Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
Re: Open Source Sound using Teensy 3.2 and PJRC Audio Library
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 06:44:50 AM »
Hi Luke,
I test with a Tamiya Tiger Speaker and with a Visaton FR8.
Both are very loud and I have reduce the volume to 50%.
The next File come this Weekend...

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2017, 03:01:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I have contemplated a re-design using a higher wattage amplifier but I'm not convinced it's necessary. It would seem you do not think so. I will do some more testing with different speakers and leave the option open, but not pursue it for now.

I appreciate the sound files that you are creating. I thought the Panther G sounded good, and you did not even begin to exhaust the capabilities of the sound card. I assume you have seen this video, and perhaps it is even what you used for your source:

NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 09:04:01 PM »
I have released an update to the OP Config software that will allow you to update the firmware on all Open Panzer devices, including the Scout and this Sound Card. There is a drop-down box on the Firmware tab that lets you select your device, and then you can download the latest firmware (or use your own hex, for example if I provide a test firmware here on the forum).

You do not need to install any special drivers for the sound card, Windows will already have them. The first time you connect your card to your computer let Windows install the drivers automatically.

The flash procedure for the sound card is a little different than the TCB. Connect your sound card to the computer using a standard USB cable. You don't need to worry about the COM port in OP Config, it will find the sound card automatically.

After you click the Flash button in OP Config, you must then press the small physical button on the top of your sound card. Once you press the button OP Config will detect the device and complete the firmware update.

I don't think the firmware for the Sound Card (or the Scout) will change very often. But if it does, this will make it easier for you to update, you no longer need to use the Arduino IDE or install any other software besides OP Config.
UpdateSoundCard.png
Open Source Sound using Teensy 3.2 and PJRC Audio Library UpdateSoundCard.png
Views: 6022
UpdateSoundCard_Success.png
Open Source Sound using Teensy 3.2 and PJRC Audio Library UpdateSoundCard_Success.png
Views: 1981
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jhamm

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 12:45:19 AM »
Jürgen I'm curious, what is your thought about the volume level of the sound card? Do you think it is loud enough for 1/16 scale operations?

I am using a Visaton FRS7-4 which is a 2.5" diameter, 4-ohm speaker. I don't have it in an enclosure, which would probably help. It seems pretty loud to me but I do all my testing on my desk rather than outside in an actual model, so that is not a good test in real conditions.

I am going to order the FRS8-4 (3.3" diameter) to see if the larger size makes any difference or not...

Hi Luke,
now i did a step forward....
I have not compared the Open Source Sound Device (OSSD) with other Sound Devices yet

Last weekend i fit the OSSD in the Aeromate Panther II, the FR8JS 8Ohm Speaker is located in under the "Motordeck":

Volume is full up - right next to the panther it is loud enough
5 m further away, it is already quiet ..... an 10m away it is very quiet.
The Benedini TBS is much loder......
I a Amplifier a Solution?

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 01:15:36 AM »
It would be better if you used a 4-ohm speaker, you would achieve twice the wattage. However yes, you can also add an external amplifier (connect it to the LINE OUT header). Then you can have as much power as you want but of course it is not an ideal solution.

I have considered designing a new board with a more powerful amplifier. I don't know when I will have time, but if volume will be a limit then it would be better to make a new design now rather than to promote a product that will be disappointing.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jhamm

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »
It would be better if you used a 4-ohm speaker, you would achieve twice the wattage. However yes, you can also add an external amplifier (connect it to the LINE OUT header). Then you can have as much power as you want but of course it is not an ideal solution.

an external amplifier is now the easiest way to fix the loudness...

I have considered designing a new board with a more powerful amplifier. I don't know when I will have time, but if volume will be a limit then it would be better to make a new design now rather than to promote a product that will be disappointing.

on the desk it was really loud .... 50% volume was enough.
But built into the model, it is too quiet ...
that may be because of it the sound goes upwards out of the tank
and the hull is build of Aluminium....
there come some causes together

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »
I will start working on a new design with a larger amp. We can still continue testing this card because nothing will change but the volume.

Although if anyone has other hardware change suggestions, now is the time to mention it!
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jhamm

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2017, 12:32:04 AM »
Hi Luke,
if possible
- all connectors at one side

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I will consider that, but may not be practical.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Deny

• View Profile
  • Russia
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 01:11:43 PM »
Good afternoon. I'll ask you a question.
Luke, I looked at the table of possible sounds and didn't see the recharge of the gun. I think he'd be useful.
Do not calculate a second to understand whether your tank weapon has been charged or not, but to hear the sound of the recharge and then gently press the gunshot button.
I hope I'm sure of the idea.
Respectfully, Denis
Regards, Denis

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 07:01:43 PM »
Deny, I understand some of your post but part of it is not translated in a way that makes sense to me.

If the re-loading sound is to occur immediately after cannon fire, you can simply include it in the cannon fire sound.

If the re-loading sound is to occur prior to the cannon fire as you suggest, I think this will be impractical because it will lose synchronization with the physical effects on the TCB (recoil, flash, IR, etc.)

Perhaps the best solution is to assign the re-loading sound to a "user sound" (user1.wav for example) and then control it manually whenever you want.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2017, 05:05:53 AM »
I think that what Deny means is that he cannot hear an audible cue that he can fire the cannon again.

A solution for him would be to match the sound length and the "loader" shouting "cannon loaded" or something else like "plug your ears" or "Deny you can now push the fire button" etc..
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2017, 05:07:30 AM »
Although if anyone has other hardware change suggestions, now is the time to mention it!

Err, dual channel/amp with seperate sound channel for engine and cannon fire?

*edit* is it possible to connect two open sound cards to one TCB?
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline Deny

• View Profile
  • Russia
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2017, 05:37:00 AM »
Hi, John! You're right, I'm talking about it.
Regards, Denis

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »
I think that what Deny means is that he cannot hear an audible cue that he can fire the cannon again.

A solution for him would be to match the sound length and the "loader" shouting "cannon loaded" or something else like "plug your ears" or "Deny you can now push the fire button" etc..
Aha! Yes I understand now. In fact that is a very good idea and yes it is certainly possible. I will add this feature soon and let you know when it is available. Thank you for the suggestion.

Err, dual channel/amp with seperate sound channel for engine and cannon fire?

*edit* is it possible to connect two open sound cards to one TCB?
I have not tested it but yes there should be no problem attaching two (or more) sound cards to the TCB. And since the sound card already has dual connectors it will be no problem to daisy-chain them without making any weird Y-cables. Of course it might not sound very good if both are playing the same sound at the same time, but I understand your intent to be - put all engine sounds on one card and all effects on the other. I see no problem with this.

As for the other option - dual channel amplifier with different sounds out different channels - I will consider it. My hesitation would be the size increase but I will explore the idea and see what I come up with. I have not had much time to work on the new design lately, so I guess the good news I haven't gotten very far into it...
Open Panzer FAQs

bomber-explosion