Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Motors swapped and ligths don't work
« on: December 15, 2018, 07:41:20 PM »
Hi, Im getting crazy with my tank.
Finally I solved some things buy I still have problems and I need help because I dont understand what is the problem.
My tank is a Tigen full metal Early and I connected the taigen sound board.Motor are stock, the old ones.
Receiver is a Frysky compatible irange Fli14+ connected via ibus in the top pins.
Smoker DKLM V3 disconnected now.
Frysky FS-i6s , Mode 1 with spring
X2 ESC HPI , Reverse function desactivated. I think dont have brake, but not sure.

Motors problem.
In radio pahe all is OK and detect the movements like I want.
Ligth In board work rigth.
Nothing reverse, all sould work properly.
Nope, A motor work inverted to the other. I know left motor is in right side.
No way get it work. The left one work rigth, and I decide swap wires in the motor. Now the motors go in the same way but to go foward mechanicaly, the board and the configurator must show Im in reverse all is swapped. No other way than swap speeds,constraints etc, but now the problem is turning while drive is OK, but if I turn in 0 speed, is reversed, its crazy.

Lights: No one ligth work, there is current, 5V, but they dont work, they need a resistance or something, in the wiki dont tell anythind about modifications in the lights, and I connected straight foward.

Excuse my poor english

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Motors swapped and ligths don't work
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:00:19 PM »
Hi FP, please read this recent thread where a user reported a similar issue, the cause turned out to be reversed motor wires.

Your description is not entirely clear but my best advice is to start again from the beginning. Run the radio setup routine and make sure OP Config is correctly reading your radio, and that when you move your sticks OP Config interprets the directions and channels correctly. If not, adjust in OP Config until it can interpret your radio movements exactly as you intend them. Read the Wiki page again, or watch the help video.

You say you have the reverse function disabled on your ESCs. That is not correct, your ESCs need to be able to operate in both forward and reverse. If possible, you do want to disable the brake function on the ESCs. But do not disable reverse.

Once you get everything setup correctly in OP Config, then if your motors move in the wrong direction it is due to reversed motor wires.

I am absolutely confident that your problem is something very simple that was overlooked, rather than a problem with the board itself.

If English is not your first language, possibly the instructions in the Wiki are not very clear to you. If so, please try to find someone who can speak your language and English both, to help you. If you let us know hat your native language is, there may be some foreigners on this forum who can help.

As for the lights, instructions are indeed provided in the Wiki including comments about current limiting and the use of resistors. I don't know what LEDs you are using so I can't give you specific advice. Maybe your LEDs were burned out? Are they wired backwards? Double check. Observe with Snoop in OP Config to make sure your trigger to turn on/off the lights is working correctly.

If you can ask a very specific question I can give specific answers, but where things stand right now you will need to perform more troubleshooting yourself.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 05:35:05 PM »
Probably the problem is that a motor is inverted, but I can't understand how if it is a stock Taigen that was working properly with a RX18 MFU.
I bought new gearbox and motors, I will connect them as the TBC need.

The reverse function in my ESC don't remove the reverse gear, I think it is called crawler mode in other ESCs.

At the moment, I'm working with all in reverse in OP Config and it work, when I go foward the TBC is thinking that I'm in reverse and the foward speed is limited (it looks the ESC are faster in foward than in reverse). I limited the foward speed  to a 25%, 100% in reverse, removed the null speed turn, mode 1 steering, and know my tank drives in scale like the real one after mesure the speeds, just reverse is faster, but it is acceptable, if I put 20% in reverse It doesn't have enough torque.
 Two futher small issues are that I can pass from foward to reverse without a futher touch in the stick, but when I need pass from reverse to foward,I need touch the stick foward twice.(due to the inversion direction in OP Config)

I bought new lights as look I burn them XD, some clue what resistors I need instal for original taigen leds?

Probably the problem is that a motor is inverted, but I can't understand how if it is a stock Taigen that was working properly with a RX18 MFU.

The reverse function in my ESC don't remove the reverse gear, I think it is called crawler mode in other ESCs.

At the moment I'm working with all in reverse and it work, when I go foward the TBC think I'm in reverse and the foward speed is limited (slower that reverse) as the ESCs or TBC think I'm in reverse (it looks the ESC are faster in foward than in reverse). I limited the foward speed  to a 25%, 100% in reverse, removed the null speed turn, mode 1 steering, and know my tank drives in scale like the real one after mesure the speeds, just reverse is faster, but it is acceptable, if I put 20% in reverse It doesn't have enough torque.

I bought new lights as look I burn them XD, some clue what resistors I need instal for original taigen leds?

I discovered that turret elevation with servo is not so precise as the original system. Probably the rods in a specific and calculated angle (trigonometry XD?)or travel  be better than random position of the servo with staples as rie rod XD

Just tell you my admiration for all the job you done, and for make it open source. Just tell you thank you.

You did possible I have this tank, as I can't pay other sound cards and MFU.
Really, you made me happy, I wanted this tank for years. A lot of years.
Do you allow me credit you in a video I will make?

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 06:35:30 PM »
Forget the RX18. You are not using the RX18, you are using aftermarket ESCs. You need to set the motor wires for what works with your current setup.

Ok, good.

At the moment, I'm working with all in reverse in OP Config and it work, when I go foward the TBC is thinking that I'm in reverse and the foward speed is limited (it looks the ESC are faster in foward than in reverse). I limited the foward speed  to a 25%, 100% in reverse, removed the null speed turn, mode 1 steering, and know my tank drives in scale like the real one after mesure the speeds, just reverse is faster, but it is acceptable, if I put 20% in reverse It doesn't have enough torque.
 Two futher small issues are that I can pass from foward to reverse without a futher touch in the stick, but when I need pass from reverse to foward,I need touch the stick foward twice.(due to the inversion direction in OP Config)
It's up to you if you want to run it backwards, even though it makes no sense. The TCB and OP Config will work correctly. You need to follow the setup instructions as already described, and then if your tank still moves in the wrong direction, SWITCH THE MOTOR WIRES. It's that simple.

I don't know what resistors the Taigen LEDs use, you could ask at RCU forums or somewhere. If you have bought aftermarket LEDs, then you need to look at the specifications of those LEDs to determine exactly what resistor you need.

But as it says in the Wiki, "If you just like to guess, a 150 ohm resistor should be sufficient for most common single LEDs, or use a 100 ohm resistor for two LEDs wired in parallel."

Always read the Wiki! It saves me time answering questions which are already answered there! 

Do you allow me credit you in a video I will make?
Yes, please feel free.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 07:05:22 PM »
Yes, when arrive the new motors I will swap them, to change the wires now I need dismount all, I dont want dismount twice in just a few days.

Thank you for the advice.
I checked the Wiki, but for some reason I just found the hi bright flash.

Thank you again.

bomber-explosion