Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
"Painbot" Battle Unit - combined IR apple
« on: October 05, 2018, 07:15:54 AM »
I was trying to source a "Piranha Battle Unit" for some of my builds, but it seems it is impossible to get one for a decent price here in the Netherlands.
Always there was a lot of taxes or shipping costs involved, so i decided to start designing one myselves..

It is not quite finished, but i hope some of you can help me out making some design decisions.
And, like always, i will share the design with the community when it is finished!

So, i started off with the recommended Vishay TSAL6100 and some TSOP32536 that i had lying around.
Some (4) basic 3mm red leds are used. These will be soldered together to a central connector.

The Receiver is became a three part design, bolted together:

And here is the little bugger after being printed in PLA:

The unit is roughly the same size as the Henglong IR receiver..

the only thing i did not really like is the connector on the bottom.. I have a 7pin row with 2,54mm pith mounted in the bottom. Maybe it would be better to use a 7/8 pin din connector or PS/2?
Please share what you think!
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: "Painbot" Battle Unit - combined IR apple
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:27:35 PM »
Interesting as always. Looks like you have created the slots for 4 IR receivers, though in your photo only one is installed. I suppose a fully-equipped unit with 4 receivers and 4 notification LEDs would end up with quite a few pins coming out the bottom, >20? Could be kind of unwieldy.

You might be able to design a small PCB to slot into the case where you could solder all the components and tie the receivers and hit LEDs together, thus reducing the pin count considerably...
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
Re: "Painbot" Battle Unit - combined IR apple
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 03:00:49 AM »
The small PCB is quite a good idea! I could also fit a connector to it and use it as the base of the unit.

Indeed there are 4 receivers and 4 hit leds planned and i wanted to daisy-chain them together with thin wires.
Pin count should be 7 then..
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

bomber-explosion