Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Open Panzer TCB Scout and Sound for a Stug Build - In Red!
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 09:23:16 PM »
The behavior you describe with the LED sounds exactly like what is expected. I'm not sure what is wrong or what you need help with?
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline pandknz

• View Profile
  • Australia
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 10:25:57 PM »
It may be a set up issue, maybe I have not started the engine yet  :o

As I said I have not got my serial cables yet so will not panic till I get these :)
Models that Move

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 10:42:37 PM »
Possibly. Read through the Wiki for the sound card to be sure you have not missed anything. Note the procedure for using it in RC mode is different then when controlled by serial via the TCB. In RC mode you must place all your settings in an INI file on the memory card, and there is a separate utility provided to help create this file. Again, there is documentation in the Wiki.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline pandknz

• View Profile
  • Australia
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 04:43:26 AM »
Ok, set up the ini file etc, I'm still not getting any sound.

What is the speed difference between a hearbeat/slow flashing and a fast error flash?

Mine is about 1 sec on 1 sec off speed rate, is this normal or error? reason I ask is that it does not change when I pull the sd card out and this should cause an error

Models that Move

Offline pandknz

• View Profile
  • Australia
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »
attached a screen shot of my sound during test, only one file loaded on SD card, looks ok but no sound ???
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/pandknz/screenshot%20of%20sound%20test_zps12nyuh4r.png
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:09:24 PM by pandknz »
Models that Move

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »
  • Please use the attach image functionality of the forum to post pictures, rather than putting them in Word documents
  • It looks like you are trying to play the sound using the Test feature with a jumper on RC input 1, is that correct?
  • When you are viewing debug information from the sound card (or any other OP device), do not use the Connect button - instead use Snoop.
  • Make sure your sound file is encoded as 16 bit 44,100 Hz. Open it in Audacity or some other audio program to confirm or convert it if need be.

Open Panzer FAQs

Offline pandknz

• View Profile
  • Australia
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 06:55:41 PM »
Thanks Luke, fixed the file.

I've double checked the wave files and they are ok, run it through the test again in snoop mode and it runs without error, I must have a bridge or something after the processor, maybe through the amp circuit, I will do some testing on the circuit and let you know what I find
Models that Move

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »
Yeah, the amplifier IC on that board is about the only component susceptible to shorting, but it would not be hard to do.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline pandknz

• View Profile
  • Australia
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 12:40:22 AM »
Ok, have not had much time to check the sound card but the USBasp came in so I hooked this up and I am getting an error

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/pandknz/test_zpscgzofpw4.png

when I google the error it seems quite common with the USBasp's from ebay etc, how do I upload new firmware?
Also, before I upload the bootloader should I have any LED's on or flashing? I dont have anything even with a Batt connected.

When I try to upload the firmware I just get a message that relates to the clock settings.

Any ideas?
Models that Move

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »
I don't think you can change the firmware on the USBASP itself, probably you are experiencing a Windows driver issue. Try using the Zadig libusb driver installer, see this page for more. Anyway this is what I have always used.

There is no point trying to flash firmware to your Scout until you have the bootloader installed, so the fact you got errors in OP Config is to be expected.

I don't think you will see any LEDs or activity on the Scout before the bootloader is installed. After the bootloader, you will see the red LED blink slowly. Also - you should apply battery power to the Scout board while trying to flash the bootloader, the USB is not always enough to get the job done.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline pandknz

• View Profile
  • Australia
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 08:08:09 PM »
Hi Luke

Thanks for the info, I have been using this software, I just tried using my laptop just in case it is my PC (Windows 10 64bit) and it came up with the same error message, but a bit more reading on this fault and a lot of people said just to ignore it as its a warning only and it should work fine, so I tried the firmware again and it went 5through 100% no errors, strange??  :o

So was it my PC or was it the fact I put new drivers into my laptop, who knows till I build a second scout (parts on their way).

Good News is that the scout is working 100% perfectly, just need to fine trim the radio as it is getting a little bit of drive in neutral which I used the fine trim on radio to smooth out.
I forgot that when I set up the radio I set it up with a 3 pos switch to control the gearbox, at first I thought I had a problem as it would not reverse...penny dropped in a few seconds  ;D

So all is well, just need to get sound from my sound card and I am a happy Tanker  8)

Will post a picture/video when I get the sound working
Models that Move

Offline pandknz

• View Profile
  • Australia
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 09:31:01 PM »
One other thing, Ive looked through the wiki but cant seem to find the info, when I connect the scout to the TCB via serial cable it runs tx-rx rx-tx and gnd to gnd which is normal but when I add the sound card it runs from TCB to sound in the same way but the sound out to scout is now tx-tx rx-rx gnd-gnd, it wthis just because its a passthrough?
All three are working as far as radio to TCB, TCB to sound and sound to scout as far as the lights are concerned, signals on and off etc when the motors turn, I will hook up the turret next but still no sound  :-[
Models that Move

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2018, 02:22:45 PM »
Good job on the Scout, and I'm sure it's rewarding to have something work that you assembled with your own hands.

The serial labels on the Scout and sound card are relative to the TCB - so TCB TX-O (transmit out) will always go to the Scout/Sound Card RX-I (receive in) for example. I suppose you're right, the labels may look a bit odd from the sound card to the Scout, but the Sound Card is designed so you can connect the TCB to either one of the connectors, it doesn't matter which, so both labels on the Sound Card are relative to the TCB. But yes you are correct, the signal is simply passed straight through from one connector to the next.

From your description it appears your sound card is functioning more or less correctly, but you probably have an issue with the amplifier chip. Typically you will see the orange LED on the Teensy lit up when it is playing a sound file, that is another thing you can check.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline pandknz

• View Profile
  • Australia
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 04:00:50 AM »
Ok, round 2 of building the sound card, with the amp chip is the little triangle line up with the dot on the board at the bottom right looking past the speaker?

This is how I did the last one but want to be sure this is not my issue

Cheers
Paul
Models that Move

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
Yes that is exactly correct. There is a little triangle cut-out on the bottom pad of the chip, on my chips there is also a little cross on the top of the chip at this same corner, these align with the dot on the board on the lower-right side as you mention.

The main thing is not to get too much paste on that footprint before you reflow. You want good coverage, but the layer of paste should be very thin.
Open Panzer FAQs