Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline rockchuck

• View Profile
  • australia
Re: Open Source Sound using Teensy 3.2 and PJRC Audio Library
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2018, 06:04:47 PM »
Hi Luke
thanks for your comments. Could I use a Hot Air Rework Station gun to solder the smd parts to the sound board including the Micro SD unit?  Then I could use a soldering iron to solder the connectors and other items that have plastic parts.
thanks
rockchuck

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »
You could try, it's up to you. Anything is possible with enough skill, but honestly what you're contemplating doesn't sound any easier than just doing re-flow. You're still going to have to get a stencil and paste the board, after which you can stick it on a hot plate or you can blow it with a hot air gun and risk moving the parts around.

I mean no offense at all, but in my past experience when I receive questions like these it usually means the result you're going to get is probably not the result you're hoping for. Experimenting is good and it's how I learned everything I know, so I'm not discouraging it, but I take no responsibility for the outcome and you need to be prepared to waste money until you get a process down. Ask me how I know...
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2018, 09:42:33 PM »
Been a while, and it's time for an update on the sound card development.

The first hardware version, which is what most of the beta-testers have, featured a 2.6 watt amplifier. Version 2 of the hardware upgraded the onboard amp to a 10 watt version but otherwise remained the same.

Version 3, of which the files are now available, adds 3 light outputs and 1 servo output. Presently these outputs are used only in RC mode (when the sound card is controlled directly with RC signals rather than from the TCB). The TCB already has its own light and servo outputs so it doesn't really need the ones on the sound card, but I may add some ability to utilize them anyway at some point in the future.

The firmware has also been worked on extensively. Before now the options for RC control were very limited, and the five RC inputs had fixed function assignments. That has now changed, the sound card now has a wide variety of settings that can be manipulated by the user when used in RC mode, these settings must be put into an ".ini" file (a specially formatted text file), and this file placed on the Micro SD memory stick along with your sound files (when used with the TCB, settings can just be communicated directly from the TCB to the sound card so the ini file is not needed).

I have released a Windows application that I call "INI Creator" which is just a convenient tool to generate the .ini file. You can download it from the Downloads page. Again, this application is only needed if you plan to use the sound card in RC mode. If you are using it with the TCB, you can do all your setup in OP Config as usual.

In RC mode, each of the five input channels can now be configured as switch inputs (with up to 6 positions each) with user-selectable functions for each position, but two of the channels can also be assigned as your throttle input (in parallel with your ESC) or optionally as a volume control from your radio (you can always still use the physical volume control). With the servo and light outputs, the Sound Card could now give basic RC models a complete set of engine and user sounds, as well as a cannon effect (with sound, servo recoil, and flash), machine gun effect (with sound and blinking light), and a third light to be used as headlights/second machine gun/whatever.

Hopefully these changes will make the Sound Card a useful product on its own right apart from the TCB. Primarily I am thinking it should be a useful addition to stock Taigen / Heng Long models and the like.

The instructions for using the sound card are slightly different depending on whether you are controlling it via hobby RC or with the TCB, and some of the sound files are different. There are two pages in the Wiki now, one for each application.

Wiki page > Open Panzer Sound Card with TCB

Wiki page > Open Panzer Sound Card in RC Mode

PS: For those beta-testers with V1 or V2 hardware, you can still use the RC functions and INI Creator, the only thing is you won't have any light or servo outputs.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2018, 09:48:32 PM »
One other feature that has been requested and which I've finally added are "sound banks," which are basically like playlists on your MP3 player (note the sound card requires WAV files, not MP3s).

With the latest firmware update the Sound Card features two banks (A & B) of up to 20 sounds each. Unlike the user sounds which you select directly (for example, "play user sound #7"), with the sound banks you control the list with options like "play next," "play previous," or "play random."

As always there is a specific nomenclature required for your file names, you can read about that in the Wiki at the links I provided above. Sound banks are available both in RC mode and when used with the TCB (when you select the Open Panzer Sound Card in OP Config you will see new sound bank functions added to the function list, and then you just assign triggers to them as usual).

With all the changes that have been made recently I wouldn't be surprised if some bugs have crept in, so if anyone notices odd behavior please let me know here in this thread.

I'd like to do some more testing of these changes but hopefully I am nearing the end of physical development on this device, and then we can turn our attention to possibly finding someone willing to manufacture it.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline KeesK

• View Profile
  • Nehterlands
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2018, 04:50:48 AM »
Hallo LukeZ
Having not the possibility to make my own Open panzer sound card I had to stick to the Teensy 3.2 and the PJRC audio library and card.
This was great for learning, with help from all the information from the previous discussions.
To me it had the advantage that I could build a simple sound system with the information available, I use the standard sounds available on your site.
One thing however stroke my mind for the following reason, building the Panther I realized that you cannot use the standerd sound of the engine in relation to the throttle only for the following reasons:
- the panther was seriosly underpowerd and had a 7 stage transmission
- This meant for instance if it had to crawl a 30 % gradient it had to work full throttle with a speed of 5 - 6 km/h
- So the relation between the stick of your transmitter and the sound of the engine is not proportional.
I can solve this with the PJRC audio board and an measurement of the amps usign a pololu Amp measurement board, meaning high current high volume low current low volume. Here comes in the stereo handy while I can use one channel for the motor sound only and the other channel for the other sounds, a cannon blast can now always have the rigth volume
There is only one thing which is not clear to me and I'll appreciate it if you can help me with that, what is the signal from the TCB going into the teensy 3.2, port 0 and 1?
For other purposes I use the signal coming straigth from the reiver as integers, so no post processing over there.
Please inform, thanks. In case of questions or remarks  please inform
Regards Kees

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2018, 02:42:06 PM »
There is only one thing which is not clear to me and I'll appreciate it if you can help me with that, what is the signal from the TCB going into the teensy 3.2, port 0 and 1?
This is the Serial1 port on the Teensy. All commands from the TCB to the Teensy are transmitted over serial. Without that connection, the TCB can't tell the Open Panzer Sound Card to do anything.

Of course the Open Panzer Sound Card also has inputs for use directly with an RC receiver, perhaps that is what you are testing. In that mode, the TCB is not used at all. It is an option for those wanting to use the sound card in other models that do not have a TCB. Functions and features will differ between the two modes.

You can not use RC input with the TCB, you must use serial.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rongyos

• View Profile
  • Hungary
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2019, 12:52:40 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm new in electronics and the only thing that I can recognize on a schematic is DC+ and - :D
Leaving the joke, can I replace SMD parts to THT parts somehow? Did you make or can you send me a THT EAGLE board?
Or is it possible somehow? I van make PCB for the amplifier and I can solder the MicroSD car but little SMD-s are hard to soldering for me :(

Thank you for your help

Adam

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »
hallo,
take a look above...
there is a button called Downloads

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2019, 12:07:12 AM »
I'm new in electronics and the only thing that I can recognize on a schematic is DC+ and - :D
Leaving the joke, can I replace SMD parts to THT parts somehow? Did you make or can you send me a THT EAGLE board?
Or is it possible somehow? I van make PCB for the amplifier and I can solder the MicroSD car but little SMD-s are hard to soldering for me :(
Hi Adam,

Even the SD card holder is difficult to hand solder, I really wouldn't do it myself even, not because it is so small, but because of the design the pins are inaccessible and you really need to do reflow to secure it well.

It is an interesting question if a simplified version of the sound card could be made with off-the-shelf parts that would involve more or less minimal soldering and no SMD components. As always there are complications to everything, the SD card is one complication as already mentioned. There is one SD card shield for the Teensy but the design of it hides the reset button on the Teensy which you actually need to flash firmware. Nothing is ever easy. On the other hand, cheap amplifier breakout boards are widely available on eBay and Chinese sites so that part is convenient.

I am giving this some thought and I plan to test a few components. The short answer is that right now there is no good way, but if I come up with something I will post here again with my findings.

At the same time I am pursuing some possibilities of production for the existing design (not through Hobby King). I hesitate to mention it because there is no guarantee any of these efforts will bear fruit, but I am trying.

Nothing is going to happen quickly, but the project has not been abandoned completely.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rongyos

• View Profile
  • Hungary
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2019, 11:48:49 AM »
On the other hand, cheap amplifier breakout boards are widely available on eBay and Chinese sites so that part is convenient.

Hey Luke, thanks for your reply!

I was thinking about those kind of cheap amps because I used them in similar HL and other electronics, but -as I mentioned before - was afraid of ruining something because maxim amp has a lot of soldering pads (and not legs for making soldering harder :D )

I ordered a lot of spare smd resistors and diodes so I can practice soldering them.

Should I buy hot air soldering base?

At the same time I am pursuing some possibilities of production for the existing design (not through Hobby King).

interested :)

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2019, 10:42:24 PM »
Should I buy hot air soldering base?
I have never needed to use a hot air station, though it might have come in convenient at times. I would invest in a good soldering iron over a hot air station, I use the Weller WLC100 and an ST7 fine tip. But there are some things an iron simply can't do. For reflow soldering I use a cheap electric hot plate (like what you get for cooking).

I have no progress to report on the DIY sound card idea. I'm still waiting on some parts from China to do more testing with.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline rockchuck

• View Profile
  • australia
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2019, 12:41:03 AM »
Hi Luke
I have built a prototype  sound card on a breadboard with a teensy and the add-on SD card board that stacks on top of it.  I am using a 10 watt amp module bought from ebay cheap and I have the 5 volt supply etc on the board and the activity leds.
I can't get the OP software to recognize the teensy although the led is lite on the teensy but the activity leds are dark.

How do I get the OP Sound card firmware into the Teensey I assume this is required. The installation details for the sound card are a bit vague. I have loaded the test sound files with the correct file names etc on the sd card and inserted that into the Teensy.   Does the Teensy firmware get uploaded over the serial port from the TCB?? If so how do you initiate that??
Access to the reset button on the Teensy with the SD board stacked on top is not a problem provided you use suitable height riser pins to solder the two boards together.

Thanks
rockchuck

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2019, 01:17:40 AM »
To get the firmware on the Teensy just plug it into your computer using a USB cable. Then open OP Config, go the Firmware tab, select "Sound Card" in the Hex file drop-down list, then click the "Get Latest Release" button which will download the latest firmware. Now click the "Flash" button, OP Config will then wait until you press the button on the Teensy and when it detects that it will load the firmware.

After that the Sound Card is ready to go, you can control it either with RC or with a cable to the TCB. To adjust sounds all you have to do is change the sounds on your SD card, and any other adjustments are made with INI Creator or OP Config. You shouldn't need to load the firmware again unless new features are added later.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline rockchuck

• View Profile
  • australia
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2019, 05:16:44 AM »
Thanks Luke.
I tried that but the Teensy won't connect. My pc came up with "failed to load driver file for Teensy".  Where do i find the drivers I need for this as my pc won't recognize the Teensy so the OP software can't make a connection.

thanks
rockchuck

Offline rockchuck

• View Profile
  • australia
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2019, 06:18:47 AM »
OK I got the Teensy loaded. My pc keeps telling me it can't load the driver but just ignore that, The issue was a sequence problem. When you go to Firmware in OP config and click on the Sound card tab, then click "get latest fw" there is no further prompt until you click the Flash" button then a warning pops up telling you to push the reset button on the teensy. Only it is too late!!! and the flash upload fails.

So when all else fails read the instructions!!! So went to Teensy site and for you to flash the Teensy you must push the reset button first !!  you will notice that the flashing led on the Teensy goes out (the flashing led is the default program) THEN you click on the Flash button in OP Config and then the bastard loads!!

OK so now I have the blue led on the Teensy sound card slowly blinking-- it turn hard on when I send command ie fire gun etc then when command is completed it goes back to slow blink. So something is working but no sound--so will do further investigation--stay tuned
cheers
rc