Offline rockchuck

• View Profile
  • australia
Re: Open Source Sound using Teensy 3.2 and PJRC Audio Library
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2018, 06:04:47 PM »
Hi Luke
thanks for your comments. Could I use a Hot Air Rework Station gun to solder the smd parts to the sound board including the Micro SD unit?  Then I could use a soldering iron to solder the connectors and other items that have plastic parts.
thanks
rockchuck

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • Kansas, USA
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »
You could try, it's up to you. Anything is possible with enough skill, but honestly what you're contemplating doesn't sound any easier than just doing re-flow. You're still going to have to get a stencil and paste the board, after which you can stick it on a hot plate or you can blow it with a hot air gun and risk moving the parts around.

I mean no offense at all, but in my past experience when I receive questions like these it usually means the result you're going to get is probably not the result you're hoping for. Experimenting is good and it's how I learned everything I know, so I'm not discouraging it, but I take no responsibility for the outcome and you need to be prepared to waste money until you get a process down. Ask me how I know...
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • Kansas, USA
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2018, 09:42:33 PM »
Been a while, and it's time for an update on the sound card development.

The first hardware version, which is what most of the beta-testers have, featured a 2.6 watt amplifier. Version 2 of the hardware upgraded the onboard amp to a 10 watt version but otherwise remained the same.

Version 3, of which the files are now available, adds 3 light outputs and 1 servo output. Presently these outputs are used only in RC mode (when the sound card is controlled directly with RC signals rather than from the TCB). The TCB already has its own light and servo outputs so it doesn't really need the ones on the sound card, but I may add some ability to utilize them anyway at some point in the future.

The firmware has also been worked on extensively. Before now the options for RC control were very limited, and the five RC inputs had fixed function assignments. That has now changed, the sound card now has a wide variety of settings that can be manipulated by the user when used in RC mode, these settings must be put into an ".ini" file (a specially formatted text file), and this file placed on the Micro SD memory stick along with your sound files (when used with the TCB, settings can just be communicated directly from the TCB to the sound card so the ini file is not needed).

I have released a Windows application that I call "INI Creator" which is just a convenient tool to generate the .ini file. You can download it from the Downloads page. Again, this application is only needed if you plan to use the sound card in RC mode. If you are using it with the TCB, you can do all your setup in OP Config as usual.

In RC mode, each of the five input channels can now be configured as switch inputs (with up to 6 positions each) with user-selectable functions for each position, but two of the channels can also be assigned as your throttle input (in parallel with your ESC) or optionally as a volume control from your radio (you can always still use the physical volume control). With the servo and light outputs, the Sound Card could now give basic RC models a complete set of engine and user sounds, as well as a cannon effect (with sound, servo recoil, and flash), machine gun effect (with sound and blinking light), and a third light to be used as headlights/second machine gun/whatever.

Hopefully these changes will make the Sound Card a useful product on its own right apart from the TCB. Primarily I am thinking it should be a useful addition to stock Taigen / Heng Long models and the like.

The instructions for using the sound card are slightly different depending on whether you are controlling it via hobby RC or with the TCB, and some of the sound files are different. There are two pages in the Wiki now, one for each application.

Wiki page > Open Panzer Sound Card with TCB

Wiki page > Open Panzer Sound Card in RC Mode

PS: For those beta-testers with V1 or V2 hardware, you can still use the RC functions and INI Creator, the only thing is you won't have any light or servo outputs.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • Kansas, USA
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2018, 09:48:32 PM »
One other feature that has been requested and which I've finally added are "sound banks," which are basically like playlists on your MP3 player (note the sound card requires WAV files, not MP3s).

With the latest firmware update the Sound Card features two banks (A & B) of up to 20 sounds each. Unlike the user sounds which you select directly (for example, "play user sound #7"), with the sound banks you control the list with options like "play next," "play previous," or "play random."

As always there is a specific nomenclature required for your file names, you can read about that in the Wiki at the links I provided above. Sound banks are available both in RC mode and when used with the TCB (when you select the Open Panzer Sound Card in OP Config you will see new sound bank functions added to the function list, and then you just assign triggers to them as usual).

With all the changes that have been made recently I wouldn't be surprised if some bugs have crept in, so if anyone notices odd behavior please let me know here in this thread.

I'd like to do some more testing of these changes but hopefully I am nearing the end of physical development on this device, and then we can turn our attention to possibly finding someone willing to manufacture it.
Open Panzer FAQs