Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline NS-21

• dreamer
    • View Profile
Re: Testing TCB Firmware with Stock Arduino Mega
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2019, 02:36:04 PM »
This is my first experience with PCB layout and EasyEDA in my life. :(

I have already placed an order, now I am only waiting for the arrival of components.
Should I create a new topic or describe my experience in this topic?

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2019, 03:31:14 PM »
This is my first experience with PCB layout and EasyEDA in my life. :(

I have already placed an order, now I am only waiting for the arrival of components.
Should I create a new topic or describe my experience in this topic?
Good work, your trace layout is very neat! I think we can keep the discussion in this thread where more people will see it.

Am I correct that you still expect to use additional components off-board? For example I see all the light outputs but no MOSFETs to switch them.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline NS-21

• dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2019, 03:44:38 PM »
Yes, I plan on using MOSFETs externally for various third-party devices.

As the saying goes, a good thought comes after I handed over the layout to production, now I would have done some things differently.
But I think this is not the latest version of the board, ideally I would like to make a very small version of the TCB board in size.

And I also want to collect a sound card, since there is no where on sale, and I really liked the functionality from the description.

I am interested in making your designs. I studied the experience of sergevk, and when I laid out the printed circuit board, I based on his experience in placing radio components and connectors, which I think is obvious from the design of my printed circuit board.
When I get a positive experience with the first version of the board, now I want to mark the MOSFETs on the board in the next version.

Offline jhamm

• It´s a hobby no profession!
    • View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2019, 11:39:37 PM »
Hi,
there isn´t any picture or layout to see....

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2019, 12:16:33 AM »
Yes, I plan on using MOSFETs externally for various third-party devices.

As the saying goes, a good thought comes after I handed over the layout to production, now I would have done some things differently.
Yes, I certainly know about that! No sooner do you send your board design off to be produced, do you remember something that should be changed. The production version of the TCB board that Hobby King sold was my 23rd revision. You never get it right the first time!

Anyway I am glad you are interested in building these designs and of course that is one of the goals of the open source project, to have others adapt the existing work to their own needs.

You don't have to link to photos at Google Docs or any other image hosting site, just upload them to the forum using the "Attachments and other options" link below the area where you type your post.

Jurgen, I have attached the two images that NS-21 posted earlier in case you couldn't see them.
12.PNG
TCB Firmware with Stock Arduino Mega 12.PNG
Views: 12032
23.PNG
TCB Firmware with Stock Arduino Mega 23.PNG
Views: 4926
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Wibbly

• View Profile
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2019, 03:24:22 AM »
Just a quick update on my 2560 DIY project.

After a few glitches, and sourcing the reason for them, I seem to have got the drive motors working, along with the turret controls. Just waiting on some more cheap 20amp esc's.

The PWM>PPM converter works, the glitches I narrowed down to an old tx I am using that is less accurate than the firmware expects it to be. Eg the sticks don't always centre at the exact same position each time. The tx was sending false signals, so I disabled the default functions and expanding the dead zone from 10 to 15 sorted the problem.

Hopefully the new esc's will arrive soon, and I will get everything plugged in and see how it runs.

The plan is to see if an installation works all ok, and then think about upgrading the drive esc maybe with a Sabretooth. I can install a Turnigy rx and use my Turnigy tx to improve things, I might even push the boat out and buy a PPM tx/rx??

The next step will then be getting a muzzle flash, and the mechanical recoil working, though if that gets messy I'll change the recoil for a servo, which is easy for me to do.

I have a few DasMikro Mini sound boards, so can hook one of those up, though a side by side test reveals that the Dasmikro boards don't quite have the same sound quality as the originals. They will do the job though.

It's an interesting project, I have learnt a huge amount about how the system works along the way by tinkering, and for anyone else thinking of doing this my advice is to click on those '?' found on the GUI, they provide a wealth of information on how to set things up. Using snoop is the first thing that anyone should do as it tells you what the tx is doing and controlling.

Knowing what I now know, If the TCB ever goes back into production at a good price I would buy them in an instant.
Been into 1/16 tanks for over 10 years.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2019, 09:05:39 PM »
Thanks Wibbly for the positive comments. I'm glad you're making progress on your project and that things are working. Perseverance is the key with all this tinkering and you have certainly stuck with it. Keep us posted, and as always I am happy to help with any new obstacles that spring up in your way!
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jhamm

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2019, 12:28:54 AM »
Hi there,
Luke thank you for the pictures...

Wibbly,
I think you put yourself big stones in the way.
Try the simple things first and buy a iBus or SBus RX - it could not be easier.
All RC-Output at the TCB works perfect - there is no hassle.
Have a look at the 5V voltage, the 2560 board has a voltage regulator with 1A performance - that is not much.
For more than one servo you need extra 5V.
Look at the Picture, there is a 5V 3A voltage regulator.

DasMicro can not be louder or better than a TCB Mini, it only has a 1W amplifier.
Important: You need an 8 ohm speaker with good efficiency like Visaton FRWS-5
If the sound sample is recorded too loud, you get distortion.
IMG_1755.JPG
TCB Firmware with Stock Arduino Mega IMG_1755.JPG
Views: 3281

Offline Wibbly

• View Profile
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2019, 02:05:23 AM »
@jhamm

The purpose of the project was to see what works and what doesn't, I just enjoy tinkering with this sort of thing simply to see if I can get things to work at minimal cost. I already have voltage regulators, amplifiers etc, so I can hook up anything as the project progresses. I have created my own Elmod sound files in the past using Audacity so can load these onto the DasMikro Mini if I need to. Yes, I always use Visaton speakers, they are good, high quality speakers, and 3D printed enclosures improve the output as well. At indoor club meets we all turn the volume down, as ten tanks running indoors quickly become a strain on everyone's eardrums. lol.

There was a rumour that a US distributor was thinking of putting the TCB back into production, I have no idea if that will ever become a reality. There is a market for it now, the low cost DasMikro sound units makes it a viable proposition, but they didn't exist when Hobbyking ceased production.

Like many, I have several transmitters, but none of them are PPM or SBUS. If I bought one it would only be useful for a tank that runs this one board, which would render it uneconomic. All of my other tanks use Elmod and Clark boards (TK22 & TK40) and PWM. The Elmods are flawless, the Clark boards not so much but they do the job.

I also run RC trucks and Rock Crawlers, so my wallet gets emptied very quickly nowadays! ::)

IMG_20191124_082802.jpg
TCB Firmware with Stock Arduino Mega IMG_20191124_082802.jpg
Views: 657
IMG_20190212_150712.jpg
TCB Firmware with Stock Arduino Mega IMG_20190212_150712.jpg
Views: 673

Offline Wibbly

• View Profile
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2019, 10:59:46 AM »
New cheap 20amp esc's arrived today, created a messy wiring loom to test the running gear, and it runs very well. It's set to full acceleration at the moment, but I can tweak that later. I have tested the turret rotation esc and that works as well.

I now need to sort the recoil and muzzle flash, I'm not too bothered about elevation as I rarely use it.

£10 Arduino.
2 x £5 esc's.
£9 signal converter.

Turret will add:
1 x £5 esc.
Servo £3.
Voltage regulator £5

Sound £25 Das Mikro Mini
Speaker £10?

Total around £90 doing it all as cheaply as possible.

Offline jhamm

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2019, 03:20:06 AM »
My opinion is,
for the hobby i use and buy the best i can get.
The TCB is in my eyes the best Solution.

Offline Wibbly

• View Profile
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2019, 04:40:15 AM »
It's only just occurred to me that I have the entire hull and turret loom, complete with mechanical recoil and the muzzle flash unit neatly removed, all complete with screws and mounting plates, including the tx and RX18. I will see how much I can sell this for.

A friend has a PPM tx/rx so I will test the set up using that at some point and then see about buying decent esc's for the motors, and a compatible tx/rx. If it covers the cost, then it's a win/win.  ;) . I have Hobbywing 1060 esc's that I can test on it, so will try those once everything is working nicely. I can then see which components make the biggest difference from the baseline that I now have.

The project for me isn't about the best, I could have just gone and bought another Elmod, or swapped one that I already have, it was simply to see how cheaply I could get this working. The good thing about this set up is that it is all modular. If one component fails then I simply replace it instead of having to buy a complete new aftermarket board at a cost of £100+.  ;D

One question that someone may be able to answer?

I currently have two 2000mah 2S Lipo's installed. One powers the Arduino, the other powers the esc's and recoil servo. Can I assume that using a single battery will work perfectly, I tested it this way to avoid any power spikes to the Arduino, but I am guessing that this is overkill.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2019, 11:58:13 PM »
Thanks Wibbly for keeping us posted. Your tank is running quite well from the looks of it.

One question that someone may be able to answer?

I currently have two 2000mah 2S Lipo's installed. One powers the Arduino, the other powers the esc's and recoil servo. Can I assume that using a single battery will work perfectly, I tested it this way to avoid any power spikes to the Arduino, but I am guessing that this is overkill.
Yes, a single battery should work just fine and I don't expect any issues with spikes to the Arduino, since in fact a single battery is all we use with the TCB. If your drive motors draw too much current and lower the source battery voltage too much the TCB (but more likely your receiver) will brown out (meaning reset), but that is really just an issue of a dead battery rather than spikes or temporary drops.

Just to let you guys know I am in the midst of a long-distance move and will be rather pre-occupied for the next few weeks. But keep on as you are as I suspect many others are reading about your project who aren't posting.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Wibbly

• View Profile
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2019, 03:50:12 PM »
The servo recoil is almost finished, and should work ok. My last task is a muzzle flash. I am looking to use a simple high intensity led, but can't see a pin allocated to one on the PDF schematic.

I see that pin 9 is allocated to the IR emitter.

Could I use that and GND for the flash led?, it would be an easy option as it will be synched to the main gun. The pulse signal may mess things up though. If there is a pin that I can use that would be even better.

I am assuming that pin 41 marked high intensity muzzle flash is for use with the Heng Long flash unit.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2019, 08:35:07 PM »
The IR pin would not be a good choice because it sends out a long signal which will not look like a flash.

There is nothing to stop you using Arduino Pin 41, the Heng Long/Taigen flash unit just takes a short signal so if connected to an LED that would just be a flash.

OP Config also offers the options to configure a flash (or "pulse", same thing) on the Aux Output (Arduino pin 8) or either of the general-purpose I/O A or B (Arduino pins A9 and A8). The Aux output would be best since there is already an "Auto flash with cannon" checkbox to make it even easier (see the Lights & I/O tab).

In any case you probably need to use a transistor rather than drive the LED directly from the Arduino, and remember to use a current-limiting resistor inline with your LED that matches the specs for your LED.
Open Panzer FAQs

bomber-explosion