delta8 later and have another try.

Offline larryzhou

• View Profile
  • Shanghai
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 10:06:21 PM »
Hello Larry

i have already built in what you are asking for.
radio: Futaba T10J
receiver: R3008SB and also a Cooltech RSF08SB
connected via SBUS to the TCB.

soon i'll test it with some other Futaba RC's and cooltech or corona receivers

no problems. works great great. configuration like shown in the wiki

regards Ulrich

Hi Ulrich

Glad your setup works.
May I ask the configuration of your setup.

1. Is there a switch or setting in T10J which can force the radio using Sbus. Or is it done automatically?
2. Which mode of 3008 you set to? Is it mode 2?
3. Did you purchase the Tcb most recently? Mine is HobbyKing’s 2019 Jan stock.

Many thanks.

Larry

Offline larryzhou

• View Profile
  • Shanghai
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 10:34:02 PM »

I will test again later night on a native PC as it just occurred to me I am running the setup in the VMware on a Mac. Although the Op config can connect to the TCB in the VM, but still there might be the possibility.

Fingers are crossed.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 10:36:27 PM »
According to page 29 of the 10J manual, you need to set the R3008SB receiver to CH Mode B or D. It's not clear what the difference is between those two modes with regards to the SBus output, possibly nothing. I would try both modes, and connect your receiver to the TCB using the receiver's "8/SB" output.

If you are able to connect to the TCB with OP Config then VMWare is probably not your issue, otherwise you would have had a problem already before that.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline larryzhou

• View Profile
  • Shanghai
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 10:42:42 PM »
According to page 29 of the 10J manual, you need to set the R3008SB receiver to CH Mode B or D. It's not clear what the difference is between those two modes with regards to the SBus output, possibly nothing. I would try both modes, and connect your receiver to the TCB using the receiver's "8/SB" output.

If you are able to connect to the TCB with OP Config then VMWare is probably not your issue, otherwise you would have had a problem already before that.

Hi LukeZ

The difference between mode B(2) and D(4) is the changes in the availability of PWM outputs .

bomber-explosion