Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
StabiWii Turret Stabilization by Squirlier
« on: January 16, 2017, 01:48:26 PM »
Some users at RCU pointed me to Squirlier's (Christian S.) open source StabiWii project. I thought it might be good to have a place to discuss his project (in English) for those interested to experiment with it. Just to be clear, I don't know Squirlier nor have I worked on his project at all. I am not a developer on his project and I take no credit for any of the work done!

Here are his shared project files: StabiWii at Google Drive
Here is is YouTube page: Squirlier YouTube

As of today the TCB does not have barrel or turret stabilization features enabled. I have worked on it but not reached a functional stage. As I think about it more, I have begun to think a different approach might be best - implement a small microcontroller and sensor board that takes care of all the stabilization functions, and simply plugs inline with the servo/motor signals to the turret. In other words, offload all stabilization work from the TCB into a standalone device that could be used with any tank control system or RC radio.

As it turns out, that is precisely what the the StabiWii does. It does not need to be integrated with the TCB and it could be used in any RC tank regardless of MFU. That is why I have put this thread here in the Other Open Source Projects forum.

From my preliminary investigation, the StabiWii project is a modification of the MultiWii Project. MutliWii has a long history and originally began by using the sensors in the Wii Motion Plus controller paired with an Arduino Nano and community code to control a quadcopter. The StabiWii firmware appears to be designed to run on either a NanoWii Flight Controller (available from Hobby King and perhaps elsewhere), or just a standard Arduino Nano paired with an MPU6050 IMU (both of which could be purchased from SparkFun).

The NanoWii FC has a lot of other features and functions that wouldn't be needed for turret stabilization, and the code is fairly complex as a result. Documentation at this stage appears to be fairly poor, as well as a lot of it being in German. I'm not critiquing the project at all, just stating my observations. It also does not appear that the project has quite yet reached final completion to judge from Squirlier's latest video, although what he has accomplished already is very impressive!

I don't have a NanoWii to play with, but I did download his firmware and it compiled just fine in the Arduino IDE. I was also able to get his GUI configuration program to run, but I have no idea how to use it.

His Google Drive site is a bit confusing, but here is what I downloaded:
  • Go to StabiWii-Beta folder
  • Download three packages:
    • jre-7u79-windows-i586.exe
    • StabiWii - TankConf V26.rar
    • StabiWII -32u4-328P---V26.rar
  • The .exe file will install Java Runtime Environment which is needed to use the Configuration program
  • Un-rar the other two packages, I used 7-Zip
  • The "StabiWii - TankConf V26" is the GUI configuration program. Although I am using Windows 7 x64, I wasn't able to get the "application.windows64" version to run, but the "application.windows32" did work fine. I see also a "StabiWiiTANKConf.pde" file in this folder, I don't know if you have to load that sketch on to your NanoWii in order for it to be configured or not? Unclear.
  • The "StabiWii -32u4-328P---V26" is the Arduino firmware for the NanoWii. It compiled for me without errors in Arduino IDE 1.8.1 by selecting "Arduino Nano" as the target board.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: StabiWii Turret Stabilization by Squirlier
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »
Ok, so that's as far as I got. There are other priorities right now with TCB development so it's unlikely I'm going to have the time to pursue this system further, but maybe it will help others get started, as well as have a place to share notes, etc...
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline uglyduck

• View Profile
  • US
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:56:19 PM »
In my own research of this project it seems like the StabiWii will function on the Crius 2.6 flight controller as well:

I had a hard time finding specs on the Crius 2.6 but the 2.5 (http://www.myrcmart.com/mwc-multiwii-se-v25-flight-controller-p-6706.html ) uses a HMC5883L 3-axis digital magnetometer and BMP085 digital pressure sensor.  Neither of which appear to be utilized by StabiWii but I could be wrong.  It can also support a GPS receiver + I2C-GPS NAV Board.  I don't believe the magnetometer and pressure sensor are included on the NanoWii.  All that is to say that the Crius may be had for nearly the same price as the NanoWii with the added possibilities coming from two additional on board sensors.

The addition of a GPS sensor may open the possibility of programing a tank to follow a route, loiter, or orbit an objective much like a quadcopter's flight plan can be programmed through these boards.

I hope to purchase one of these flight controllers to test StabiWii in conjuction with an Arduino Mega until the TCB is available. 

Also, here is a link to a thread by Quantum2k6 about his tank (which is a work of RC Armor art) to include his use of the Crius.  Its in German and you must be a registered user to view the thread.  The first post includes links to various parts of his build.  http://www.heng-long-panzerforum.com/index.php?thread/18232-2-x-leopard-1-c2-mexas/&postID=210612#post210612
-Mitch-

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 08:34:33 PM »
Mitch, the mention of programming a tank to follow a route and the like brings to mind the APM Rover project, in case you are anyone else is not familiar with it. This is the "ground" variant of the popular ArduPilot project. Ironically in the early days they were running this on the equivalent of the Arduino Mega 2560, which in no small part inspired me to use that processor on the TCB. Their firmware has since graduated to more powerful processors; details are at the Rover site. All of their firmware is open source.

The APM project is quite mature now. They have full featured groundstation software (perhaps more than one to choose from last I checked), and every possible autonomous ability you may wish. APM Rover has won AVC numerous times. 

Not that you were necessarily thinking this, but for other people who may come here wanting to embark on autonomous tank projects, you will reach your goals much faster with Rover than by trying to build upon the TCB, which is really geared towards RC control at this point.
Open Panzer FAQs

Squirlier

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 02:34:38 AM »
Hello all,

So you checked my Project? :-) That´s fine.

The Documentation is truely very bad.
The newest Doc is a "Diagramm" for connection.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3U7wG7ao08JM1hWYVJ4NXhsOGM

The .Pde file within the Config folder is something like an arduino sketch but for "Processing" Software.
That is for Coding the Config look and functions.

The Stabiwii is able to control a Servo with up to 200hz.
It is possible to use Servo´s with different Pulse width (760 or something like that)

For Quantum2k i code some extra stuff like Smoke gereration and a pump for Gunsmoke.

The Gps stuff is a little bit of a Problem.
I have tested this. it kinda works with an i2c GPS (serial is no option because of code length)
The magentometer is nearly useless. it has du be put far away from the tank to get good readings.
But with an android app i managed to target something an the turret will keep that target in sight.
But that is no option for Public.. i2c gps code modification is komplex (eosBandi did the i2cgps stuff that i used and moddet a little)

enough for today..  :-)

Feel free to ask me questions.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:52:50 PM by Squirlier »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 01:30:28 PM »
Thanks for joining and posting here Christian! I hope some people will decide to use your project and post their results for others, you have done a lot of impressive work.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 05:03:02 AM »
Using a Naze32 as pitch controller for the barrel?

I have some flip32's and Naze lying around.. Will try if this works..
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline Scaracab

• View Profile
  • GER
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:33:52 PM »
Hey Guys,
i've got a modified vstanks leopard 2 a6 with squirliers stabilisation running on an arduino Nani clone in combination with an mpu9250 sensor. It works very good.
 At the moment i'm integrating the tcb board mit additional (switched) stabiwii gun and turret stabilisation in the well known Hongkong leopard 2 a6.

With the path-through function of aux-channels as aux input for the
Arduino

...by the way: both projects are impressive and for hobby usage. Thanks for your work and d

Offline uglyduck

• View Profile
  • US
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
Do you have a diagram or instructions for installation?
-Mitch-

Offline x1cygnus

• working on this in 1/35th and 1/16
    • View Profile
  • Miles City Montana
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 08:27:10 PM »
would the GSU fom 35rc tank work??
Life: A space time collision

Offline uglyduck

• View Profile
  • US
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
x1,
I recall vaguely that I asked that question long ago and the answer was uncertain.  I've wondered the same thing though.  It would be great if the TCB could read the signals from the GSU to stabilize the turret/barrel. 

I wouldn't even know how to start testing that even if I had a GSU in hand.
-Mitch-

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 04:29:17 PM »
would the GSU fom 35rc tank work??

I had not looked into their products before, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. Those guys have some impressive stuff.

There is no technical information available on their products, and of course they are not running an open-source enterprise. I've sent them an email to see if they would like to collaborate and will keep you posted.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 06:43:12 PM »
Just reporting back, I've looked into the GSU. It is not a standalone device, it is merely an inertial measurement sensor, a good one but one of which any number could be chosen for the job. It still requires firmware on the TCB to process the readings and convert them into movement commands for the turret motors.

In other words, the GSU does not reduce the amount of work that would be required to accomplish that feature than where we are now. And where we are now, is that the amount of work is in excess of the time I have to devote, especially given how few people would actually use it.

Short of me winning the lottery and getting early retirement, some of these features will realistically only get realized if this project attracts additional coders that are willing to work on the firmware. For now I'm afraid I can't move the ball forward on that front.

Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 03:47:04 AM »
Ther are some videos on Youtube for assembling and configuration:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHJBJUJbpd7ZW_q5ocC8dYA